cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Permanently Restricted with no valid explanation

eBay has permanently suspended my account due to "poor seller performance". However, the only negative review I have received (out of 33 transactions) was a mistake by the buyer during the feedback. The buyer left a comment stating "love the sweater and the quick shipping", however, he accidentally chose the negative icon. This one mistake brought my seller rating down from 100% to 83.3%, because I had only sold 6 items in the past 12 months. 

Due to my 8 month hiatus as a seller, I did not have any incentive to check my eBay email  (which is an email only associated with my Ebay account) or my eBay account to notice the warning notifications of my underperformance. I had no reason to actively check because I wasn't selling or buying at the time. However, when I logged in recently to sell a few items, I noticed that my account was restricted. After talking to two customer service representatives as well as eBay twitter, they have told me my underperformance as a seller has caused them to part ways with my account permanently. 

Even after explaining my situation, and never having a negative transaction as a seller, the only explanation I was given was that my performance was below standards required for Ebay accounts. If there's nothing they can do then I understand, but as a proud eBay member and small seller I did not feel that customer service listened to my explanation, rather they just read me a scripted response (all three customer service representatives responded to my request with the same lines). Although I was disappointed to find out that I can no longer sell on eBay, I was more disappointed with the way eBay customer service handled the situation.  Rules are rules, but it does seem like an extreme response to a simple misunderstanding. Now even my relatives are also restricted from selling all because of my mistake, which I believe is completely unfair to them

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Account Permanently Restricted with no valid explanation

Now even my relatives are also restricted from selling all because of my mistake, which I believe is completely unfair to them

It's possible if you have been sharing an internet address with other sellers, that THEY made the errors that caused all of you to be restricted.

Some reasons for Defects leading to restrictions:

• Refusing to pay for return shipping in a Not As Described dispute.
  • You can refuse a return but not a refund.
  • Late shipping (shipping, not delivery)
  • Out of Stock cancellations
  • VeRO complaints.
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I greatly appreciate that mr.emk. I guess you win some and you lose some.. Wishing you great success as you continue your eBay journey!

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@camar_19 wrote:

Yes my younger brother (21) has an account and we live in the same house.  He got a notification today that his account was restricted because he was associated with my account (even though he has never listed an item for sale) I assume because of the same IP address (he sometimes logs on to his account using my laptop) or the same street address. It seems that eBay is using every possible avenue to prevent me from committing any more egregious acts like selling a few of my old jackets and electronics.. lol

If they suspended your brothers account, any account they associate with his account, will probably be suspended also.

Have a great day
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for the response femmefan,

The only other account is my younger brother who only uses his account to browse items and make small purchases occasionally (shoes, shirts, etc.). He hasn't tried selling any items so I don't think he was responsible. I just checked his account as well as mine for the reasons you stated above, and none of them applied to any of our transactions. Seems like I just ran into some bad luck. 

Nevertheless, I greatly appreciate your help. I have received way more support from people like you in the eBay community than of eBay itself, that is definitely one of the things I will miss most about the site!

Best of luck to you!

-Caleb

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

with a low # of sales one defect in any area could possibly drop the seller rating.

Then over time, not looking at the account, and remaining below standard ends the ability to sell.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Ken,

Thanks for the heads up. I don't believe any other accounts are linked to ours, but I suppose only time will tell. Doesn't seem fair to me that he is having to suffer from my situation which he had no part in, but it seems I've tried everything possible to fix this issue. Hopefully there can be a way for him to get reinstated, perhaps when I move out in a few months ..?

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

What baffles me is I tried to appeal that defect before I was even aware of any threat of restriction (you can look at my response to his feedback). Just by reviewing my seller history it's obvious that my only negative review was an honest mistake from the buyer. 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Feedback is not a Defect. It is an opinion from a buyer on how the transaction went and is not used by eBay to assess accounts.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@camar_19 wrote:

What baffles me is I tried to appeal that defect before I was even aware of any threat of restriction (you can look at my response to his feedback). Just by reviewing my seller history it's obvious that my only negative review was an honest mistake from the buyer. 

Your FB message would not work as the buyer may not have seen it, nor can the buyer change the FB. You should have contacted the buyer via eBay messages and asked them if they would accept a feedback revison request from you and then sent them one - feedback is not a communication tool.

Sorry this is happening to you.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

We don't owe anything, I checked all payments to make sure because I thought that was the issue at first

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I know that this is an old thread but the problem still persists with others. I'm quitting soon because of their policy on 'performance'.  100% positive feedback and poor performance by eBay. 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply