cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Away time and not all items show up as seller away, buyer buys and eBay has other ideas

What's the deal with away time not showing up on all items? I just had a buyer buy something when away time was active and eBay wanted me to still ship the item within my handling time of three days. The buyer requested a cancellation and I approved. 

The item auto relisted and the same program, still shows up as seller not away. 

I go back in and end away time and re-enter time away and now it's a waiting game and hope no one buys anything in the next two hours before it kicks in. I still don't even know if this will work. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Away time and not all items show up as seller away, buyer buys and eBay has other ideas

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'd say it 'used' to work that way (the most 'recent' way), but with glitchy mcglitch, I would NOT take the chance..but even WAY MORE importantly- it is best to 

a.) not go on vacation with 'auctions'- Just END them

b.) ALWAYS just 'BLOCK' views/sales when 'gone'

As for the most part, a seller is looking for trouble because as I stated, MANY won't/don't see that 'mention' of 'seller is away and won't ship anything for 3 weeks' (or whatever it says.

JUST BLOCK sales when doing 'Time Away'. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: Away time and not all items show up as seller away, buyer buys and eBay has other ideas

I found the error, if you list something during away time, that item will not be marked as if you're away. This is just insanity how badly eBay sets stuff up 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

You're right,  your newly listed items show an eta of May 2 - 6 and do not show a time away message.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'd say it 'used' to work that way (the most 'recent' way), but with glitchy mcglitch, I would NOT take the chance..but even WAY MORE importantly- it is best to 

a.) not go on vacation with 'auctions'- Just END them

b.) ALWAYS just 'BLOCK' views/sales when 'gone'

As for the most part, a seller is looking for trouble because as I stated, MANY won't/don't see that 'mention' of 'seller is away and won't ship anything for 3 weeks' (or whatever it says.

JUST BLOCK sales when doing 'Time Away'. 

@stainlessenginecovers  Well, you can do it whichever way you want 🙂  I usually agree with you, but in this case, I disagree with you on all these points.   

It DOES work the way I posted & I haven't encountered any glitch with it.  Though, ofc glitches can always happen, but if you do both, as you're suggesting people still do,  you are  ADDING the handling time you changed to the return date.  Since I was gone for 10 days, I would up adding 10 days to my return date, for an effective delay of 20 days, which is NOT at all what I intended, nor is it reasonable IMO.  

I know it USED to be you needed to add them, but that is quite old info at this point & has an undesirable outcome now.  

I also completely disagree that you should BLOCK sales when you are on Time Away.  That's very much a personal choice.  I routinely leave my sales active when I'm gone for 10 days or less (and have for years) & I've never had an issue with it.  I make lots of sales while I'm gone.   I've never had a buyer not see the message & I used to write them a quick note after a purchase just to make sure they knew.  I finally stopped that, cuz they always had.  

In fact, a few weeks ago, is the first time I've ever blocked sales just b/c of the length of time I would be gone & I had more confused buyers when I blocked sales LOL.  People must have had them on their watchlist & wrote me b/c they couldn't buy & couldn't figure out why.  They even read the message, but said "it didn't say I couldn't buy".  

I'm not advocating for one or the other, I'm just saying that both are valid choices!  I'm sure the choice will partially depend on your selling category.  In mine, my buyer's tend to pay attention to detail & I have no problem keeping my items active while I'm gone.    

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

Regardless....with all the glitches eBay has I wouldn't trust that with a ten foot pole.

I still would extend handling time or hide listings to be on the safe side.

It works fine & has for over a year now.  Granted, glitches can always occur, but this has not been glitchy & I cannot reccomend what you're suggesting, as that can easily double or more your handling time.   I guess if you're ok with that, that's up to you.   But when I discovered it had changed, I was aghast that it took the 10 days I thought I had to enter as a handling time & added it to my Time Away return date, making my delivery dates over 20 DAYS out!   Not only was that not what I'd intended, but IMO, a 20 day handling time is pretty outrageous for what I sell & NOT okay.   I would NEVER want that.  

Not to mention, the change is what most sellers had been saying is how it should have worked back when it was Vacation Settings & they were correct.  eBay changed it with Time Away, to the way we'd all been saying it should work & now there are several people here saying not to do it that way.  Frustrating.  

This is a change they made that was good & it works fine & has for over a year.  I can't promise there won't be a glitch in the future, but that's true for anything on eBay 😄  I don't understand why ppl would reccomend not using a new feature b/c it could glitch in the future.  

Keep in mind though, that there are still EXCEPTIONS & they are now listed on the Time Away page, which is an improvement as well, since those exceptions were well hidden before. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@paxilill wrote:

I found the error, if you list something during away time, that item will not be marked as if you're away. This is just insanity how badly eBay sets stuff up 

Yes.  Also, if you send offers while you're away, it will not be included & your normal handling time applies.  

In this case, I agree with you, they shouldn't assume that you aren't going to do certain things just cuz you're on vacation, but it is actually quite the improvement over the previous system! 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 21 of 21
latest reply