cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is trying to scam me - help?

Just logged into ebay to see a scathing negative feedback accusing me of selling tampered product. This is patently fake because I buy my items from authorized distributors only (who get them item from manufacturer), and then I pack the item and ship to buyer. Buyer is claiming that I somehow managed to open this product, take the desirable product out, and re-seal it. Yeah, sure, ok.

If he tries to open up a claim, how do I even defend myself against something so outrageous? I've sold something like 30+ of this product with nothing but glowing positive feedback and this was literally my last one. I'm angry, annoyed, and everything in between. I've been selling items like these for years and have never had this accusation.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buyer is trying to scam me - help?

I can relate to your frustration. However there is nothing you can do about it. I guarantee that you are going to lose.  Be grateful if Ebay will make Buyer to send the item back in addition to full refund. In the worst case, you will pay shipping both ways, and get negative feedback.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It sounds like the buyer did not find what they were looking for when they opened all the packs so now they may try to get their money back using the Ebay money back guarantee good for ALL scammers. If the individual cards have any value, if you are lucky, they will return all of them to you for which you will likely have to pay for the return shipping. Sad, but true.

Now, if you are a top rated seller and offer 30 day or free returns, you can report them as having not returned the item in the same condition as sent by you and then only have to refund them 50% of the purchase price. That would be the best outcome that I can see. Good luck with this. Hope you are a top rated seller.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Even if I can prove item legitimacy through official invoices? That seems insane!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If he already left negative feedback, it will be difficult to change that without some effort on your part with eBay.  Given the current situation with customer service in email response mode only, its going to be even more difficult. 

As hard as this is, reach out to your customer with a polite mail (while biting your lips) and ask them why they felt it was tampered with.  Let him know you really care and that you need to understand as you are still selling this product and it would be helpful to know. Ask him what he wants to do and that you stand behind the product and your supplier.   See what his response is, and then decide what to do.  This may preempt another issue in the future. 

It may also be his undoing based on his response.  Also see if he is open to changing the feedback.  Was this an expensive product? 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It was indeed expensive - over $200. I just don't get the "logic" these guys try to apply - someone posted a positive feedback saying that they pulled a card that was worth, no joke, $1000, from one of my packs, and he still thinks I'm tampering? Guess I forgot to tamper with that other guy's packs? I must be awful at my scamming lol

Thanks for the tip - when I calm down I'll see what I'll do exactly. Need to get my nerves about me.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply