cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check this out!

I just got a bid on an item with ZERO VIEWS!!!  Just curious how do you think that is possible?!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Check this out!

I don't think it is possible to have a bid without a view - an actual view.  Delayed view count might be the culprit.  OR, and I'm just spit balling - would browsing in incognito mode result in no registered view?  I wouldn't think so, now that I think about it.  

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Sorry, you did post a question. Not sure how I missed that - must have been reading too fast (doing too many things at once this afternoon/evening) and hastily read your post as a statement.

lucky's post was, as you pointed out, about fixed price. I do not know the answer to how one can place a "bid" on an auction format listing without viewing it or if that's systematically possible. What I do know is this:

I gave the post a thumbs up because I believed the info, while adjacent to the OP (fixed price vs auction), was still relevant and good info to share.

Some people come here and mix up terms, calling all listings (including fixed price) auctions and calling all sales (including fixed price) bids so it's possible someone will come here searching those  terms and find lucky's answer to be the solution to their question.

I also believe the view counter is wrong. I'm part of a seller group and we did some testing this past Fall on the view counter and results showed that views, even direct clicks when a listing comes up organically through search, are not always registered. Not even delayed - just not registered at all. We  had a few listings that received many organic views from our test and some direct views from shared listing links, yet several days later still displayed zero views.

I do not doubt that some views are registered with delays as you suggested, but I have no testing to back this up.

None of that is a direct answer to your resolve questions @pburn, but I hope it helps you and/or others in some capacity.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I wouldn't think too much about it. Views never have been all that accurate.

I sometimes send out offers and sometimes offers are available on listings with no watchers. Who knows.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@pargran3 wrote:

I wouldn't think too much about it. Views never have been all that accurate.

I sometimes send out offers and sometimes offers are available on listings with no watchers. Who knows.

Seller Initiated Offers don't go exclusively to watchers. They go to "interested buyers", ie: people that put items in their shopping cart and people that view your listing multiple times (I don't remember exactly but I think it's three times).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

It is possible that the first person to view the item placed the bid but the bid was registered before the view.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

I know   …. thanks 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

They may have gotten a popup to bid on it before they decided to open the page.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

I don't know how it happens but it happened to me recently that I had a Bid without a view.  In my case I messaged the Bidder the link to a item that I just listed because I thought they may be interested in it.  They placed their BID almost immediately. 

It could be that Views and Bids are not exactly updated together.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply