cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condition Wording Issues

I always have done well selling high-end colognes half-full whether the customer used the cologne or bought them as collector bottles.

I got some so I'm fixed to list them but my only options for "condition" were "new with box" or "new without box" and not "used".

So I went to eBay policy to see if they recently banned used cologne.  Turns out they didn't; they remained the policy that they just had to be in the original container.

So I did some searching around and sellers got around this by listing their used cologne as "new without box".

So should I do the same thing and pretend they're "new without box" when they're used or should I take all this cologne to the flea market?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Condition Wording Issues

I thought the constraints for listing "used" in this category had changed recently, but did a quick search and did not find it.  I do remember other Sellers posting about the changes and not being happy about same.

This is thread I thought I had bookmarked:

Fragrance listings - Condition required but won't ... - The eBay Community

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

not one to be a stickler but you cant sell used perfume I think

something to do with safety or shipping or hygiene

not sure if cologne and perfume rules are similar but I have read that on these boards before

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

cologne= cosmetics = can not sell USED.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Sounds absolutely disgusting, why would anyone pay money for used hygiene products? GROSS!

Maybe if the bottles were empty and cleaned properly for collectibles ok, but with stuff still in it? Eek that makes my skin crawl at the thought of it.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

flea market items if you ask me

posters are not really supposed to advise you on how to break the rules

I am sure lots of people sell used cologne but they just have not been caught yet

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Listings for used cosmetics, sponges, or applicators are not allowed. This includes products such as skin moisturizers, sunscreens, perfumes, lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial makeup preparations, shampoos, permanent waves, hair colors, toothpastes, and deodorants.

From the Policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/used-cosmetics-policy?id=4290 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Very interesting thread.  eBay claiming it's the FDA when other people say the FDA doesn't regulate used cosmetics.  Flea market items indeed.  This is why I've been doing less and less on eBay recently.

One lady every week spent mega dollars with each vendor including myself at the flea market because she had an eBay store.  She was recently kicked off.  So sad.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Sounds absolutely disgusting, why would anyone pay money for used hygiene products? GROSS!

Maybe if the bottles were empty and cleaned properly for collectibles ok, but with stuff still in it? Eek that makes my skin crawl at the thought of it.

Perfume is a bit different from hygiene products - in fact, it's something you could sample easily in stores - it generally comes in spray bottles, atomizers, etc. Problem is shipping it.  I'm not surprised you can't sell it here anymore, either, because it's impossible to regulate it, but it's not like selling swatched or used cosmetics.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

You will have to donate them or give to friends and family members. You cannot sell used perfume on Ebay.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@jerrythecrazyguy wrote:

Very interesting thread.  eBay claiming it's the FDA when other people say the FDA doesn't regulate used cosmetics. 

I see nothing on this page that mentions the FDA. eBay says it is their own decision: 

"Used cosmetics present health and safety concerns because the products and applicators used to apply them often come into direct contact with the body. This is why we generally don't allow them to be sold on eBay."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/used-cosmetics-policy?id=4290#section...

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

My main business is flea markets.  They will be for sale at the flea market.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@jerrythecrazyguy wrote:

My main business is flea markets.  They will be for sale at the flea market.

That's actually a better place - if you can keep people from sampling them to death. 😣 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Perfume is a bit different from hygiene products - in fact, it's something you could sample easily in stores - it generally comes in spray bottles, atomizers, etc. Problem is shipping it.  I'm not surprised you can't sell it here anymore, either, because it's impossible to regulate it, but it's not like selling swatched or used cosmetics.

I was thinking of the bottles of cologne I've seen where they have a lid that unscrews entirely.

Who knows what someone could possibly do to contaminate or poison an open container like that.

No offense intended and certainly not suggesting this about the op, but there are some real weird/sick people out there and I don't' even want to think what someone could possibly do to an open container of liquid that is intended to make contact with your skin...

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

I was thinking of the bottles of cologne I've seen where they have a lid that unscrews entirely.

Who knows what someone could possibly do to contaminate or poison an open container like that.

No offense intended and certainly not suggesting this about the op, but there are some real weird/sick people out there and I don't' even want to think what someone could possibly do to an open container of liquid that is intended to make contact with your skin...

It's not something I personally worry about - perfume generally contains about 80% alcohol - but again it's hard to regulate it so I'm not surprised it isn't allowed to be sold here anymore.  The cologne I sold all came from a perfume sales rep, for instance, so I knew where it had been, and it sold almost immediately here (in the days when used perfume was allowed). I don't recall having any of the direct application bottles save for some Joy which was mine and sold about a day after I Iisted it.  There is definitely a market.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 18
latest reply