cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay up to no good again.

I recently read a post where a seller achieved top rated sellers status and his sales suddenly and suspiciously  tanked.

I was recently promoted from "rockstar" to  "super star" status in the ebay community.

Yesterday I had a zero sales day.

I can't help but wonder if the two are somehow connected.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Ebay up to no good again.

I can confirm. I usually get sales in the same 8-10 States for years now. 

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

*if the search engine is even working properly.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Now, no one is doing any of that. Just a little touch of humor in the day. These boards can’t all be conspiracy theories and complaints about life.

again, people look past the obvious underlying message. The type of post that is being parodied Should be a wake up call to the conspiracy theory crowd. You actually had a person aiming for sales on being top rated. If people would just Take a second to realize how ridiculous some of these conspiracy theories are, They would be embarrassed.

Really, what is better – people egging you on that slow as sales are everyone else’s fault, or someone telling you that your destiny is in your own hands?

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

@inhawaii 

I'm pretty sure it was the NFL draft that slowed down your sales.  Just a thought...🏈

Happy Selling, Superstar!

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

@inhawaii   obviously you started this post in jest but it is interesting how it rallied all the cheerleaders in support. You assembled a list of the people who mock ebay sellers that are just trying to make sense of the inconsistencies they see, and turn to the boards for help. 

I would agree that some of what we see here on the boards is a tad on the conspiracy spectrum but anyone who believes that ebay is perfect and infallible is just not open to reason.    "Don't confuse me with the facts- I've already made up my mind" pops into my head for some reason lol.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

There is no list, I've heard it's a random rotating sort of thing that eBay does to intentionally suppress sales.

Random?

Nahhh… it’s the “secret suppression algorithm,” which was developed, in part, by allowing the eBay AI to use its “sixth sense.”

The same basic algorithm is used to produce “ghost listings.”

I’m seriously considering stocking a line of eBay-branded tin foil hats.

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

This was a favorite saying/quote my mom used to say all the time.

Thanks for the smile this morning.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@inhawaii

I can't help but wonder if the two are somehow connected.

Of course they are connected. Haven't you been reading the forums?  I made Top Rated Seller years ago and my sales have never recovered.

The only thing keeping my sales alive is that I am just a "Guide" in the user forums.  I will most likely need to close my account if I become a "Superstar".  I plan to start with a brand-new eBay account if that ever happens to me. 

Sure, you are a "Superstar", but is it worth it? Look what it's done to your sales. So sad 🙄!

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

One major problem I have with sellers commenting on others' plights is the term 'conspiracy theories.'  Conspiracies are when 2 or more people plot something.  There is no plotting.  Here is  an example.  If you want to run a McDonald's, even though it is your business, you must abide by certain rules McDonald's wants you to follow.  That is not a conspiracy.  The problem with eBay is, they started out being a middle man.  Now, they act like McDonald's.  You can join but if you don't do this & do that, your sales will suffer.  However, eBay sellers are, mostly, individuals trying to earn extra cash.  People do not join eBay to be part of a franchise.  Many are not even a business.  Why should they have to act like they are to suit eBay's business model?  eBay's interference in the seller/buyer relationship needs to go back in time. 

Another occurrence that isn't a conspiracy - when eBay allows buyers to keep the money AND the item in INR cases.  eBay refunds a buyer with YOUR money & eventually, knows full well the buyer has stolen from you & throws what their hands saying, "It your problem.  You deal with it now."  They didn't conspire with the buyers but they are complicit.  Nothing illegal about it but an immoral policy.

I feel MANY Americans will not buy from a Canadian.  It isn't a conspiracy either.  They did not get together & plot that.  It is individuals each (narrow-mindedly) making their own decision.

I like humor.  I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next guy.  Often, I try to make jokes here.  However, I do it without looking down on others' opinions on why their eBay success or failure is at a certain level.  If my mocking of others mocking of people isn't funny then why is the original mocking humorous?  😛  It all depends on each person's narrative.

Everyone enjoy your weekend!    🙂

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@siamjane8 

@powell-memorabilia 

@sakic92710 

I have a different take on @inhawaii 's humor.

I don't believe I ever mock other eBay sellers trying to make sense of things and turning to the boards for help. I certainly don't believe eBay is perfect and I believe eBay intentionally keeps sellers in the dark instead of notifying sellers of new changes already implemented or of glitches.

This post was not a response for user help, but an attempt at humor. I thought it was funny. Not because sellers ask the question, but because the questions can only be answered with speculation. eBay has all the statistics and details of what is happening behind the curtain. Sellers don't even have the Wizard behind the curtain to talk to... I understand in some cases moderators can communicate with the Wizard behind eBays curtain, and in some cases let us know to come back tomorrow. 

I ask the same questions.

q. Why are my sales bad this week?

a. People no longer want vintage items. Your prices are too high

q. I just raised my prices, why did my sales go up?

a. People now love vintage items.

I am not making fun at the sellers' questions. Any hope at finding any possible real answer for many questions would require information only eBay has but is unwilling to share with sellers. I can get mad or laugh. For my sanity, I choose to laugh.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

I have noticed that I think it was 2 days ago where ebay was playing games with the platform, closing it down at least 3 times(I gave up trying to get anything done) and then sales went down to near zero, now I have anywhere from 10-30 sales a day for years,,,but it seems like everytime ebay is playing around that sales drop for awhile which I can only ASSUME it affects the search engine and exposures....kind of like when you go on vacation closing the store, then when you open it back up it takes awhile to repopulate your items into the search engines....

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Tho some dont think so,and choose to continue to criticize the 'cheerleaders', laughter is the best medicine.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

I must disagree that buyers that won’t purchase from a seller in Canada are narrow minded. We aren’t – we just factor in the extra time and expense for a shipment from Canada.

I don’t usually buy from sellers outside of the United States, but it happens. I have even bought from you. An item must be at a decent discount, including shipping, for me to want to deal with the extended wait.

another issue is returns - I don’t want to deal with a more difficult return, if there are issues, and I really don’t want a seller stuck with a high return postage expense.

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

You were not the only one. We haven't had a sale in three days. Even listing everyday, as they say has not improved anything.  Best wishes everyone.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Thank you for buying from me.  🙂  But you have bought from Canadians so you are not a 'never will' deal with us.  🙂  You are not in the category I was mentioning.  I applaud you!  lol  Just hope it was a good experience for you each time you ventured out.  

Message 30 of 35
latest reply