cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International shipping orders going through even though I disabled all countries other than U.S.!

Still experiencing this extremely frustrating issue a week after contacting eBay!  All countries other than the U.S. have been removed from my shipping preferences.  I am also opted out of the eBay International Shipping Program so there is no way anyone outside the U.S. should be able to purchase one my items.  This is the 3rd time it has occurred in the past week!  (This time from Canada).  What exactly do I have to do to make this stop?! 

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: International shipping orders going through even though I disabled all countries other than U.S.

@evelyb30 wrote:

You can't block people using freight forwarders.  I used to ship to Canada with no problem, at least before the Pandemic.  

I didn't say you could. This has nothing to do with 'blocking' a buyer. I asked because maybe the seller does not know the typical Freight Forwarding Companies (Cali, Oregon, Delaware, Florida) so that is why I asked.

According to the OP, the 'ship to' address is a Canadian one, so I have no idea how they (the buyer in CA) is able to purchase an item that the Seller does NOT ship to?? 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Re: International shipping orders going through even though I disabled all countries other than U.S.

@janet9988 wrote:

@mahahooey wrote:

I'm sorry, what exactly is a "freight forwarder?"  Pardon my ignorance on that.  The address came up clearly indicated as being in Canada.  No forwarding address from the U.S. included.  

I am so curious as to HOW the buyer was able to buy and pay for the item if you did not have a shipping option for Canada.

This is what I see when using a Canadian address.......

janet9988_2-1670028622268.png

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@janet9988 There is a chance that the buyer changed their shipping address after they won the bid but before they paid for their purchase.

Have had one buyer who changed their shipping address twice after winning one of my auctions before finally settling on a freight forwarder in my own country. 

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

At what point are you seeing the international address? If you are immediately canceling the transaction before the buyer has paid, there is a good chance the ship-to address would have been domestic, and therefore the buyer would have had access to your listings thru a freight forwarder. You will see the buyer’s registered foreign location prior to the transaction being completed.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

I just had the same thing happen to me and I think I may have figured it out.  Even though I have "No International Shipping" on, I didn't have North America on my exclusion list, so a Canadian purchaser was able to buy an item from myself.  Under No International Shipping, it says that your listing will only appear on ebay.com, so if an international buyer is using .com instead of .ca for example, and Canada isn't on your exclusion list, the international buyer may be able to purchase your item.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@monroe67 

BTW again, our Canadian cohorts, however, get a better deal on their eBay international fees. They pay only a 0.4% international fee when they sell to buyers in the US. That's virtually free, in comparison to our 1.65%.

-------

I have no idea what that statement has to do with this topic but since you brought it up, I'll comment. Each seller is different but I would guess that the majority of sales by Canadian sellers are international  (mainly to the US) so 'virtually free" means that we pay at least .4% on 70-85% of our sales. If the international buyer is in a country other than the US, we pay 1%.    The majority of US sellers have a small percentage of international buyers so they may pay a higher fee of 1.65% but it is likely on much smaller percentage of their sales. 

US sellers have a  potential domestic market of 331 million people. We have a potential domestic market of only 38 million people. Many US sellers are content to sell only in the US but If we sold only in Canada, it wouldn't be worthwhile for most of us to sell on ebay.  Perhaps ebay has a lower international fee to encourage Canadian sellers to sell here.   Is that 'fair'? I don't know but I suspect that is the reasoning behind it.

Btw, those sellers who use the new international program will have an international selling fee of 0%.  Now that is 'virtually free'.  I imagine they are doing that to encourage US sellers to use the program and sell internationally.   

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Some international buyers have a US address.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

I'm curious too!  eBay is "looking into this" (ahem!), but I have little faith in the results as they have never, not once in 25 years of selling reached out to me to close the loop on any tech issues that needed resolving.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

The address was Canadian in the email confirmation of the sale.  I reached out to the buyer before he paid to ask and he confirmed that he is located in Canada.  

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate that, but I don't think this would apply.  I have "North America" checked off on my shipping preferences list and also "Canada" as a country beneath it so clearly someone from Canada should not be able to make the purchase.  

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

We have had on several occasions international buyers able to "buy" our items but cannot pay for it.  The items were blocked for international sales. It shows as  a waiting payment order on our end.  Ebay then wants us to send an invoice to the buyer with the international freight charges.  After much trial and error, we found that these buyers are getting our "automatic offers" ebay automatically sends on our items. It appears our offers go to anyone even if they are outside the USA.  They are able to then purchase from the offer but cannot pay because there is no shipping/shipping charges to their country.  We contacted ebay after we found this and they said they send offers to all potential buyers because we might change our mind and ship to the international customer.  That made no sense to me ( I block for a reason ) but possibly the agent was not correct in their response to the issue.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@mahahooey wrote:

I'm curious too!  eBay is "looking into this" (ahem!), but I have little faith in the results as they have never, not once in 25 years of selling reached out to me to close the loop on any tech issues that needed resolving.

Did the buyer PAY?

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@mahahooey wrote:

The address was Canadian in the email confirmation of the sale.  I reached out to the buyer before he paid to ask and he confirmed that he is located in Canada.  

That was their registered address.

When they pay, they can use a US address.

Have a great day
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Canada?  Canadians?  Holy Guacamole. You best be super careful they don't try and pay using Timmie cards.  I won't even bring up Canadian Tire money. You can never be too careful with those north of the 49th. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

lol@snoopwiz 

Savages!

Hi there, I was just thinking of you the other day!

All good thoughts of course.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply