cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ebay still dead in 2024

Yes. Although certain answers on google ..... will say otherwise. Facebook marketplace is still the number one platform,aside from selling locally. Now if your just selling Chinese knockoffs ,then ebay may still be an ok place to sell. But for an individual,part time seller, or hustler, its the absolute worst. ebays numbers have ONLY went down consistently for around 5 years now,maybe longer. But I'm sure that if you're searching this,it's because you've noticed your 0 views and 0 sales, right? Personally I barely list anything on the platform anymore,there's really no use. Especially when ebay is not even close to being the #1 selling platform. Things like Etsy and Facebook marketplace are killing it,where as ebay.... Is being killed. But it's mostly the fault of the people who run ebay,not yours. Although people will tell you that's it's my fault,or you're fault,it's clearly not. Nobody likes ebay anymore,and ebay doesn't like you. Items that sold in the hundreds daily,will never get views or sales,especially if you don't use promoted listings. But they sell locally and on other platforms constantly. My listed video game console gets 4 views in a month on ebay,while it gets sold immediately in person. Daily. But years ago on ebay,it would also sell immediately. People don't suddenly dislike video games,or retro games,or consoles. My pictures aren't suddenly horrible,and my pricing is still spot on. So how is this even happening? Because ebay is a dead platform.You're better off having a yard sale or getting  a booth at a local vendor mall. That's how I've been mainly selling for the last year and its great. Not everyone has that luxury though. But yes ,don't worry,ebay is still dying it's slow death. It's going down with disney ,AAA gaming, "mainstream" news, streaming services. All things that you probably think are making millions right? Wrong,some of them are infact losing billions.(Not all companies or games are this bad,I understand) Yes,these companies and platforms are not successful. Meaning no,they do not make money. This includes ebay. Thats not to say that money isn't coming in to these companies,it's to say that they are bleeding more than they have,struggling to stay above a yearly loss or worse numbers than the year before(consistently),and failing miserably. Even twitch,the largest video/gaming platform where some of their users make millions each years. They are losing money,even though video games are a 150 billion dollar industry. Disney lost billions last year,and the year before,and the year before...Numbers have tanked,and are still consistently tanking here at ebay. Woke is broke,dinosaurs are out of touch, and scammy practices are being out more often and more swiftly today. Nobody is falling for the **bleep** anymore and people are smarter than these ceos think. Google lies about these things,news outlets regurgitate the same garbage, and ebay trolls will be here to tell you otherwise.  

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: Is ebay still dead in 2024

It's the economy, at least for the most part. When you stop the inexpensive oil production we had in the US and buy it from foreign sources, who also are the worst polluters, of course, the price of oil and everything associated with it goes up.

Everything used in the manufacturing process uses oil. Transporting all the materials to make a product to the US warehouses, then to eBay sellers, and ultimately to the buyer costs substantially more.

Our buyers use discretionary income to purchase our products. Because of the high cost of oil and other inflationary factors, that discretionary income becomes nondiscretionary income, which they use to pay for the higher costs of necessities such as rent or loans, clothing, food, bill payments, goods, and services.

We do not blame eBay for slower sales, as we experience the same on other venues like Walmart, Amazon, and our website. We blame the government for its outrageous continuous spending, which requires the continuous printing of money ("Mo Money Mo Problems"), decreasing the value of the dollar and creating inflation.

And that's that!

Message 91 of 93
latest reply

I made a killing on Facebook marketplace for about a year and then it died. It doesn’t come back. Happens to many. I really think they rotate sellers. Do good for about year. Die. New sellers come in. Do good for a year. Die. Vicious cycle with them.  See posts on Facebook Marketplace & Shop Discussion.

Message 92 of 93
latest reply

Took The Words Right out my Mind Exactly. 110% This Bleep is Ridiculous. I used to sell around 20 items a day on average. Now Im lucky to get 20 orders a month. Its not the product. Its not the pricing. 

Fees are way to high to sell anything lower than $25-$50. Depending on the work involved. Facebook Marketplace is the spot. I sell daily on there. You can do Target Marketing Advertising techniques on social media outlets and have better success.

Ebay is a crap shoot now. Some weeks are totally dead. I be listing items daily. Still dont work. The algorithm  is all about sellers being perfect. Buyers are able to do returns now no matter what. Also they want you to be a Top Rated Seller. Which is nearly impossible now. Depending on the products your selling and how much.

I have lost my faith in ebay. I am exploring other avenues. Ebay will be dead by end of 2025. Used to be great spot to put an item on Auction. I would get bidding wars. Now buyers wait till the last day hour second to bid in hopes of getting the item at the starting price. Which really ebay should refund fees for any extras on an auction if it sells at the asking price. 

They are all about pushing there stupid promotions. Recommending you take another 10%-20% off your product that is already on sale. Its a no win situation. Throwing good money after bad.

Blessed No Stress

Aaron James

Ebay seller for over 2 decades!

Aaron Arthur
Michigan Surplus
Eairtool1
Sale America One
Proauctioneers
Message 93 of 93
latest reply