cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No market for these?? Wow!

How unfortunate that there does not seem to be a market for Lions Club banners.  Very strange considering how famous the organization is!  7,400 listings & only 33 sales.  No ads on Marketplace.  I'll have to try my luck there since there is no competition & see if I luck out finding a collector.   1 of many things where I need to find a collector!  lol  Best of luck in your selling, inventory searches & collecting.   🙂

001.jpg

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: No market for these?? Wow!

I would think the only people that would be interested in something like that is someone who a( has ties to the area mentioned on the banner, and b( has ties to a Lions Club.  Who else would want that and what would you do with it?

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

How unfortunate that there does not seem to be a market for Lions Club banners.  Very strange considering how famous the organization is! 

Famous once upon a time, maybe, but I bet if you went out on the street and asked people under the age of 60 what a Lion's Club is, 99% of them wouldn't have a clue.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@onefootflippers I also wonder whether his dominant market position---with most at $25.00---skews this----what would overall sell through look like if he were asking $10.00 each instead? Maybe not very different---price might not be as important as the fact that there is limited demand, period. But at $10.00, there might be more interest, including from people who would use them as decor rather than as "Lions Club Collectibles" In short, sell through MIGHT be a lot better if just this one seller cut his price a good bit. (Of course, without knowing what he paid, and what his other costs are, I don't know if that would be a good business decision or not.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I have sold fraternal collectibles over the years.

Many fraternal organizations are dying. Some are selling off their real estate.

I still sell some fraternal collectibles on Ebay, but sales are no where near what they once were.

This banner is CANADIAN even when sales were more active, most US collectors has no interest in Canadian collectibles.

On the plus side, many sellers who sell fraternal collectibles have given up on Ebay, so sometimes one gets a quick sale on a new listing because there are fewer offers than there once were.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@onefootflippers While I think sell through rate is important, I also think it is easy to place too much emphasis on it. I've been here long enough to know that ebay sellers have different goals, different situations, etc. 

Oh, I agree. I buy singular bad sell through rate items all the time. If I see 200 listed and 3 sold on an item that tells me that if I price mine lowest it probably still sells in a month.  However buying a large amount of a bad sell through category or any unique item in a bad sell through category is another story altogether. I think those banners are like yearbooks, lowering the prices will not make them sell because they are waiting for the specific customer. 

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

I sell primarily in vintage collectibles, which continues to be strong for me. I happen to own my inventory outright, so I'm able to play with the margins a bit.

However, once the Baby Boomer generation ages out, I do think it will be a bit tougher. Not only are they the largest generation (me included), but they also own the title of "having the most stuff". Their parents lived during the depression where they were taught to KEEP EVERYTHING because they couldn't afford to replace it. That is why there is a plethora of storage units FILLED with stuff,  most of which is not worth the storage rent paid over the 15-20 yrs they have it. I do expect to see a huge influx of vintage collectibles to hit the market all at once in the next 5-yrs or so, which is bad news for the category.   

azdfh.jpg

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@onefootflippers wrote:

The seller is Mr Buys a Lot. He has an every increasing in size ebay store that has a 65 year sell through rate. He operates on just listing everything he can get his hands on for at least $20 and counting on enough of them to sell to make a profit. His 100,000 item store only does $3000 in sales a month. 

If you count him in the mix then these banners have a 56 year sell through rate. If you take him out of the mix then they have a 27 year sell through rate. 

You also need to consider what he actually pays for stuff. The odds are he actually paid PENNIES for each of them. But on all other accounts, you are correct. Truth be told though, he sits on more stuff then he moves. He is the epitome of what most eBay seller become, which are hoarders. They buy more and more stuff, but are not selling out of anything, and items just languish for years in their stores. People like him sell enough out of a buy to pay for it and put some profit in their pockets, but end up sitting on more then they actually sell.  His old warehouses had stuff that sat for years, and was water damaged because he just had PILES of junk that he was not actively trying to sell. It was just all in messy piles. 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

I have a bunch of Lions Club pinbacks that I gave up on .Going to try to blow them out at a flea market this summer.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Heey!  I posted this banner & already have a view AND watcher.  That won't even get me a single gum.  lol

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

@onefootflippers wrote:

The seller is Mr Buys a Lot. He has an every increasing in size ebay store that has a 65 year sell through rate. He operates on just listing everything he can get his hands on for at least $20 and counting on enough of them to sell to make a profit. His 100,000 item store only does $3000 in sales a month. 

If you count him in the mix then these banners have a 56 year sell through rate. If you take him out of the mix then they have a 27 year sell through rate. 

You also need to consider what he actually pays for stuff. The odds are he actually paid PENNIES for each of them. But on all other accounts, you are correct. Truth be told though, he sits on more stuff then he moves. He is the epitome of what most eBay seller become, which are hoarders. They buy more and more stuff, but are not selling out of anything, and items just languish for years in their stores. People like him sell enough out of a buy to pay for it and put some profit in their pockets, but end up sitting on more then they actually sell.  His old warehouses had stuff that sat for years, and was water damaged because he just had PILES of junk that he was not actively trying to sell. It was just all in messy piles. 

It doesn't matter how much he paid for the stuff, he could have been paid to haul it off. All I see is someone paying $3000 a month for an Enterprise store and only selling $3000 a month. He did have a once in a lifetime sale of something for over $10,000 last month, but his usually volume is around $3000 a month. He is losing money on ebay fees alone. 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Here I was, going nuts with only 600 items in my store and some back stock when I was full time. 😕 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

44012_0-1713977842942.png

I sold this back in December to a really nice person in Alaska! 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply