cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really eBay? Every Sale is Via Promoted???

I've been hobby selling on eBay for over a decade and have sold close to 2,000 items organically over the years. Just started to promote a couple months ago because sales got a bit stagnant. Now EVERY item I sell somehow sells VIA PROMOTED LISTING! This can't be reality. I would still naturally have some sales, not promoted? Right? Hmmmm....

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Really eBay? Every Sale is Via Promoted???

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I have always been curious how sellers that use PL and claim that it increases their sales know for sure. How do you know for sure the item would not have sold organically without PL? 

@dbfolks166mt  

Well, you are correct that you really can't ever know that for sure b/c it's impossible to know if the person would have bought anyway.   That said, I've been selling here since 96, so I had an excellent handle on my patterns & with such a dramatic difference in sales (my sales tripled in the early days of PL's) , it was pretty clear to me that it was the PL's that were responsible.  Esp since I could see that almost every sale was a PL sale.  Would some of those have sold anyway?  I'm sure some would have, but based on my prior sales, I am confident it would not have been many.  

Ofc, that was all back in the early days, before so many people were using PLs.  Now, my sales are nowhere near 3x what the used to be 😞 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I have always been curious how sellers that use PL and claim that it increases their sales know for sure. How do you know for sure the item would not have sold organically without PL? 

@dbfolks166mt  

Well, you are correct that you really can't ever know that for sure b/c it's impossible to know if the person would have bought anyway.   That said, I've been selling here since 96, so I had an excellent handle on my patterns & with such a dramatic difference in sales (my sales tripled in the early days of PL's) , it was pretty clear to me that it was the PL's that were responsible.  Esp since I could see that almost every sale was a PL sale.  Would some of those have sold anyway?  I'm sure some would have, but based on my prior sales, I am confident it would not have been many.  

Ofc, that was all back in the early days, before so many people were using PLs.  Now, my sales are nowhere near 3x what the used to be 😞 

Well there you go... The inevitable regression that was ALWAYS going to be the end result of PL's...

But wait...all hope is not lost... All you have to do now is push your promotions to 20% and pay ebay 40% of your items price in fees RIGHT OFF THE TOP and maybe you'll see that boost you were so happy to get "in the early days" that you put your entire business, as well as the sites viability on the line for in the first place...

Message 47 of 64
latest reply

Just because you keep repeating the same thing doesn't make it true. 

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

The kicker on that is how eBay calculates how much they receive for "promoting" the item.  Let's say you have a 5% promotion rate, and you list an item for $27.... and it sells!    So, the buyer then pays for the item but sales tax in the amount of $3 was added on...the buyer paid $30.   What number does eBay use to calculate how much $ they receive for their "promotional activites" which according to them were responsible for the item selling?  Drum roll.....they use the $30 figure so they would receive $1.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much equivalent to stealing..........   

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

And as others have stated the fact that eBays pls fee is based on total plus taxes is an absolute money grab. 

Message 50 of 64
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

Just because you keep repeating the same thing doesn't make it true. 

Just because it doesn't match your point of view, it doesn't make it false either.  It only means you don't agree. 

However the facts are that PL is a TOOL Ebay offers.

It is a fact that sellers are not forced to use the PL tool.

It is a fact that sellers can choose to use the tool or not.

It is a fact that PL works great for some seller and not so much for others.

I'm unsure as to what you actually object to as the above is what I said in my post that you find to be untrue, yet they are all actual facts.

My post you are responding to said:  

No it is a TOOL, like several others offered on the site, that cost money to use.  It is the seller's CHOICE to use the tools or not.  No one forces you to use the tool nor is it a requirement.  It is simply charging you for a service rendered like so many other things in life.  If you don't like it, don't use it.

PL works great for some sellers and not so much for others.  Some sellers use the tool and others don't.  It is simply a decision for each seller to make for themselves.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 51 of 64
latest reply

@destinysdarlings2013 wrote:

The kicker on that is how eBay calculates how much they receive for "promoting" the item.  Let's say you have a 5% promotion rate, and you list an item for $27.... and it sells!    So, the buyer then pays for the item but sales tax in the amount of $3 was added on...the buyer paid $30.   What number does eBay use to calculate how much $ they receive for their "promotional activites" which according to them were responsible for the item selling?  Drum roll.....they use the $30 figure so they would receive $1.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much equivalent to stealing..........   

That is exactly what the policy says.  Ebay didn't hide this fact from you.  You agreed to it when you started using PL.  I don't understand why if you don't like how it is structured that you still use it.

The fee you are charged is based on the ad rate you set for each listing. An ad rate is the percentage of an item's total sale amount (including item price, shipping, taxes, and any other applicable fees).

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/promoted-listings?id=4164

Message 52 of 64
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

And as others have stated the fact that eBays pls fee is based on total plus taxes is an absolute money grab. 

Look, I'm not defending the program, what I've stated before is simply facts.  Ebay does not hide the fact that they charge the PL fee on the total amount the buyer pays, just as they do the regular FVF.

You have options.  If this is so unsettling to you, simply don't use the program.

Message 53 of 64
latest reply

You saying it isn't a money grab is definitely defending it. 

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

You saying it isn't a money grab is definitely defending it. 

NOPE.  Ebay is a for profit company.  They have several tools that if a seller CHOOSES to use them they will cost a seller extra money.  They are ALL optional.  You can pay for a listing to be in multiple categories, Subtitles, listing an auction that is a duplicate of a fixed price listing, Classified ads, Bold titles, Reserved price, etc.

They come up with these things so sellers have options in how they run their little business and give them tools in which to do so.  

Not all options are right for all sellers.  I personally don't use any of them as for me it isn't necessary.  But for others these tools or some of these tools can be very important.  It is the CHOICE of each seller to decide what is best for them.

All these options, if used, generate more income for Ebay and hopefully more sales for the seller.  I know it can be a popular opinion that Ebay should do all these things for free.  I'm not sure why so many feel that way, but they do.  

Message 55 of 64
latest reply

Basically if you don't pay eBay,  you won't get seen. It would be nice if there was an online marketplace with organic traffic to turn to. 

Message 56 of 64
latest reply

Never heard ANYONE say it should all be free. And they don't come up with these things to give sellers options. That in itself is laughable, it's about them making money and not having to make ANY improvements. Sellers didn't need more options before they began messing with the search or the removing of the so called bot views. 

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

Never heard ANYONE say it should all be free. And they don't come up with these things to give sellers options. That in itself is laughable, it's about them making money and not having to make ANY improvements. Sellers didn't need more options before they began messing with the search or the removing of the so called bot views. 

Yes it is for both sellers and for Ebay.  We all want to make money.  You are so set on disagreeing with me that you aren't really digesting what I've been saying.  

Message 58 of 64
latest reply

@miyasamaco wrote:

Basically if you don't pay eBay,  you won't get seen. It would be nice if there was an online marketplace with organic traffic to turn to. 

Like I laid out in post #45. IMO It's not so much that you are not being seen in search but rather that buyers are not staying within search but rather they are staying withinn the listing flow and clicking from one similar item to another and they are  no longer navigating back to search they way that they use to in the past due to eBay's ability to match what a buyer initially chose via search to other similar listings who are paying promotional fees 5o be featured on that one listing that the buyer initially chose via search. I hope that that makes sense to you..

Message 59 of 64
latest reply

Nothing to digest about you saying it's a tool for sellers. It's not. It was another way for eBay to make money. Before pl items could be seen much better and found easier in search.  Odd that you don't even use promoted listings but you constantly are posting replies about it and how good it works. You are constantly on these boards just to disagree. 

Message 60 of 64
latest reply