cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Fraudalent Listings

(I was a long time eBay seller) So now understanding how eBay works and their protocol for flagging specific listings, apparently you can get 3-4 friends or more with active accounts on eBay, and spend as much time as you like flagging competitor listings to ruin other sellers lives and their potential sales. (Also you can buy new eBay accounts online to rinse and repeat this, use a fake address/information singing up on each account, which eBay has no control over apparently until its figured out which unfortunately is too late for the damage that is done.)

This works right now and the scum of the earth are doing it.  Also Ebay shrugs their shoulders to this when you as seller confront them on this... What a curve ball, wonder how they'll stop that or will this be another federal lawsuit against eBay? ? ?

Message 1 of 102
latest reply
101 REPLIES 101

Just because a listing gets reported, doesn't mean they will remove it.

I reported a few listings last night that violated policy and about half were removed and the other half, they didn't see a problem with them.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 102
latest reply

Absolutely but imagine a vindictive group of people that are ONLY doing that on eBay and are getting paid to do it. Removing your online competition by manipulating eBay policies in your favor for your own personal gain is legal here at eBay? Good trade practice huh?

Message 3 of 102
latest reply

Unless something has recently changed drastically, eBay pays little or no attention to the flaggers since the most usual source for those is sellers with the same kind of merchandise trying to knock down the competition.  

Yes, anyone can have multiple accounts.  

Message 4 of 102
latest reply

Your speaking to someone that this happened to yesterday and today by the way. I can't imagine all the times I didn't know that this happened over all the years.. also my listings were all removed based on fake claims of authenticity.

Message 5 of 102
latest reply

Who pays  them? How much? Do you have absolute solid proof of  your claim? 

Message 6 of 102
latest reply

Best I have seen evidence of is a report, if it has any effect, is used to trigger a bot which checks the listing.

This is why so many sellers who report others are told the listing meets all policies.

You may be being reported, but it is likely your listing was on borrowed time until a bot found it.

We get many more sellers moaning about how Ebay ignores their narcing on other sellers.

Message 7 of 102
latest reply

So this is some sort of GamerGate situation?

Message 8 of 102
latest reply

I wont get proof, these are low lifes with nothing better to do but being a victim of it, makes me want to implode all of the eBay for not being able to control criminal actions inside a legit free selling platform that I signed up on, trusting eBay. Which is why I stated the above for everyone to see and know is happening. I got screwed as a seller because of this, and eBay is defending fraudulent people over the truth.

So here's my example, your a seller on eBay with w/e you sell and you want to vindictively eliminate other competition. You ask a few of your friends who have active ebay accounts, pay them if you want, spend a few days actively flagging competition on eBay. But you'll need to eventually buy new eBay accounts so you can continue to re-flag competition without being caught, also you'll need to have proof of why your flagging an item, "authenticity" is the one of  easiest flags because eBay can't authenticate but rather pull a listing which 50%-70% of time works if you provide a decent case. < That is manipulation and wrong

Message 9 of 102
latest reply

Solution:
Create listings that don't violate eBay policy.

Message 10 of 102
latest reply

@redlinear 

You don't understand, its not me breaking eBay's policies !!!!!!!! Re-read what I've said, but most importantly you can manipulate eBay to take down other sellers listing based on flagging techniques. If want more details on how then re-read what I"ve posted. I am a legitimate seller and I surely wouldn't be coming on the eBay community board to speak if I didn't have merit for what I'm saying

Message 11 of 102
latest reply

There are some very specific guidelines that must be followed when listing autographed and graded trading cards which I see you sell some of those items. Were the removals related to those type of items? 

Message 12 of 102
latest reply

If you have concrete proof of your claim, perhaps you would like to share it with us. 

Message 13 of 102
latest reply

@outfittersupport wrote:

@redlinear 

You don't understand, its not me breaking eBay's policies !!!!!!!! Re-read what I've said, but most importantly you can manipulate eBay to take down other sellers listing based on flagging techniques. If want more details on how then re-read what I"ve posted. I am a legitimate seller and I surely wouldn't be coming on the eBay community board to speak if I didn't have merit for what I'm saying

I do understand (I think?)
We (8 eBay users that work here) used to report ebay listings/sellers that had listings that violated eBay policies.   We've taken down stores with thousands of listings, entirely. Gone.
One or two reports never seemed to get a response.
You get half a dozen users, with two or three accounts each?  Stands a much better chance of ruining an eBay business.
HOWEVER, ONLY where the seller was breaking eBay rules. 

If you're a seller and creating legitimate eBay legal listings?  You have nothing to worry about.

Message 14 of 102
latest reply

Furthermore.  You stand a far greater chance of an upset customer (and their friends) ruining your day than competition messing with you.

Message 15 of 102
latest reply