cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of coming back

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice. I used to be a prolific seller on eBay (with all positive feedback). Then it happened. A buyer defrauded me using the PayPal chargeback scheme. Waited until the day after the tracking number dropped out of USPS then opened an unauthorized charge case with their CC. Naturally PayPal would not back me since I could no longer prove I shipped the item. Buyer got my item and their money back. Thankfully it was less than $100 not a $1000 laptop or something. Still, since that day I have refused to sell on eBay.

Problem is, I have several items to sell and really could use the money right now. My question is, is it worth it? Is there anything sellers can do to protect against this (or any) type of fraud? As far as I know all of the major shippers purge tracking numbers after 90 days or so. How can we ever prove shipping afterward? 

I've tried some local marketplaces but there just aren't enough potential buyers thus this post. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Thinking of coming back

I'd try fb mp for that stuff. You'd probably have great luck with the local area and sell the same day. Just an idea but I watch any gaming equipment snatched up within minutes usually 

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Save all your screenshots from USPS tracking site that shows everything including item delivered. Then when you get one of these types of charge backs you have proof of delivery that you can submit to PayPal. PayPal will submit to cc company in your defense. You can win by doing this. 

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Naturally PayPal would not back me since I could no longer prove I shipped the item.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The transaction on paypal will show shipped, but paypal needs to provide the final status "Delivered"  since USPS drops the tracking,

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

Nothing has changed, but if you trash or give away the items you get nothing.... right?

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

I had the same thing happen. It was actually another e bay seller  who filed a fraudulent chargeback . She had purchased an item from me and then she  didn't decide  she no longer wanted it  until after the 30 day refund upon return  had passed . I had declined the return so she waited until I could no longer prove it was shipped  to file the chargeback.  I remember that day very well because I was already barely scraping by  and her antics wiped out  everything I had left in my Pay Pal account.  They just took it ,, no questions asked .  What they need to do is hugely  extend the length of time  a shipment  can be proven .  It's not fair to sellers the way it is now  and it puts them at the mercy of the scam artists .  You'll just need to take your chances  as it stands now if you decide to come back.  Good luck  Tulips 

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

The system favors buyers. Always has. People who decide to defraud are still in the minority.  If everyone left  because of an unfair transaction, negative feedback they did not deserve and fraud, there would be no sellers left. There are no guarantees what happened to you won't happen again. I would ask: Did you enjoy being an eBay seller? Did you make money?  If yes to both, be careful and start listing again. Keep better records. Be prepared to do battle if the worst happens. Better than trashing everything.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

Simply not worth the risk , effort or headache . When someone is calling all the shots on your inventory.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@mario-64 

It is my understanding that the USPS tracking #'s, although not readily available to us common folk, are archived, and are accessible for a longer period of time, but getting them extracted may not be worth the effort. Taking screenshots of every tracking # deliveries to keep a record of everything  can get old real fast.

As has been stated these board are a small representation of the overall eBay buying/selling experience.  Problems may arise, but not on a daily basis.

Use some thought/care in the choice of what to sell.   As a new (new again) seller you will be a magnet for scammers.  Those asking you to text them.  Those asking for your PP so that they can pay you.  Those offering more than the BIN. Those asking you to change the ship to address after paying as they suddenly have to go out of town to care for a sick relative. When in doubt, ask here.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

If I were unable to get over the 1 or 2 times I've been defrauded on EBAY,     I wouldn't have the 20,000 sales that were problem free.  

The sellers that use EBAY on a regular basis without problems don't  post on these boards.    (For the most part)

It's just a part of doing business as a seller.   

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

The facts are no it's no better, but eBay has buyers.  Most sites have tons of watchers but no buyers.

Just be careful.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 25 of 37
latest reply

My question is, is it worth it?

Nothing has changed on eBay that will completely prevent fraud. Any buyer can steal any item from any seller at any time by filing a fraudulent claim. 

Back then, one sub-$100 loss was enough to make a prolific seller like you stop selling.  So the answer to your question "Is it worth it?" depends upon whether your tolerance for risk has changed. 

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

Thanks again for the continued responses.

With regard to USPS I too heard those reports that you can call them and speak to an agent who will look up the purged tracking number and send you the info. This is completely false. The agent was dumbfounded at my request and said they have no means whatsoever to look up a purged tracking number.

In terms of this being the 'cost of doing business' then I simply can't afford the risk. I don't have thousands of items to sell which would make up for one significant loss. Two of the items I have would fetch in excess of $1,000 based on recent sold listings. I can't afford to lose that much money.

I did have one thought. Not sure if it is valid or not. If I were to price these items very aggressively, say at 60-70% of the recent sales price would I stand a better chance at getting legitimate buyers? Perhaps if they get a really good deal they would be less likely to defraud?

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@mario-64 wrote:

Thanks again for the continued responses.

With regard to USPS I too heard those reports that you can call them and speak to an agent who will look up the purged tracking number and send you the info. This is completely false. The agent was dumbfounded at my request and said they have no means whatsoever to look up a purged tracking number.

In terms of this being the 'cost of doing business' then I simply can't afford the risk. I don't have thousands of items to sell which would make up for one significant loss. Two of the items I have would fetch in excess of $1,000 based on recent sold listings. I can't afford to lose that much money.

I did have one thought. Not sure if it is valid or not. If I were to price these items very aggressively, say at 60-70% of the recent sales price would I stand a better chance at getting legitimate buyers? Perhaps if they get a really good deal they would be less likely to defraud?

Those wishing to defraud do not care what the cost is, as they will be out nothing.

I have on some sales taken a screenshot when something seemed fishy. One was where someone used a BIN on an auction when they could have saved 30% by waiting a couple of days. Item over $100. Worked out, no issue.

As for tracking #'s only being available for 90 days.  That may be a hit and miss thing. Just took a screenshot of an Oct 10 delivery. 

I have no proof of tracking #'s being archived, but I do know that some USPS employees can be as dumbfounded by a question as an eBay CSR can.

delivered 5.jpg

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

I remember a time long ago where there were positive things said about eBay. I know we posted plenty of positive comments about the company but those days have long been gone when eBay went public. Since then with their **bleep** change in CEO's it been all about them. You Purchase a store they get you money evy month. They can filter your user name out where your items wont show up in search. They created Cassini to control those searches after they got rid of google search. They are the OUTER LIMITS. They control all that you see or not see. If you can deal with all the Shenanigans good for you. 

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Nothing has changed, but if you trash or give away the items you get nothing.... right?

Ironically trashing the stuff would cost less than trying to sell it.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply