cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think would be a fair fee to sell on eBay??

Lots of folks complain about the fee eBay charges to sell in their sandbox.

What fee do you think would be fair for eBay to charge? What could eBay charge that wouldn't make you complain? Maybe even make you happy.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: What do you think would be a fair fee to sell on eBay??

@jerzee908 wrote:

Ebay knows what we spend on shipping labels purchased through Ebay, so they should deduct the shipping label cost from the total sales, THEN charge their FVF.  Ebay fees are fine with me seeing how much it would cost to open up an antique store or to be in an antique mall, but I've always had a problem with them taking money I charge for shipping costs.

Thats a fantastic idea! Ebay should just charge FVFs on the item price and force all sellers to use Ebay labels 

BTW be careful what you wish for Ebay might just do that to screw us sellers even more. Charge FVFs only on item price but raise it to 17-20%. Best case, you pay roughly the same as 13.25% on price + shipping + Tax. Worst case (more likely), you pay even more in fees to Ebay. 

Would that make you happy? Probably not. 

Example $80 Item Price + $12 Shipping + $8 Tax = $100 Total Buyer Payment 

Fees 13.25% on Item price + shipping + Tax  = $13.25 + $0.30

Fees 17%-20% on just Item Price = $13.60 - $16 + $0.30

I vote that fees stay the same 

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

I doesn't really matter what I think it should be. The only thing that matters is what eBay thinks it should be to meet the profit expectations of their shareholders. The rest boils down to simple economics as to whether I can obtain, price and sell my items at a market competitive price where I can still maintain what I consider to be a decent ROI. Ideally if I can sell my items at or below the market equilibrium price and maintain my ROI all is well and I will continue to sell those items. If I cannot and I am forced into a situation where I have to sell above what the market will bear I simply discontinue selling that item(s). 

I sell across several venues and platforms and I set my price based on the costs to sell on those platforms and venues and there can be up to a +/- 20% difference between my price on one platform/venue and another. I may have an item price at $100 on one venue and $80 on another but my ROI is the same regardless of which venue the item sells on. 

Message 47 of 55
latest reply

I vote eBay raises the fees to 20% so they don't have to lay off their staff. It won't affect me; all I have to do is raise the cost off all my items to cover the increased fee.  Hopefully that wouldn't affect my sales so eBay would actually see an increase in profit (and not have a negative impact on their actual profit from a drop in sales)? 🙄

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

I didn't realize I'd rile up people that do not use ebay shipping labels with my idea, but I should of added that EVERYBODY shouldn't be charged FVF on their shipping costs.  I'm fully aware my idea would never come to anything, but this whole thread isn't meant to be serious in my opinion.  

I've been on here for over 20 years, so I saw how much this site was like the Wild West with people charging $100 to ship something that they wanted $1 for and was worth around $100 to skirt around fees.  I knew that something would be done eventually.  

Message 49 of 55
latest reply

@jerzee908 

I have also been here for over 20 years. This "discussion" amongst sellers has been in the forums many times in many variations over the years.  The reaction from many sellers seems to be, this was a problem for eBay a long time ago so let's not talk about it again. Doesn't matter that the technology is now available for eBay to develop a solution that doesn't benefit eBay at the cost of sellers. Other sellers don't seem to like the fees. Seems to be a case of "Don't poke the giant (eBay). Who knows what they will do in response?".

From what I have experienced, eBay does not use the forums for constructive criticism or to improve eBay based on buyer/seller feedback or the many great suggestions from the forums. eBay seems to come up with improvements for Buyers/Sellers without actually listening to Buyers/Sellers. 

Wishing ALL sellers a successful year of eBay selling!

Message 50 of 55
latest reply

True enough, but they still stink at it and it's not their money or product at risk.

Message 51 of 55
latest reply

eBay's take on fee's also pays a card processor likely 2.3-2.8% per transaction and a .25 cent batch closure costing.  The fee's a are more than reasonable, 20 years ago fee's on business to consumer sites such as uBid, Onsale, Auction World ranged from 20% to as high as 35% depending on categories/venue not to mention being far far more strict.  The card processor doesn't work for free.

So eBay's take probably more in the area of 11% and charging on the total is nothing new.  Before the Web even existed if you bought mail order the merchant paid the card processing fee based on total not just product price.  So if for example sold something here for $25 and $25 shipping the charge be $50 + tax, and say 2.3% of that is card processing cost

Message 52 of 55
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles 

We got our first Moneris  account for our shop in the late 70s, and were charged fees on our customer's entire payment at that time, including Ontario sales tax and any shipping.

Since few of the posters here seem to have managed a B&M retail operation:

https://go.moneris.com/choosemonerisgo?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_id=Mar-23-106-1683656197...

As for shipping costs- There are discount postage stamps sold on eBay (not the Forever booklets, those are counterfeits) which will save more  money than most labels. I couldn't possibly give the names of any of the *reallynice* dealers.

Message 53 of 55
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@retro_entertainment_collectibles 

We got our first Moneris  account for our shop in the late 70s, and were charged fees on our customer's entire payment at that time, including Ontario sales tax and any shipping.

Since few of the posters here seem to have managed a B&M retail operation:

https://go.moneris.com/choosemonerisgo?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_id=Mar-23-106-1683656197...

As for shipping costs- There are discount postage stamps sold on eBay (not the Forever booklets, those are counterfeits) which will save more  money than most labels. I couldn't possibly give the names of any of the *reallynice* dealers.

Get lessons real quick with a merchant account not to mention having to bumble through a textbook of rules and regulations.  Then there is lease cost of point of sale equipment or software.  We were charged $1400 annually for PC-Charge and finally I bought a copy of another called IC Verify which was about $800 only to find we'd had pay for updates.

My volume isn't enough for me worry about postal fees I flat rate at $6.50 using USPS Ground Advantage.  I make a few bucks on some, loose a few on others but I hear ya and thanks, will keep in mind if I happen to slide into some other forms of items.  I've not listed anywhere near what I have cuz' I keep going the rollercoaster of whether I should just send everything to Mamazon whom I basically loath or do all the work putting it on here wondering as waves appear and then dont.  Honestly if someone came in and made me a good offer I'd say, "It's all yours" enjoy listing daily for the next 5 years.

Message 54 of 55
latest reply

Ebay is a billion dollar company that hires cheap csr's in the Philippines and here you are saying 15% plus promotion fee is a bargain? Smh.

Message 55 of 55
latest reply