cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to the Adults Only category?

I am a vendor at a flea market but I do very little eBay.  The manager at the flea market a while back told me it's illegal in my county to sell X-rated content at the flea market.  I bought a bunch of DVD's last month at a yard sale (most of them normal movies not X-rated) and found three Playboy DVD's and got nervous because I didn't know where to sell them.  When I looked them up on eBay I was excited to see Playboy DVD's go for $20 and up so I thought list them on eBay.  I couldn't find an Adults Only category like eBay used to have so I thought they went lighter on their adult policy.  Then I'm finished with my listing and said it violated eBay's Adult policy.  But DVD's identical to the ones I have are listed and sold right now.  What can I do?  I've sold Playboy magazines in another county before so is that my last resort?  Maybe eBay should bring back their Adults Only category.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: What happened to the Adults Only category?

eBay did away with adults only category July 15 2021 

X rated content isn’t allowed on eBay either.

If others are selling it doesn’t mean it’s ok. If eBay says you can’t list it then don’t list it. 

Restricted Adult Items Policy  

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Your location is Florida? It’s illegal to sell adult related stuff at a flea market?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Some adult content listings are allowed. Your listing may have triggered one of the no-nos. Read on:

Restricted adult items policy | eBay

A listing of mine was flagged for the mag cover showing a man's butt. Five minutes in Photoshop to airbrush the offending feature & the algorithm was happy.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Restricted items are

Media (DVD's and VHS) that are internded to be sold only to 18+ Audiences....

Even though those Playboy DVD's are probably less revealing than some R-Rated movies, they are "unrated" and presumably sold to 18 and over audiences....

Yes, there are some out there but they flagged you so take them to another platform to sell. There are a few.

It is somewhat antiquated, but it is their sandbox.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

"Your location is Florida? It’s illegal to sell adult related stuff at a flea market?"

Lots of stuff in Florida is becoming illegal.  Like, on a daily basis.  
What people can wear for their jobs if they work in, for example, an entertainment venue.  
What people can say if they work as teachers in public schools.  
Children can be irreparably harmed by observing a sculpture by Michelangelo.  

Guns, however -- guns are still legal.  In fact, I think it was just yesterday that Florida's governor signed something that said anybody can carry a handgun at any time without any kind of registration of that gun.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

What makes me mad is other people can sell something I can't.  If you don't enforce the rules for everyone, just don't have those rules unless it's the law.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

"Your location is Florida? It’s illegal to sell adult related stuff at a flea market?"

What people can wear for their jobs if they work in, for example, an entertainment venue.  

Guns, however -- guns are still legal.  In fact, I think it was just yesterday that Florida's governor signed something that said anybody can carry a handgun at any time without any kind of registration of that gun.  

Or training. 

eyes.png

Next to go are driver licenses, I guess.  Don't need no driver's ed, just mash n' go.

Adult stuff is the least of our problems at this point.  As for the DVDs already on here - eBay has 1.7 billion items listed and stuff is going to sneak under the tent.  I've had stuff taken down myself while other items are still running (Dr Dre Beats, for instance).  This site is just so big now.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

Well, it’s not that simple. Felons, etc, are still prohibited. The weapon must be concealed and secured and you must have a valid ID (driver license, etc). And a permit is still preferable. For example, with a permit you can drop off your children at school while armed. Without the permit you can not. And permit or not there are still restrictions as to where you can carry it.

Interestingly I never hear complaints about Nevada’s much more liberal law. We are an “open carry” state. I can walk down the street with a “big iron on my hip”John Wayne style and NO permit is EVER required while that is still illegal in Florida.

as for your other inaccurate rants:

Some entertainment clubs are full nudes, some are topless, some are neither. Been that way forever

I don’t want my son’s first grade teacher telling him he can be a girl if he wants.

I can’t speak to Michelangelo but a Drag Queen show is sure to really mess him up.,

I will let you live your live as you see fit but do not try to tell me and mine how we must live ours as long as we do not infringe on your live.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@jerrythecrazyguy wrote:

What makes me mad is other people can sell something I can't.  If you don't enforce the rules for everyone, just don't have those rules unless it's the law.

Those other people just haven't been caught yet..feel free to report the listings violating policy.
eBay relys on the reports of others and bots to take down prohibated listings. eBay can't monitor millions of listings.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I will refrain from turning this into a political discussion on topics for which there is no answer. Most of these topics are based on opinions and opinions are like belly buttons everybody has one. The bottom line is it is eBay's domain and forum and they can limit, restrict and prohibit whatever items they choose. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@jerrythecrazyguy wrote:

What can I do? 

eBay's message seems very clear to me.

If you are you asking us how you can circumvent eBay policy and list item that are prohibited, telling you how to do that that would also violate eBay policy. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Sounds like you got stuck with a few DVD's you can't sell on eBay or at your flea. Sell them somewhere else.

Posting ID
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

It's not illegal to sell it at a flea market in the US.  But, the manager THINKS it is, and so he won't let you sell it at HIS flea market, which is certainly within his right (unless he's using public property, then it becomes a little hazier legally).  Of course there is an exception if you are selling bootleg copies, that's not legal anywhere.

But yeah, they did away with the adults only category.  It's a shame, they had a lot of really cool vintage stuff.  I made enough money to build a garage at my first house by selling Vintage Sleeze in the adult category.  Even then I ran afoul of the Ebay censors from time to time.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply