cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ebay asking for photo identification?

Hi Guys,

I just changed my home address in my selling portal. However, now I have received a message from ebay informing me that they will withhold funds unless I upload either a passport picture or driving licence for verification purposes. They seem to want photographic Id - but why? The documentation requested still bears my former address and I do not anticipate applying for new Id for some time.

Has this happened to anyone else? And why do they require phot id? I'm very loathe to send offical id of this nature to a private company. Any advice most welcome.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Why is ebay asking for photo identification?

Setting up a Managed Payments account is not quite the same outside the USA.

While eBay still wants identification, we Canadians are not required to give our Social Insurance Number (SIN). Generally that's only required between an employer/employee/government and deals with income taxes and social programs like CPP/OAP.

That's why I used my passport instead.

I don't know if the UK has numbered ID like our SIN or the US SSN.

The banking information is as mentioned so that eBay can transfer money to your chequing account. The account has to be in the country you are registered in.

So my Canadian registration required a Canadian bank, although it is common for our banks to offer accounts held in US funds.

If you are registered in the UK, you need a chequing account in a UK bank.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

How true/ I worked for the Feds for over 35 years. I know.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

This question has been posted on the USA eBay.com board so without us looking at your profile we would assume that you were in the USA too. 

Are you moving to the USA or is this move within the UK? If within the UK, you might be better served to ask on that community board. The answers might be more relevant to your situation. 

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

same here, but I didn't make any changes to my portal or profile!  seems my money is held ransom till I comply with their demands to give them what they want (photo id, drivers license, etc)...  ebay has been hacked before, I don't feel comfortable complying because I do not feel it is secure, so I am most likely just saying goodbye to ebay and moving on... it's a shame they made this decision to literally take your money hostage... but what can you do?  just move on...

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

No, I disagree. The INFORM Act requires eBay to confirm the identity of everyone that sells on eBay. It doesn't  matter that the seller is not from the U.S.  Not being in the U.S. doesn't  exempt them from requiring eBay to confirm their identity. 

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

Your driver's license is not as private as you might think it is.  

LOL,  your driver license contains PII (personal identified information) about subjects. 
I absolutely do not agree with your statement.

I got the email from eBay to upload a copy of my ID/driver license, which I did.

from a data privacy perspective, if eBay needs the data for identification purposes, eBay should destroy the data after the purpose of identification has been achieved.

Limit the amount of data collected to the most minimum and limit the retention.

in case of a breach, I would like to know which of my data is potentially endangered and also how it’s being secured.

bit again, the best way is to limit the amount of information collected in the first place or delete the information asap.

that’s especially the case for compliance with the GDPR regulation.

Regards,

G.X

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Yeah.. they did it ti me too when I went to 'update' info! Since then (a year ago) I just QUIT selling on Ebay (which like ALL platforms.. HAS been hacked and WILL be hacked so thats that!) Now? Whenever Ebay sends me an 'updates' I answer them (DOES NOT APPLY to ME as I will NEVER sell again on your stinking platform!!))

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Yes ! And I can find NO reason for it ! They claim it's to prevent money laundering 🤣 sure £5 or £10 is gonna set alarm bells ringing 😅 they are just gathering your personal details for profit ! We will keep it safe 😄 govenment & banks cant (and they dont require photo ID) so why does ebay think thwy can??? 

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@chinners60 

This is a 6 month old thread & the person who started it chose their best answer.  
Should you have any questions or concerns it is always a good idea to start your own thread to get the help and advice for your specific issue.  

This is also a US community discussion forum.  What applies in your country may not apply here in the US or other countries.  You may be better served by logging out of ebay.com and logging back into ebay.com/uk/  Here's your community forum link that may be helpful:

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Discussion/ct-p/13

Good luck getting the help and advice you need. 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Simply put because it is required by law.  Like it or not, the powers that be have decided that they need to know every little bit about what you do with what you already own so they passed laws to "protect consumers".  The other reason (that the government doesn't care one tiny bit about) is so eBay knows it is actually you making the change and not some hacker.

But the main reason is because the gubment says so.

Edited to add, Ugh, just realized this is a necro-post.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply