cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay now files SNAD in behalf of the buyer

I had to call Mary to find out what was going on she didn't file the dispute ebay CS did it in her behalf. She's been waiting for a email response from me which I responded to their dispute last Friday 10 mins. after it arrived in my inbox as of today my response has never been sent to her instead its been going to a ebay CS rep....

Message 1 of 288
latest reply
287 REPLIES 287

Re: ebay now files SNAD in behalf of the buyer

Oddly enough, last year I found myself having forgotten my own buyer account login information.  Could not remember it regardless of what I tried.  But there was a book I wanted, so I bought it with a guest account.

More oddly yet, I was perfectly able to contact the seller, no issues.  The messages showed up in my email, so I was able to send responses to the seller and ask more questions if needed.

The CSR threw away a perfect opportunity to educate the "guest" buyer in how to navigate basic areas of eBay.  Instead of teaching, the CSR simply did it for the buyer.

It is unlikely the guest will return as a fully registered user.  Why would he/she?  Buy something, if the purchase goes sidewise, call CSR who will take care of everything while the buyer remains blissfully ignorant, getting the monies back, no problem.

Never ceases to astound me to what lengths eBay will go to coddle buyers and admonish sellers for asking questions.

~M

Message 211 of 288
latest reply

Moo being a dinnerware seller your buyer can select 1 or 6 they choose 6. You box and ship and later in comes SNAD that reads.... Arrived damaged

Comments
the item arrived damaged and broken. if you have replacement items i'm happy to accept it.... What would your response be ?

Message 212 of 288
latest reply

No, not "open a case"... intercept and handle all communication

With all due respect, if that were true, it would not be without reason, but it is not true because there is the contact the seller feature, which may be used by the buyer to ask question before buying.  

If intercept and handle ALL communication were true, that link would not be there or be functional.

Message 213 of 288
latest reply

@terrycanarsky wrote:

Oddly enough, last year I found myself having forgotten my own buyer account login information.  Could not remember it regardless of what I tried.  But there was a book I wanted, so I bought it with a guest account.

More oddly yet, I was perfectly able to contact the seller, no issues.  The messages showed up in my email, so I was able to send responses to the seller and ask more questions if needed.

The CSR threw away a perfect opportunity to educate the "guest" buyer in how to navigate basic areas of eBay.  Instead of teaching, the CSR simply did it for the buyer.

It is unlikely the guest will return as a fully registered user.  Why would he/she?  Buy something, if the purchase goes sidewise, call CSR who will take care of everything while the buyer remains blissfully ignorant, getting the monies back, no problem.

Never ceases to astound me to what lengths eBay will go to coddle buyers and admonish sellers for asking questions.

~M

Buyers are not required to understand the inner workings of ebay like sellers are.  That goes double for occasional buyers like guests.

Why would a cs helping a buyer make her not want to return.  I would think it the other way around.  Make it too difficult for the buyer, and she will most likely not come back.

Message 214 of 288
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

General reply-
To all those saying that ebay CS intervention and automatic case filing is warranted is because there are too many bad sellers--

If ebay has to take over all aspects of the transaction (including all communication) because of rude and unresponsive sellers, how in the world am I going to be able to stand out from these alleged herds of lousy sellers?

I'm a very small seller, and have the time and motivation to offer excellent personalized concierge-type customer service. Which I do. Every single customer, every time.

But if ebay is constantly running me over in order to handle things for me, how the heck am I supposed to be able to prove to anyone that I'm an exemplary seller?

And yes, I'd like to know if ebay is assisting a customer on my behalf. Transparency between business partners is important.

If ebay were to notify sellers that they are assisting any given buyer, wouldn't one think that would cue the seller that they'd better do right by that particular buyer because ebay is watching? I'd certainly pay attention to that...

******************************************************************************************

I don't think that is why they are doing this~although it could be a very valid reason.  I think this is just a case of Ebay helping the buyer.

I understand your concern about distinquishing yourself but liken this to when Ebay took away negs for buyers.  Not all sellers were abusing that, but they acted to stop those who were.  Not all sellers were fighting returns when they accept them, but now returns are automated if you take them.

I understand you feel transparency is important, and ask that wouldn't that seller pay particular attention if they were notified that Ebay was helping the buyer~and that would get your attention~but that really shouldn't be necessary or needed if the seller intends to do right by the buyer and distinquish themselves as exemplary.  It is already known that Ebay is tracking SNADs and returns and still the abuse and intimidation goes on.

Message 215 of 288
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

General reply-
To all those saying that ebay CS intervention and automatic case filing is warranted is because there are too many bad sellers--

If ebay has to take over all aspects of the transaction (including all communication) because of rude and unresponsive sellers, how in the world am I going to be able to stand out from these alleged herds of lousy sellers?

The thing is, eBay didn’t intervene and isn’t opening cases to protect buyers from abusive sellers. Opening a case does not protect the buyer from abuse. I cannot even believe that was suggested. It does NOT prevent a seller from contacting the buyer outside the case and inflicting “abuse”. All that happened here is that customer service opened a request on behalf of the buyer. That is nothing new. Calling eBay is one way the buyer can open a request. What we have here is the twisting of a normal situation into something it’s not because some people have an agenda. eBay is not taking over communications. What happened here is no reason for anyone to be alarmed or to think eBay is taking control. This is a normal situation that occurred and usual it’s being twisted into something it’s not. I am surprised more haven’t caught on by now. 

I agree~there is nothing nefarious about CS opening a case for a buyer.  It may be the buyer does not know how to handle the situation.  Some buyers just go for a case because it is easier and less time consuming, some may do so because of previous bad experiences.  I never said that Ebay did do this to protect a buyer from abuse, just that I could understand why that would be possible.

Message 216 of 288
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

General reply-

I'm a very small seller, and have the time and motivation to offer excellent personalized concierge-type customer service. Which I do. Every single customer, every time.

But if ebay is constantly running me over in order to handle things for me, how the heck am I supposed to be able to prove to anyone that I'm an exemplary seller?

And yes, I'd like to know if ebay is assisting a customer on my behalf. Transparency between business partners is important.

If ebay were to notify sellers that they are assisting any given buyer, wouldn't one think that would cue the seller that they'd better do right by that particular buyer because ebay is watching? I'd certainly pay attention to that...

It would seem that you aren't supposed to stand out.  It appears, that for some time now, ebay has wanted buyers to buy from 'ebay', NOT so-and-so seller.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 217 of 288
latest reply

Why would a cs helping a buyer make her not want to return. 

That's not what I said.

I said "It is unlikely the guest will return as a fully registered user.  "  Why would anyone register when they could simply make guest accounts and have CS handle any issues which might arise? 

Making things too difficult may keep buyers from returning, sure.  Making things so easy that a buyer doesn't have to do hardly anything for themselves doesn't necessarily assure they'll return, either.

~M

Message 218 of 288
latest reply

Em stated earlier, 

Today's buyer expects exemplary service, and why not when he is spending his hard earned money.  And some sellers try to treat them as if they are doing them a favor.

I understand, and for many buyers, that exemplary service is simply getting the item they ordered in the condition specified, in a timely fashion, without profanity and hostility if there is an issue.

Message 219 of 288
latest reply

Admittedly I have not read every single post in this thread but it seems this had gotten off track.

"Mary" bought something and it arrived broken. She called eBay instead of opening a return request. (I'll get to that in a minute). CS opened it for her. Nothing wrong was done here.

Whatever happened after that is debatable. Someone said CS should have notified OP that a case had been opened. Case, request, whatever stage it was in, it WAS reported to OP via the normal way. You get an email telling you it was opened and you need to act.

Instead of accepting the return, OP messaged the buyer through the case which does not comply with eBay's mandate that we respond in 3 days. eBay means click on one of the radio options they give you: return for refund, refund without return. replace the item etc. Replying to the buyer via the notes sections does not satisfy the "respond" requirement. Yes, eBay should make that clear.

I don't know the price range of what was sold, if OP had free returns enabled or even if it started out as a request and was escalated to a case when OP didn't respond.

I buy and sell. eBay has stated on this board time and time again that they want us to handle all returns through the resolution center. I may be in the minority but I think that's a good idea. Putting on my buyer's hat, I've read too many posts from angry buyers who get stalled with empty promises past the 30 day deadline trying to deal directly with the seller.

Putting on my seller's hat, it's just easier. For a while there you would get a defect if you tried to just refund through Paypal. They claim that's not automatic anymore not but I've heard differently. If I get a buyer who wants to return something I tell them to go to the resolution center and open a return request. If it's INR, I do ask them to check around the house, with neighbors, etc first and then open a request if they still can't find it. Which I immediately supplement with the tracking number.

Message 220 of 288
latest reply

What on Earth are you on about?

As I said - I was tagging on to the last post - my post was no reflection on what you said.

Message 221 of 288
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Moo being a dinnerware seller your buyer can select 1 or 6 they choose 6. You box and ship and later in comes SNAD that reads.... Arrived damaged

Comments
the item arrived damaged and broken. if you have replacement items i'm happy to accept it.... What would your response be ?

Hey, b-man! Sorry this has happened to you.

What would I do? I'd first ask how many were damaged. If they didn't reply, I'd call, just like you did. Absolutely.

In my experience, the buyers who have breakage nearly always send pics right off the bat with their initial contact. Buyers who refuse to send pics have rarely opened cases. As soon as I ask for pics, they disappear.

Sometimes I have extras available, but to be honest, if the buyer bought all I had listed, it's unlikely that I'd be able to offer replacements. That's only an option for common patterns. My return settings don't offer exchange or replacement, but once in awhile I can do that.

I do use small inobtrusive security labels. If the pics show broken dishes with my stickers on them, I immediately offer a pro-rated refund. I don't make the buyer deal with insurance, I do that myself.

It has been rare, but once or twice I've offered a small partial refund to what I assumed was a partial fisher who has no phone with a camera. They both took the blood money and disappeared without a trace.

Admittedly, my sample size is very small, I get very few return requests. One remorse return in the last 200+ transactions. I haven't had a SNAD for 18 months running now, for any reason. So I don't have any experience with the recent 'seller improvements'. I've been lucky, for sure. My turn will come around eventually.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 222 of 288
latest reply

Mr. Gorbachev ... please lock this thread!

Message 223 of 288
latest reply

This is my first problem child since the ebay gold miner from last year.... Everything was on the up and up with them also they worked hand in hand with ebay CS.  Only took 12 different sellers 32 filings of misuse of MBG before he took a powder,but his SNAD defects remain on my account...

Message 224 of 288
latest reply

@creoleorchid

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone was suggesting that OP handle anything outside of the resolution center.

The way the system is currently set up is great for single items, not lots, multiples, or combined orders shipped in one box. Sellers need a better way to handle these types of occurances.

For example, if two plates in a shipment of six got broken, with pics, I'd immediately refund the pro-rated price for two plates. If the buyer wants a 100% refund, I'd send a label and expect to get the four unbroken ones returned. I can easily calculate how much ther return would likely weigh if they reused the same box and packaging. Then I'd 100% refund. No problemo.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 225 of 288
latest reply