cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm almost certain my USPS carrier who delivered packages by my neck of the woods is now a thief.

I'm always home to pick up packages with the same USPS delivery guy. So he's a regular dude I see all the time. Not very friendly, curt with a mean demeanor but friendly with other tenants in the buildings when he's delivering packages to them. My intuition tells me that he doesn't like me for whatever reasons. I left a note on my door the other day instructing him that I'm not home to accept an ebay package which was shipped media mail and this is the first time I won't be home to see him and accept a package. Turns out he didn't fulfill the request and the tracking shows delivered on the front door/porch, now it's deemed lost because the post office doesn't have it as I've inquired several times already. Confronted him and said he would never leave a package unattended by dropping it by the front door if no one is home, not in my neck of the woods. He even said it that was the rule of law in the post office where he is based. These are apartment complexes in a densely populated city, not homes in suburbia. He said he would always bring them back to the local post office and leave a note on the door for the intended person to pick it up. It took only one incident where I wasn't looking to reveal the true nature of this individual and how he perceives me. In regards to my package not being found, he said take up with the post office and file a claim which is ludicrous. Media mail is not insured. He's not going to be disciplined and a sporadic missing package by him isn't going to cost him his job and I sense the supervisors/management who oversees him are just as shady and not forthcoming since I've asked them and they gave me the same response.

Not losing sleep over this but just want to vent and let others know what is happening.

Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: I'm almost certain my USPS carrier who delivered packages by my neck of the woods is now a thief

@catalogscollector 

You essentially posted a notice to any & all unsavory types in your building that you had a package coming/wouldn't be home when it was delivered and now you're surprised the package went MIA. That's like plopping a t-bone down in front of a starving dog and being surprised when the dog eats it. Maybe your postman is a thief but in this scenario I'd say there's an equal if not greater chance that your package ended up in the possession of one of your neighbors.

Message 16 of 86
latest reply

Re: I'm almost certain my USPS carrier who delivered packages by my neck of the woods is now a thief

No, because this individual insists he would never leave a package unattended in my building if no one is at home to accept it.

Or he just wanted to be cruel and that is exactly what he did.

Message 17 of 86
latest reply

I am with the poster who said someone has likely removed the sign you left and the poor guy never even saw it.

As he no doubt delivers to hundreds of addresses daily, you are just another receiver, no way he could remember every single delivery he made, nor what happened to it and your accusation most likely put him on the defensive, who could blame him?

As you said, no biggie, I would just move on and remember you have no proof of this ''alleged'' crime.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 18 of 86
latest reply

Not at all. The sign I posted was still posted when I arrived home. But no yellow pick up, we missed you, slip, affixed to the door when no one is at home to receive a package. The guy wanted to be a jerk if anything. Some of my neighbors think he comes across as sketchy due to their past dealings with him.

Message 19 of 86
latest reply

I haven't seen this dude in 2 days doing his thing which I usually do so something must have happened to him.

I've already filed a Postal Inspector investigation request on this matter.

Message 20 of 86
latest reply

The note I left was still posted on the door when I returned home in the same position I initially left it.

Message 21 of 86
latest reply

It was on a Saturday. I've gotten stuff from him on a Saturday not too long ago. He's the only one.

Message 22 of 86
latest reply

This guy couldn't even give me a straight definitive yes or no answer when I asked him if he came by my building to make deliveries on that day which was basically the day after this. He said if there is nobody home to accept a package I just return it to the post office and leave them a yellow slip. Well, I haven't received a yellow slip for it. 

Message 23 of 86
latest reply

Have you noticed the societal class drift with America as a whole and postal workers are not exempt from this? This guy comes across as a thug and when I went to the post office to inquire about the package, I noticed some of the guys who work there are the same. Guys with tattoos, buff, look like they belong in the gym, training for the gladiator ring and not in the post office. 

Message 24 of 86
latest reply

What you should do is ask USPS what address was the tracking number delivered to. They can tell within 5 ft if the package was left at your address or at a different address. The carrier could have accidentally left the package at a different address is why you didn't  get it. If they misdelivered it they  will go back and try and get it. Start there. 

Message 25 of 86
latest reply

One question. Why do you continue to ship with the USPS if they are so horrible? You realize you have "free will" to ship with other carriers.

Message 26 of 86
latest reply

Please stop with the drama. Sounds like you should get out more often.

Message 27 of 86
latest reply

@catalogscollector wrote:

The note I left was still posted on the door when I returned home in the same position I initially left it.

A thief inside your building could have removed the sign before your carrier came, swiped the package when it was delivered,  and then replaced the sign.

That's no less plausible than your theory that the carrier is definitely to blame.

Message 28 of 86
latest reply

What is it you would like to achieve by this continued drama post? Can you please answer that? If you refuse to contact your local Post Office with your issues, the Manager or Supervisor cannot address your supposed issue. They are not mind readers. Do you understand that? Why be afraid to follow the procedures that the USPS has set up for complaints and delivery issues? File a delivery issue online at USPS.com. It's free and takes only a minute or so. Less time that you have spent here to post and reply where people can't do a thing for you but suggest the very same by contacting your local Post Office. It's beginning to sound like you are taking something personal against this mail delivery person.  Do you really believe he would steal a "BOOK" to risk his $50K plus job? Seriously..........................

Message 29 of 86
latest reply

Another lie. You cannot just file anything with the Postal Inspectors. They do NOT and would NOT handle this even if they were presented with it. I have many Postal Inspector friends and know how they operate. You have just admitted that your story is filled with holes by making this statement. Anyone reading this should not waste your time replying to this post as in my opinion is not truthful. Retired Postmaster/IT MGR/Director of Finance USPS of over 33 years.

Message 30 of 86
latest reply