cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss on Preprinted Label Charges

I would like to get an explanation for the loss (-$29.57) I made on a recent sale.  I received $13.65 for shipping.  When I went on the USPS website the shipping was $39.35.   Does eBay get this big of a discount?  I used a preprinted label and a copy of the details are given below.  Am I doing something wrong in the listing?  Any help will be greatly appreciated. shipping loss.jpg get this much of a discount?  I used a preprinted label and a copy of the details are given below.  Am I doing something wrong in the listing?  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Loss on Preprinted Label Charges

@alpine1967 wrote:

I received $13.65 for shipping.  When I went on the USPS website the shipping was $39.35.  Weight and dimensions were 15lbs, 14 x 14 x 6 inches.  Shipped from 60462 to 93105.

Hi @alpine1967 . Using those parameters you can see on the eBay shipping calculator that $13.54 is the discounted eBay rate for USPS Ground Advantage when you purchase your label online through eBay, while $39.35 is the retail rate if you buy your label at the post office counter. https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

On this page you have your shipping preferences set up to pass carrier discounts to buyers, which is why the buyer paid the discounted eBay rate instead of the retail rate. https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Now the screenshot pictured shows you paid $75.24 for the shipping label. That's a bit of a mystery unless perhaps you entered the wrong dimensions when buying the shipping label - or if you switched carriers/services. Or perhaps you purchased multiple labels by mistake? Check your financials page and see what it shows. Change the default filter from 'all types' to 'shipping labels'.

https://www.ebay.com/mes/transactionlist?sh=true

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I'm confused.  Your screenshot shows the purchased Shipping Label was $75.84. You say you paid $39.35.  You charged your buyer $13.65 based on the weight and size of the box you entered, which is probably where any discrepancy arose, but something else you're saying isn't making sense.

For future reference, if your box size isn't right, or your weight doesn't match the PACKED weight, you'll be in trouble when it comes time to ship.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The most common explanation is you did not enter the proper dimensions for the package containing your order.

When you exceed predefined limits of size, dimensional pricing comes into effect and the cost of shipping is based on a much higher weight.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Something is drastically wrong....EBAY contracts with USPS and other carriers to give you a "big discount" on shipping. 

You should go to ORDERS, SHIPPING LABELS (void label) and try printing label again.   Your shipping cost should be never be MORE than customer was charged. 

You should report this to EBAY Customer Service will this problem still persists.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

The most common explanation is you did not enter the proper dimensions for the package containing your order.

Yes indeed... your listing shows Calculated shipping, but there's no way you would ever get that wheel shipped to me in Chicago via USPS Ground Advantage for $7.48.

What package dimensions and (especially) weight did you put into your listing when uploading it to eBay?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

You had to have entered the size of the box or weight incorrectly for the Sunbeam wheel when you entered it in your listing. When I  pulled that item up it shows a shipping charge to me of $8.68. That is what it would cost to send a 1 pound 8 X 8 X 8 box.

Triple check the size of the box you will ship in and the weight when you write the listing! Don't estimate. Make sure you enter the correct info.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

The online discount for eBay postage labels is good, but usually not that good. Like the other posters, I strongly suspect that the package weight and dimensions that were entered in the listing were not accurate.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for the replies.  Weight and dimensions were 15lbs, 14 x 14 x 6 inches.  Shipped from 60462 to 93105.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Is there an address I can send a letter to customer service?  When I call them, I get the run-a-round.  Thanks in advance.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@alpine1967 wrote:

I received $13.65 for shipping.  When I went on the USPS website the shipping was $39.35.  Weight and dimensions were 15lbs, 14 x 14 x 6 inches.  Shipped from 60462 to 93105.

Hi @alpine1967 . Using those parameters you can see on the eBay shipping calculator that $13.54 is the discounted eBay rate for USPS Ground Advantage when you purchase your label online through eBay, while $39.35 is the retail rate if you buy your label at the post office counter. https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

On this page you have your shipping preferences set up to pass carrier discounts to buyers, which is why the buyer paid the discounted eBay rate instead of the retail rate. https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Now the screenshot pictured shows you paid $75.24 for the shipping label. That's a bit of a mystery unless perhaps you entered the wrong dimensions when buying the shipping label - or if you switched carriers/services. Or perhaps you purchased multiple labels by mistake? Check your financials page and see what it shows. Change the default filter from 'all types' to 'shipping labels'.

https://www.ebay.com/mes/transactionlist?sh=true

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@alpine1967 wrote:

Hi @alpine1967 . Using those parameters you can see on the eBay shipping calculator that $13.54 is the discounted eBay rate for USPS Ground Advantage when you purchase your label online through eBay, while $39.35 is the retail rate if you buy your label at the post office counter. ....

This is an excellent example of the great savings that sellers now get through Cubic rates.  The 14 x 14 x 6 package would ship at the Cubic rate for .7 cu ft.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Dear Wastingtime 101,  Your answer solved the mystery.  I contacted eBay customer service 2 times about being paid low shipping amounts and they never solved the problem or knew what was causing it.    It might be nice if eBay customer service knew about how to fix this problem.  This forum is much better than eBay customer service.  You people are GREAT!!

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@alpine1967 wrote:

Dear Wastingtime 101,  Your answer solved the mystery.

Where did you find the problem? Still wondering how or why you ended up paying $75.25 for the shipping.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I typed in the wrong weight.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I can add that if you already shipped this (using the wrong weight label) you SHOULD get a nice little refund for the difference in the near future from USPS through ebay......

I have received a few little ones fairly quickly...(caught me by surprise)

example I shipped a magazine that I had 1 lb 4 ounces on my calculation...it was actually 12 ounces (just under that 13 ounce pricing) I had forgotten to change the weight

Message 15 of 16
latest reply