cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fighting with the USPS over ebay standard envelopes - Semi-Rigid vs. Top Loaders?

I've been in an ongoing battle with the local USPS as despite the ebay standard envelope allowing up to two top loaders, the local post office refuses to ship them if they have toploaders.  I can pay extra at the post office for non-sortable, which I've done, but each time I do, tracking info is never updated and I get dinged in the metrics.  Some people have also reported they never got them.  The local PO has also sent back standard envelopes with toploaders if I've been the buyer. Our local USPS is very shortstaffed and I don't trust them with anything they can't just scan and throw into the pile.  I've switched to either using lots, or single cards with first class shipping that eats into profits, but I have a host of lower-priced cards I can't compete with the standard shipping prices this way.  I've been thinking of maybe using semi-rigid holders like Card Saver I instead of top loaders.  I'm concerned about cards getting bent this way or damaged.  I'm looking for thoughts and advice as I'm staring at a lot of cards without a great way to ship them in a way I'm confident they won't get damaged.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Fighting with the USPS over ebay standard envelopes - Semi-Rigid vs. Top Loaders?

Sorry, non-machinable, not non-sortable.  Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I've sent hundreds in card savers within standard envelopes and not had one complaint about damage.  I often alternate between that and normal top loaders when shipping 1-2 cards depending on my supply situation.  I think you'll be fine.  With that said, I've been able to send 2 top loaders in a standard envelope when I put them side by side and not stack them.  Usually that will push you into the 2-ounce category for standard envelope, so be sure to pay for at least 2 ounces if you're going with more than one top loader.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

I'll add that when I ship standard envelope, I use the #10 business envelopes and tri-fold a piece of printer paper.  I put the card saver/top loader in a team bag and painters tape it to the folded paper for a bit more rigidity.  Shipping 1 card that way will weigh no more than 0.8 ounces so you can go with the least expensive standard envelope option with a single card.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Thank you - that is helpful.  I'm considering buying card savers and using those instead of top loaders.  The issue USPS has with toploaders is they said they are not flexible enough, despite being OK per the agreement between USPS and eBay on these.  I don't think USPS trains their people very well on this.  I've only ever had to send a single card so I'm sure they'd complain even more about two toploaders.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@goopiecrisp 

"The issue USPS has with toploaders is they said they are not flexible enough, despite being OK per the agreement between USPS and eBay on these."

There is NO "agreement between USPS and eBay on these."  The eBay Standard Envelope (ESE) is just another metered envelope, for which any business can apply.  USPS treats the ESE in the same manner as it does all other metered mail, from the hundreds of thousands of other businesses which are permitted to use USPS metered mail.  Thus, there is no special "training" required for USPS employees, and no additional "understanding".  It is simple metered mail, which must conform to USPS metered mail specifications.

Unfortunately, eBay miscommunicated (or under-communicated) that items shipped inside the ESE must be flexible enough to rapidly flow throughout the entire machine roller system which USPS uses during the sorting process.  Some of these machine rollers force envelopes to be bended nearly in half; thus, envelopes which are too rigid will clog up the machine roller systems, which causes back-ups in the feeding and sorting process.  And those envelopes will then be re-categorized as "packages," and marked for "insufficient postage." 

I'm not sure that anyone at eBay even comprehends what a "top-loader" means, or how it is constructed; but it seems very inflexible to me.

When I send cards or stamps using the ESE, I simply trim two pieces of cereal box cardboard (or canned soda cardboard) to a size slightly smaller than a small simple white envelope.  I slide the two pieces of cardboard to fit snugly inside the envelope; then add the stamp (in a glassine envelope) or the card (in a simple plastic sleeve) in between the two pieces of cardboard.  Seal, and add the ESE label.  I've had no returns, and no problems with USPS, and no complaints from buyers about damaged items.

It's a simple rule with the ESE -- "Be flexible."

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

I'm going by ebay's article on the subject https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-labels-services/ebay-domestic-shipping-services/ebay... which states "Ship no more than 2 cards in top loaders".  Call me crazy, but this implies a top loader is OK as long as it's no more than two cards.  But you ship the card in just a penny sleeve?  Is that typical for ESEs?  Even if you're using cereal box cardboard for help, I'd be concerned about damage or negative feedback because it was not "protected enough". 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@goopiecrisp 

EVERY trading card and postage stamp which I have mailed (using the ESE as I have described) has arrived safely and without any reports of damages by buyers.

EVERY meaning ALL.

As I previously stated -- I do not believe that the  eBay individuals who wrote the descriptions regarding the ESE, had ANY knowledge about top loaders -- how stiffly they were constructed,  or even the actual definition of a "top loader."  But any card collector must realize how inflexible top loaders are constructed, and that it would be quite a miracle for even ONE top loader to bend into a curving set of rollers, making nearly 90 degree turns at high speed.  (Check out the USPS films on YouTube, to watch how actual USPS First Class letters are expected to race at high speeds through the machine rollers -- and then try to imagine a non-flexible top loader making that trip!)

It was wrong of eBay to suggest that sellers use "top loaders" with the ESE.  I can only imagine that the eBay individuals who wrote the ESE mailing instructions misunderstood the difference between "card sleeves" and "top loaders."  Not surprising, considering the mess that eBay has made in the past with "item specifics" in the fields of trading cards, postcards, dolls, pottery, action figures, books, records and so on.

Don't blame the post office -- USPS didn't write the specifications for the ESE.

That's all on eBay.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@goopiecrisp 

Check out the video "How USPS Sorts Mail" on the internet to see the roller systems through which a standard USPS First Class letter must travel swiftly and without interruption -- and then try to figure out how an ESE containing a top loader would make the trip.

Not likely.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

I think Cardsavers or Beckett sleeves would be perfect for this service especially when shipping two cards. The key to having any success with this service is to make the envelope look like any regular envelope. I drop mine off in the outgoing mail inside the Post Office and never bother with the clerks. I generally ship one card toploaded at the lowest rate and rarely have an issue. The envelopes should have enough flex to avoid postal workers from flagging them.

The post office takes a lot of heat for being the problem here but you don't have to look too hard to find sellers abusing this service. I see thick jersey cards being sold all the time using this service. You can even find people selling 180 pt. thick cards like the 2022 Topps Update batting helmet cards from blasters using this service which is insane.  Any piece of mail going through sorting equipment needs flex and should be under 1/4".

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

The only real solution to this problem is to go to a different branch and see if they they're okay, then drop your ESEs off exclusively at their branch. I love the post office, but some branches are better than others (and some are just plain bad--I overheard once a post office worker tell a customer that they could use the free USPS Priority Mail boxes to ship First Class... lol).

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I am having the same issue. Going back to USPS 1st class. eBay standard envelope should be classified on eBay as buyers risk if item shows up damaged or doesn't show up seller is not responsible. Post office in my area just sat on a bunch of mine dating back to last October. I just got them all back today. There is absolutely no reason when I paid the higher rate etc. On these. Almost 300 shipments wanting more postage. Most have already been refunded weeks and months ago. eBay you need to fix this. 

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Doesn't work here. On top of that semi rigid around here for a pack of 100 is almost 30.00. Doesn't make sense when charging free or 1.08 shipping postal rates are way to high. eBay shippers should be getting a huge discount since we are single handedly keeping USPS in business 

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

I work at a  Postal Service processing facility in a major city.        I have seen millions of letters get dumped on the conveyor belt and get processed.       I only use cardsavers to ship my cards when shipping in PWE.        Im too scared the toploaders will get ripped out of the envelope going through the rollers.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

I have sent many toploaded cards with only one being returned to me. No explanation was given why it was returned. I simply re-sent the card and it went through. I personally never ship a card that is thicker than a standard size card using this service. I use a folded piece of card stock paper (same thickness as a greeting card) and fold it and tape the sides with the toploaded and team bagged card inside. A regular invoice folded properly works as well but it is important the the card slide through the roller system without getting hung up. Always use a good quality regular envelope and NOT the semi-rigid ones they are promoting. These are way too rigid with a toploader inside even if under a 1/4". You should be able to run your thumb and forefinger across the the envelope without feeling a big bump that can get caught in the system. These have to be flexible enough to get through the sorting machines if you want any success with this service. 

Message 15 of 29
latest reply