cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help w/Identifying Vintage 40s/50s Swing Summer Dress

hi everyone.  i just found this piece a few days ago and have been meaning to post some pictures here to see what others with more knowledge of these things might think of it.   I would like to know how to correctly describe it for listing.  Unfortunately, there's no label.  I'm pretty sure the fabric is synthetic, but does anyone have any ideas on how to describe it?  i'm guessing it's a blend of maybe rayon, acetate and perhaps something else.  the fabric is reminiscent of the knit silk fabric used by Pucci, but again, i'm pretty sure it's synthetic.  also when approximately does this date from?  I'm assuming late 40s or early 50s but that abbreviated train throws me completely.  and what would you describe this dress as?  what do you call this neckline?  how would you describe the art?  to me it's very mid-century modern, but that seems like a period maybe a little after this dress was worn.  anyway, like i say, this isn't my usual vintage fare.  any help would be greatly appreciated...thanksdress_frnt.jpgdress_back.jpgdress_frnttop.jpgdress_frntcenter.jpgdress_trainbackside.jpgdress_trainlifted.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

i just realized i should include a picture that's close up so you can make out the fabric.  this is a shot of the side zipper.

dress_zipper.jpg

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The "abbreviated train" is called a "peblum."  A very 1940s dress feature.  The neckline is described as "keyhole."  Also popular in the 1940s.  The bodice is "ruched."  The print would be described as a "novelty print."  That is an unusual fabric.  The zipper brand isn't readable but should be helpful for dating.  So should the skirt length (which can't be determined from your photographs.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I had to look up *peblum* to check and see if it's actually a word.

The word you are looking for is * peplum * = 

pep·lum
[ˈpepl(ə)m]

NOUN
  1. a short flared, gathered, or pleated strip of fabric attached at the waist of a woman's jacket, dress, or blouse to create a hanging frill or flounce.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

As for the dress in the OP, I think homemade judging by the up-close pic of the zipper.

1960s I'd guess.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply