cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers win bid but never pay

I'm fairly new to selling on Ebay but have purchased some items over several years. The instructions clearly state, if you win the bidding auction, you are expected to pay. I have three sales that have never paid. One was partly my error in listing the email for paypal with an error. That buyer notified me; I responded as to the fix and never heard from him again even though I sent a couple messages. The other two simply never paid after winning the bidding.  Other than cancelling the bid, is there any responsibility on the part of ebay and/or the buyer to pay for what they've purchased.  The two items aren't anything particutlarly special, but they were removed for over a month while I tried to see if there was a problem for the buyer...did they still want it or did they have some reason they hadn't paid for it yet.  Also regarding feedback, I don't want to leave negative feedback if there is an issue for the buyer, but I certainly don't want to leave positive feedback either. It seems that the lack of payment should be noted on their record and let them dispute the negative feedback. How do y'all handle such things or do you just let them slide as part of doing business?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

First thing first, I presume that you've verify your paypal address and make sure it is correct. Secondly, yes, buyers are supposed to pay. I wait 2 days after purchase and then I submit a notification through eBay about non-payment. If selling via auction, sometimes the winning bidder does not check his email quickly notifying him that they won the auction, or the email gets lost in junk file, as opposed to one who does a buy it now, which means they have the intention of paying immediately, hence they "buy it now". 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hi there and thank you for responding.  I understand the answers given to date. I have, in each of 3 cases, checked to be sure the problem is not on my end. One was, but even after rectifying the problem, I couldn't get the buyer to respond.  I have not notified eBay at the 2 day mark for the same reasons you suggested.  However, after a ten day mark, I send an email to the buyer asking them if they realized they won the bid and that I am ready to ship their purchase once payment is processed. I wait several more days and if there is no response, I then notify eBay.   eBay has already noted that they send a reminder to the buyer within the first few days if payment hasn't been initiated. Perhaps I'm waiting too long, but I am trying to give the buyer a chance because I understand life gets in the way.  After all of that, however, if no payment is ever received, the question I keep asking that no one has answered is what kind of feedback do I leave.  By the 30 day mark, I'm done and make arrangements to list it again.  I hate to give someone a negative mark. On the other hand, if they have a habit of doing this, others should know. I even looked to see if they had something the same or similar to sell and felt by taking my item off the market gave them a better opportunity to sell their items. That didn't seem to be the case with these 3 buyers. I've only been selling since December of 2020 and have already had 3 non-payments. That seems like a lot. So, in the community's opinion, is it appropriate to leave a negative feedback or do you let it go so no one knows if this is a habit or not?  Or, is eBay keeping track of buyers and their follow through with non-payment for winning bids? Thank you again for your help.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is full of non paying bidders / buyers, I noticed it's mainly on auction items, but it happens on buy it now listings as well, you would think ebay would have done something about this after all these years

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Set up your listings so ebay will automatically manage your non-paying bidders.  After so many days ebay will automatically open a non-payment case giving the buyer so many days to pay, then cancelling the sale when they don't pay and you can request a refund of your listing fees and relist your item.  You can do this on all of your listings or tell it which ones you want this on.  Makes things simple and you don't get headaches. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hi4treasure75,

You're really waiting too long to open a case , do it as soon as eBay allows for it, I think it's down to 2 days.  It's foolish to keep your merchandise not listed for a whole month.  I agree with pipilo02, it's easiest to let eBay do it automatically.  Unfortunately, eBay doesn't let sellers leave negative feedback for buyers so all of us are stuck with bad buyers.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@4treasure75  @cambriachick 

eBay allows 96 hours for a winning bidder to pay. After that, the item can be cancelled through the unpaid item process. Cancelling through the proper channel gives the nonpayer a strike. Smart sellers will have their Buyer Requirements set to block bidders with 2 or more strikes in the past year. 

Add them to your Blocked Bidder List.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I suggest to repost the item again.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

My suggestion is that you did not  notice the date of the message.

The OP has 47 current listings, so it seems the issue has been resolved some way or the other.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply