cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitting the rate limit on calls I've never used (and the ones I need to use)

My application has been hitting the rate limits for all of the calls it has been using. At first I thought this was a programmer error and we were making duplicate requests in a loop or re-fetching old data. However, after inspecting the rate limits using the getRateLimits call I've come to see that many calls, even the ones I am not using have been maxed out. Does anyone know how this could have happened? I'm taking steps to ensure that my application keys are secure in case they've been leaked, but is this something that eBay has a history of accidentally or intentionally doing?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@strustore 

The getRateLimit call will report your limits and the calls remaining:

https://developer.ebay.com/api-docs/developer/analytics/static/overview.html

There are quite a few reports on the forums of developers hitting rate limits, when they should not have. We don't know the reason.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

It’s certainly perplexing when you encounter rate limits on API calls that you haven’t made.

Here are a few potential reasons and steps you can take to investigate and resolve the issue:

Shared IP Address: If your application is hosted on a shared server or cloud service, other applications on the same server might be consuming the rate limit. Dog Near Me

Compromised API Keys: As you’ve mentioned, ensure that your API keys are secure. If they have been leaked, they could be used by unauthorized users, leading to rate limits being hit.

Internal Bugs: There might be a bug in your application that’s causing it to make unintended calls. Double-check your code to rule out this possibility.

eBay System Errors: While there’s no widespread report of eBay accidentally maxing out user rate limits, system errors can occur. It’s worth reaching out to eBay’s developer support to inquire if there have been any such incidents.

Monitoring Tools: Implement monitoring tools to track your API usage in real-time. This can help identify unexpected spikes in traffic that could be causing the issue.

Review eBay’s Documentation: eBay provides documentation on their rate limits, which might offer insights into why you’re experiencing these issues.

If you’ve ruled out the possibility of compromised keys and internal bugs, and if the issue persists, contacting eBay’s developer support for further assistance would be the next best step. They can provide more detailed insights into your API usage and help identify the cause of the rate limits being hit.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply