cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New updates coming soon that make it easy to ship internationally

We’ve heard your feedback and we will soon be launching combined shipping on international orders. By offering this option, buyers’ shipping costs will be determined by the weight and size of their entire order, rather than separately for each individual item.

With this new feature, eBay International Shipping will:

• Offer lower shipping costs for buyers
  • Allow buyers to more easily order multiple items from the same seller 
  • Increase conversion for sellers
  • Eliminate significant seller pain points, including the need for sellers to opt out of eBay international shipping or create new ‘combined’ listings specifically for a buyer

We know that buyers value having the ability to choose—that’s why we plan on giving them the option to select their preferred shipping method at checkout when purchasing internationally.

Currently, sellers can only offer eBay international shipping or their own international shipping option on a listing. Soon, sellers who opt in will be able to offer both eBay international shipping and another international shipping option on the same listing. This will also give buyers the option to pay applicable import charges at checkout or defer them until delivery.

Please ensure that all questions and comments remain on topic. Any off topic posts will be moved to the appropriate board, so they can be answered by Community Members. 

Please allow us 24-72 hours to provide an answer to your question. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

1. Can you provide more context for the "coming soon" time frame? Does that mean before the end of the year? If yes, does that mean all sellers before end of year or a phased rollout that extends into 2024?

2. Ability to offer different choices is a positive change, but it begs the question if eBay will ever give sellers the option to set eIS at the listing (or biz policy) level without having to resort to setting up exclusions.

3. Combined eIS shipping is a very positive change. Questions about how it will work:

a. How will the system know box size? Example: listing set up with 7x7x7 box for a single item. If a buyer purchases 4 that increases box dimensions to a 12x12x8 box but we sellers have no way to enter that info in the system. FAQ mentions splitting orders by weight, but not by dimensions. Is the system looking at box size for a single item even on combined purchases?

b. What happens with multi quantity purchases that have to ship in multiple boxes? Say I can fit 4 in one box but the buyer purchases 8 which requires splitting into 2 boxes. Per eIS terms of service, we cannot ship more than one box per order. How is a seller supposed to handle that transaction? Cancelling eIS orders due to address is systematically not an option, cancelling as out of stock is not right because of defects to the seller, and shipping in multiple boxes is against eIS terms. So are we supposed to do a buyer requested cancel with a message telling the buyer why and that they have to place 2 separate orders if they still want the items?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

1. Can you provide more context for the "coming soon" time frame? Does that mean before the end of the year? If yes, does that mean all sellers before end of year or a phased rollout that extends into 2024?

2. Ability to offer different choices is a positive change, but it begs the question if eBay will ever give sellers the option to set eIS at the listing (or biz policy) level without having to resort to setting up exclusions.

3. Combined eIS shipping is a very positive change. Questions about how it will work:

a. How will the system know box size? Example: listing set up with 7x7x7 box for a single item. If a buyer purchases 4 that increases box dimensions to a 12x12x8 box but we sellers have no way to enter that info in the system. FAQ mentions splitting orders by weight, but not by dimensions. Is the system looking at box size for a single item even on combined purchases?

b. What happens with multi quantity purchases that have to ship in multiple boxes? Say I can fit 4 in one box but the buyer purchases 8 which requires splitting into 2 boxes. Per eIS terms of service, we cannot ship more than one box per order. How is a seller supposed to handle that transaction? Cancelling eIS orders due to address is systematically not an option, cancelling as out of stock is not right because of defects to the seller, and shipping in multiple boxes is against eIS terms. So are we supposed to do a buyer requested cancel with a message telling the buyer why and that they have to place 2 separate orders if they still want the items?

Hello @wastingtime101! For time frame all we can share as of now is we are looking to have this implemented soon and we will be sure to let sellers know when it is live! Feel free to stop by our expo booth today for eBay Open from 8am to 2pm PST to learn more on combined shipping for EIS!

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I am glad to hear about combining shipping for international orders. When are you going to make it easier to combine shipping for NON international orders?

As a buyer just the other day I was forced to pay for auctions immediately after the sale, each one separately before given the chance to combine the orders or to pick which payment option under PayPal. The seller said he could not/would not combine the orders afterwards for me so I cancelled the order. I will not pay 2 or more times what the shipping cost should be.

That seller could of combined shipping after payment and issue a refund for the difference, but as a seller also we should not have to do that. That seems to be the only way to combine orders now. Please correct this problem and eliminate that forced auto-pay feature.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Good to see that eBay will finally implement combined shipping for EIS. My question is will the EIS shipping acknowledge combined shipping discounts set by the seller (ie: 1st item weighs 15 oz, each additional item subtract 7 oz) or just add the total weight of both items together to get the international shipping cost?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@steady2304 wrote:

Good to see that eBay will finally implement combined shipping for EIS. My question is will the EIS shipping acknowledge combined shipping discounts set by the seller (ie: 1st item weighs 15 oz, each additional item subtract 7 oz) or just add the total weight of both items together to get the international shipping cost?

Hello @steady2304! As we introduce combine shipping for EIS , buyers’ shipping costs will be determined by the weight and size of their entire order, rather than separately for each individual item. This will be determined one the items make it to our shipping hub.

Update:

Hi @steady2304! We have some updated information that we wanted to share it with you:

If shipping discounts are set by the seller ($ or weight), this will be only applicable to domestic part of the shipping - from the seller to the eBay’s domestic hub. For the international part of the shipping, eBay will provide the combined shipping cost to a buyer beforehand based on total predicted weight of the package and total order price.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I don't want to speak for @steady2304 , but I believe I'm on the same page with them as I had a similar question seller_update@ebay . When eIS starts combining:

- Seller Update says international portion will combine - great.

- Not addressed in the seller update: will the domestic portion also combine when, for example, a seller has combined shipping rules in place or a shipping promotion in place?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I don't want to speak for @steady2304 , but I believe I'm on the same page with them as I had a similar question seller_update@ebay . When eIS starts combining:

- Not addressed in the seller update: will the domestic portion also combine when, for example, a seller has combined shipping rules in place or a shipping promotion in place?

@wastingtime101 For the domestic shipping portion, yes as long as the seller has it set up on their side and the eIS item meets combined shipping rules.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

seller_update@ebay wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@wastingtime101 For the domestic shipping portion, yes as long as the seller has it set up on their side and the eIS item meets combined shipping rules.

seller_update@ebay 

Will US sellers have the option to send revised invoices and Intl buyers to request revised invoices BEFORE payment? In majority of cases combined shipping requires a new box. (Even for multi unit listings.) Combined shipping should not be based on the weight of each item in its own box/packaging. Originally, similar to adding a charge for each additional unit it should have also been addressed by adding an additional weight. Again, not an additional box.

Are there plans when it comes to pre calculating duties, taxes and processing to have those based on Best offer vs the original listing prices plus reduced/revised shipping costs? Once duties and taxes have been collected next to impossible to get a credit (from a Canadian perspective).

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

seller_update@ebay 

Will US sellers have the option to send revised invoices and Intl buyers to request revised invoices BEFORE payment? In majority of cases combined shipping requires a new box. (Even for multi unit listings.) Combined shipping should not be based on the weight of each item in its own box/packaging. Originally, similar to adding a charge for each additional unit it should have also been addressed by adding an additional weight. Again, not an additional box.

Are there plans when it comes to pre calculating duties, taxes and processing to have those based on Best offer vs the original listing prices plus reduced/revised shipping costs? Once duties and taxes have been collected next to impossible to get a credit (from a Canadian perspective).

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

seller_update@ebay 

When this rolled out will the revised combined rates factor in dimensional rating. (Actual weight vs dimensional weight..Whichever is greater)? How rates are determined with Canadapost.

As per USPS website:

For First-Class Mail, shape and weight will determine the price. For Priority Mail, the price is a combination of weight, size, and how far the mailpiece is traveling. Priority Mail pieces that exceed one cubic foot, are subject to "dimensional weight pricing".

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Hello @steady2304! As we introduce combine shipping for EIS , buyers’ shipping costs will be determined by the weight and size of their entire order, rather than separately for each individual item. This will be determined one the items make it to our shipping hub.

How will a buyer know what they are paying for the international shipping leg at checkout if they don't know what the dimensions of the box are and how much it weighs until it arrives at the shipping hub?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@steady2304 wrote:

How will a buyer know what they are paying for the international shipping leg at checkout if they don't know what the dimensions of the box are and how much it weighs until it arrives at the shipping hub?

Hi @steady2304! Once the buyer has the item in the cart they will see the total charges for the item itself plus any customs or VAT fees. Here is an example of what the buyer would see when they are viewing an item:

image (29).png

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@steady2304 wrote:

Hi @steady2304! Once the buyer has the item in the cart they will see the total charges for the item itself plus any customs or VAT fees. Here is an example of what the buyer would see when they are viewing an item:

image (29).png

I know how EIS currently works.

My question referred to combined international shipping through the EIS program considering if a buyer buys multiple items, how will the shipping be figured at checkout if a buyer doesn't know what size and weight the package with the multiple items will come in until after it arrives at the shipping hub as stated. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Will EIS use the calculated shipping rule that applies to the Domestic shipping, to figure out the EIS International shipping cost, if the seller has calculated shipping rules set up for Domestic shipping? 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@steady2304 wrote:

@steady2304 wrote:

image (29).png

I know how EIS currently works.

My question referred to combined international shipping through the EIS program considering if a buyer buys multiple items, how will the shipping be figured at checkout if a buyer doesn't know what size and weight the package with the multiple items will come in until after it arrives at the shipping hub as stated. 

@steady2304 Currently, scale weight thresholds for the eBay International Shipping program are set up at max 44 lbs for non-Canada locations and max 66 lbs for Canada ship-to addresses. Additionally, the package can’t exceed 48 inches in length and 84 inches in length and girth ((height x 2) + (width x 2)). These thresholds will be applied to the whole order - total order scale weight shouldn't exceed the threshold. If it does, the order will be split into multiple orders up to the threshold each.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply