cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Denied Claim on $925 package that was marked as deliverd by USPS but I did not recieve

Purchased a kitchen appliance and was shipped right away using USPS.  Was home for delivery, but didn't hear door bell for package.  Saw the USPS van parked outside, but didn't see the package in the hallway.  An hour later, saw that the package was marked delivered and left in the "mail room/entrance".  I went to check and it was not there.  Reported to USPS and was told that it was delivered.  Contacted seller since I started having issues to confirm address and insurance.  Got no reply.  Reached out to ebay and I was told initially that since the item was over $750 that signature confirmation was required so that funds will be refunded.  The next day ebay responds that the seller has determined the package is delivered so no refund.  Case closed.  When I appealed the decision saying I was just told that signature confirmation was required according to seller rules and was just told by the last customer service rep the day before.  The reply was that there is no change in decision.  Case closed.  I am extremely disappointed.  I feel like the USPS didn't actually deliver the package and just said it was probably stolen and ebay and the seller aren't following the rules established.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay Denied Claim on $925 package that was marked as deliverd by USPS but I did not recieve

@aln413is,

The problem with ebay's Item Not Received (INR) system is that when a claim is filed, the tracking number is checked by a computer looking only for a Delivered scan.  It cannot look for the delivery address.  When an appeal is filed more information has to be presented for the initial ruling to be overturned.  If you open the link below and click on the Go to Best Answer button, you will get the information needed to get resolution.  At this point since you have lost an appeal your last ebay option is to contact them through one of their social media sites, there are links to them in the reply I wrote there.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Fake-Tracking-information/m-p/34266951#M475809

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@aln413is,

The problem with ebay's Item Not Received (INR) system is that when a claim is filed, the tracking number is checked by a computer looking only for a Delivered scan.  It cannot look for the delivery address.  When an appeal is filed more information has to be presented for the initial ruling to be overturned.  If you open the link below and click on the Go to Best Answer button, you will get the information needed to get resolution.  At this point since you have lost an appeal your last ebay option is to contact them through one of their social media sites, there are links to them in the reply I wrote there.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Fake-Tracking-information/m-p/34266951#M475809

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

the tracking number is checked by a computer looking only for a Delivered scan.  It cannot look for the delivery address. 

@mudshark61369 

Can the "bot" determine if a signature was required and not provided as part of the delivery confirmation?  

@aln413is 

Did the tracking show that someone actually signed for the parcel?  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sounds like the fake tracking number scam. That is where a cheap items is sent to an address in your zip code.  That is good enough.  First contact the shipper and ask if that tracking number went to your address. If not, ask for a letter stating that. An email will do.

If you paid by credit card contact your card company. If not, the payment service you used.  Since it said delivered, you CAN NOT file an item not received case. You needed to file an item not as described case.  After all, you know they did not send an expensive item to a random address. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

A customer service rep says the sender provided a signature confirmation and said i would need to contact the sender and post office for more info.

the tracking on usps did not have signature confirmation on it, just that it was delivered in the mail room/front reception.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

For an issue such as this you need to contact eBay on FB ( www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness).

I'd recommend trying that if you haven't and let us know what they say.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

A customer service rep says the sender provided a signature confirmation....

@aln413is 

Basically, if you are dealing with the eBay CS reps that you get in a call back or chat, you need to understand that the information they provide to you is not always correct.  eBay's first line of defense in these situations is to DENY the claim, DENY the appeal, and those outsourced foreign call center reps continue with the same stance until you give up and go away.   The idea that the "seller" told CS they have "signature confirmation" without online proof is bogus at best.  If it were obtained, it would show on the USPS website.  

Since SIGNATURE COMFIRMATION is required, it is rather odd that in the absence of same you have been denied an INR claim.  

You may have to take a trip to your local Post Office, show the tracking number information from your eBay documents, and have them check if the parcel was indeed intended for you, or misdelivered. If you feel you are a victim of fraud, your Post Master can also tell you  if the parcel was signed for as required, and USPS can tell from the GPS coordinates where it was delivered.   You can often get the documentation in writing at that time from your Post Master, and if warranted,  file a mail fraud complaint at that time. 

Once you have that information, you will be in a better position to proceed, either with eBay though a social media portal, OR PayPal if you paid that way, OR your credit card BUT NOT ALL AT THE SAME TIME. 

Understand that the eBay Money Back Guarantee is basically a FAIL when there is a recorded "delivery" scan.  It doesn't matter if the tracking was initiated before you even purchased the item, if it is for a 50 lb. box when your item should be less than one pound, or it was delivered to a local gas station or CVS in your zipcode instead of to you.   You, as the victim, now have the burden of proof.  

Let us know what you find out, and you will get the best advice as how to proceed.  None of the "next steps" are going to involve the regular CS reps, nor will your insistence that you are pursuing an "item not received" claim be of any use no matter where you file it.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@aln413is wrote:

A customer service rep says the sender provided a signature confirmation and said i would need to contact the sender and post office for more info.

the tracking on usps did not have signature confirmation on it, just that it was delivered in the mail room/front reception.

SC must be online-viewable. If USPS tracking doesn't show that a signature was obtained, you should have won the case. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for all of the help!

Just went back to the post office and spoke to the post master in person, this time fortunately.  I think you all are correct that this is a fake tracking scam.

Interesting to see the address and delivery were all correct information, but the dimensions and weight of the product (a kitchen appliance min. 14"x13"x13" 18#)  was shipped in a 6# small flat rate box.

Going to reach out to ebay via social media.  Thanks for the links.  This process was really discouraging at the start, but feel like there's hope to getting the money back.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Finally got the case resolved and the funds returned.  Going to the post office to speak to a CS rep there was key to getting the details.  Specifically (signature confirmation and package details (size/weight)). 

It seems unusual to reach out to ebay via facebook messenger to reach an actually customer service rep, but they were able to help and refund the money after a week.  

Thank you very much to all that have helped. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@aln413is 

So happy it turned out well for you.  You update is most appreciated! 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply