cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indiana man indicted on $2mil eBay & PayPal fraud

41 REPLIES 41

It is great that they caught him but it is highly disturbing that he has been doing on

since 2013 and they are only just now catching him?

I guess it is true: The mills of the Gods grind exceedingly slow.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

I guess those policing 'bots are still at the academy.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

I think this proves that perhaps it DOES help to report the fraud that we experience. Maybe one report alone won't do it, but many voices will get heard.  

I hope we see more and more of these stories.  And perhaps the Feds will get more active in pursuing these scammers. 

Kind of sad though, he scammed over $2 million, but his fine is $250,000.  And we have to pay to house him in prison for years.  Yup, the U.S. came out on top on that one.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

I think this proves that perhaps it DOES help to report the fraud that we experience. Maybe one report alone won't do it, but many voices will get heard.  

I hope we see more and more of these stories.  And perhaps the Feds will get more active in pursuing these scammers. 

Kind of sad though, he scammed over $2 million, but his fine is $250,000.  And we have to pay to house him in prison for years.  Yup, the U.S. came out on top on that one.

Yeah, I agree.   😕

I wonder what his neighbours in that fancy dan development thought, or if it was really on the down low?  I remember when the man who lived in the flat next to mine was arrested for murdering his former employer in her shop downstairs from me in a fit of rage, then tried to set fire to the shop (under my flat).  Apparently there had been bad blood for a long time.  All of this was going on and I didn't even know?!  I used to say 'hi' to the guy almost every day coming and going.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 42
latest reply

That sounds like it was a lot of work.

It certainly doesn't sound like it was a simple thing to do, dodging all those chargebacks and complaints from PayPal and credit card companies.

Just imagine what he could have accomplished if he put all that effort to good use.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@jojitsusensei wrote:

It certainly doesn't sound like it was a simple thing to do, dodging all those chargebacks and complaints from PayPal and credit card companies.

Just imagine what he could have accomplished if he put all that effort to good use.

Honest people like ourselves think about that aspect, but for someone like him, gaming the system is what matters. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 42
latest reply

@jojitsusensei wrote:

Yes, just imagine, he could have been the CEO or CFO of a large corporation, 'most anywhere in the world.  One only need apply themselves.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 42
latest reply

It is disturbing that it took them 6 years to roust him out.

So much for reporting this kind of activity and if attention is paid to it.

eBay still made their fees as did PayPal.

The sellers took the loss to the tune of $2M.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

I doubt it.

He obviously had criminal connections to start with to be able to get the information needed to set up those accounts in the first place.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

I guess those policing 'bots are still at the academy.

This is an old and tired statement IMHO.  I know it is popular to blame everything on Ebay, but that doesn't make it true.  It appears that the scheme this particular person was running was far more within the PP site.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Lake Mary Woman Convicted Of Mail Fraud Involving Scheme

To Defraud eBay And PayPal

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/pr/lake-mary-woman-convicted-mail-fraud-involving-scheme-defraud-e... 

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Another great story! Hopefully there will be more in the news. It's a glimmer of hope.  With the stories collected maybe we could have a new category on the forum?   The 'You've Been Busted' list.  lol

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

Another great story! Hopefully there will be more in the news. It's a glimmer of hope.  With the stories collected maybe we could have a new category on the forum?   The 'You've Been Busted' list.  lol

While it is extremely important to catch the bad actors, it is very bad for business.  Buyer trust goes down and that is not good at all for all of us honest sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 42
latest reply

"While it is extremely important to catch the bad actors, it is very bad for business. Buyer trust goes down and that is not good at all for all of us honest sellers."

I agree to a certain extent...but...if the perception is that eBay does not care that the bad guys are caught then buyer 'trust' will continue to erode. EBay already has the reputation of being scamBay.
Message 15 of 42
latest reply