cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making an offer scam

Everytime I allow buyers to "Make Offer" I receive phony offers from buyers that want me to contact them outside of Ebay with a text and/or PayPal info. How can I stop this from happening? Once a buyer makes an offer and it is accepted, the item no longer shows for sale. There must be a way to keep this from happening besides never using the "Allow offer" functionality. Help please! This has happened multiple times to me and it's very frustrating.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Making an offer scam

You can list with fixed price, immediate payment required.  

Furthermore, you are not required to respond to offers.  Maybe you didn't know that.  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Making an offer scam

The only way to stop it is to stop using the Best Offer feature. There is no mechanism (yet) to require payment before an accepted offer ends your listing.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Making an offer scam

Never using 'Allow offer' is all you can do. You certainly can't police  what other members send you, but you can ignore what other users send you. Yes... it is frustrating and we all empathize. Stay vigilant. Good luck.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Making an offer scam

@niecer2 wrote:

Once a buyer makes an offer and it is accepted, the item no longer shows for sale. There must be a way to keep this from happening besides never using the "Allow offer" functionality. Help please! This has happened multiple times to me and it's very frustrating.

If you have Make Offer on your listings, you are allowing scammers to sneak in that way. You're also suggesting to real buyers that your "Fixed Price" is just an asking price, and it would be worth their time to waste yours with rounds of haggling. You cannot predict whether accepting an offer will get you a buyer or a scammer until you receive either the payment or a request for you to text them for some fake reason.

Dump the silly Make Offer (if you can; I know eBay forces it on some sellers) and just list for the price you really want to get for it, and be sure the Immediate Payment Required option box has been checked.

Realistically, if you're entertaining Make Offer, that means you have some kind of idea about what price you would "really" accept, so why not just list that price to begin with, dump the Make Offer, check the IPR box and be done with it.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Making an offer scam

Once a buyer makes an offer and it is accepted, the item no longer shows for sale.

If you want to continue receiving offers for your fixed price immediate payment items, you can choose not to accept the offers you receive. Instead, temporarily lower the buy-it-now price to the acceptable offer amount. That allows you to maintain your immediate payment requirement. Until the buyer actually completes checkout and pays, the item remains for sale. If the buyer does not complete the purchase in a timely fashion, you can decide to raise the price again if you choose.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Making an offer scam

"Hey, Doc, it hurts when I do this!"

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Making an offer scam

Ebay has to make a new rule for the Sellers re: the Best Offer option. As a Buyer, I'm fed up with sellers who , under the 'Buy it now", want $50 for their item OR you can make an offer. When you go to make an Offer, you get 3 suggested prices, for example $45, 46, 47. Me the buyer offers $46, the Seller comes back AFTER making you wait 24 hours, at $49 !!!!! Why did the Seller waste my time for a frigin dollar? Why did he place the 3 other price options he listed on the offer box if he had no intention of seriously considering them? Ebay should make the seller accept one of the 3 prices the seller listed OR DON'T USE THE **bleep** BEST OFFER TOOL!

Ebay has to also start clamping down on sellers who use the Best offer option. Ebay must rule that a seller must respond in 24 hrs. either way, whether the seller is countering or refusing altogether on the buyer's offer. It's rather ignorant of Ebay and the seller to keep the buyer waiting 24 hrs. with no response AT ALL EVEN AFTER THE 24 HRS.. The buyer could have lost the chance to buy a similar item from another seller.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Making an offer scam

can you help me with scamming

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Making an offer scam

This is an ancient thread and will be closed by the mods.  Try making your own thread if you have something to say.

@hunjac-73  same for  you, you won't be able to get many answers here before the mods shut this down, so try making your own thread.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply