cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private feedback non paying buyer from Philippines

Just curious if anyone else is having this issue. I sell sports cards and there is a fake bidder that has created numerous 1 to 2 feedback private accounts that is constantly bidding and not paying. He is bidding against himself multiple times usually in the last few minutes even seconds. Multiple accounts all from the Philippines. For anyone that sells sports cards he's done this to numerous different Trae Young auctions (mine and others) and this past weekend he did it to a Jaren Jackson auction I had. How do I stop this? I've blocked about 20 of these accounts and it just keeps happening over and over. If he isn't using a VPN Ebay should really look into ip bans because this is ridiculous. The simple solution would be to let us block users that keep their feedback private but heaven forbid sellers get a little assistance around here. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@fatherandsoncards3 

You can enable your buyer requirements & request that they have a payment plan set up before they can bid.  This is a new feature due to fake bidders and non payers.  I personally don't run auctions due to what you are experiencing.  There are others here that can guide you thru your buyer requirements.  That will curb they're bogus bids.  I'd try it to avoid further headaches and disruptions.

Good luck and Happy Selling

PS You can always sell your items at a buy it now fixed price, immediate payment required and no best offers.  Just a suggestion.  

Good luck and Happy Selling.  

PSS Go to this thread and see @dbfolks166mt post.  It's helpful. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Way-too-many-unpaid-items-lately-If-you-don-t-want-it-don-t-bi...

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

I am having the same issue trying to sell a trae young card.  They have done it at least 3 times and i tried blocking the phillipines from my sales but they keep doing it.  I have no clue why.  I'll probably change it to a buy it now with immediate payment. Definitely really annoying.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

If they are actually bidding on your items, they are not a "fake bidder", they are a real bidder placing real bids.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

In your account settings under selling preferences edit the following section and near the bottom you will see the option shown below. Check the box and it will apply to all your current listings as well as future ones. This is only in the pilot phase at the moment so it may not catch all buyers but it in essence is an autopayment feature for auctions and OBO, similar to BIN/IPR. 

It does come with some tradeoffs however one of which is the ability to automatically do combined shipping but there are ways to work around that. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1700195600389.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1700195627626.png

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@fatherandsoncards3 

You can help yourself on this issue.  If this person is continually able to bid on your items, one of two things are happening.

To best protect yourself, go to your Site Preferences then to Buyer Requirements.  Make sure you set the number on cancellations due to non payment to the strictest possible.  Which is 2 in 12 months.

Then when you get a buyer that doesn't pay, 96 hours after they have made the purchase or won the auction file the cancellation using the reason the buyer did not pay.  

This will stop a buyer in their tracks if they get two of them on their account in the past 12 months.  The moment they try to bid or purchase from you they will get a message on their screen that they can not purchase or bid on your items.

There are also two newer Buyer Requirements you will notice at the bottom.  Ebay automatically checked them off for you.  Both of those options are being rolled out on the site.  So if they aren't affecting you yet, they will within the next couple of months if you leave them checked.  If you don't want them, then make sure you uncheck them.

Buyer Requirements 8-8-23 Pg 1.jpgBuyer Requirements 8-8-23.jpg

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

How does a bidder bid against himself? Or do you mean he uses identity A to bid against identity B which is also him?  

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

You can help yourself on this issue.  If this person is continually able to bid on your items, one of two things are happening.

To best protect yourself, go to your Site Preferences then to Buyer Requirements.  Make sure you set the number on cancellations due to non payment to the strictest possible.  Which is 2 in 12 months.

Then when you get a buyer that doesn't pay, 96 hours after they have made the purchase or won the auction file the cancellation using the reason the buyer did not pay.  

It will be interesting to watch the potential shift as eBay finishes rolling out the requirement for buyers to provide a payment source prior to making an offer or placing a bid. That will effectively eliminate the non-payers and make the non-payment strikes less and less relevant over time. 

The question will be whether the sport bidders and offeror's revert or turn into sport cancelers or sport returners. Fully understand that only the seller can approve and execute a cancelation but how many sellers would really want to refuse a cancelation request and proceed with sending the item to the buyer only to have them request a return. 

This will stop a buyer in their tracks if they get two of them on their account in the past 12 months.  The moment they try to bid or purchase from you they will get a message on their screen that they can not purchase or bid on your items.

There are also two newer Buyer Requirements you will notice at the bottom.  Ebay automatically checked them off for you.  Both of those options are being rolled out on the site.  So if they aren't affecting you yet, they will within the next couple of months if you leave them checked.  If you don't want them, then make sure you uncheck them.

Still no announcement from eBay when this will be enabled site wide or if it ever will. There is also no indication as to whether the seller will continue to have the option to turn off the payment requirement option. There are also some other tradeoff's with the new options such as combined shipping and potential buyer pushback that may have an adverse impact on both the sellers and the buyers. 

At the moment I have turned off the option waiting to see if possibly eBay is going to attempt to address the issues before they go site wide, if they do. 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

You may have missed where I said Ebay was in the process of rolling those two new requirements out.  Neither are site wide yet.  It will likely take a month or two for that.

IDK if they are going to announce it, to my knowledge they never said they were, but I could have easily missed that.

"There is also no indication as to whether the seller will continue to have the option to turn off the payment requirement option."  I think we all have enough things to deal with instead of trying to borrow another issue.  I don't have an answer for your question, but it makes no sense to me that they would do as you suggest, they haven't done that on our other buyer requirements, but anything can happen I suppose.  It won't however be on my worry list.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

You may have missed where I said Ebay was in the process of rolling those two new requirements out.  Neither are site wide yet.  It will likely take a month or two for that.

I didn't miss it and thought I had eluded to the same thing with regards to the roll out. 

IDK if they are going to announce it, to my knowledge they never said they were, but I could have easily missed that.

Same here I saw the announcement about the new capability and the pilot testing but nothing after that, either that or I also missed it. 

"There is also no indication as to whether the seller will continue to have the option to turn off the payment requirement option."  I think we all have enough things to deal with instead of trying to borrow another issue.  I don't have an answer for your question, but it makes no sense to me that they would do as you suggest, they haven't done that on our other buyer requirements, but anything can happen I suppose.  It won't however be on my worry list.

Not huge on my worry list either and like most changes once in place I simply adapt and keep on going unless the change is significant enough that it forces me to move some things to other platforms and venues which has happened in the past. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I appreciate all the help with this problem but none of this has helped me. I even have the provide proof of payment requirements checked and still not working. The guy is literally bidding on my most expensive listing ending tonight with multiple 0 or 1 feedback accounts set to private. I block two of them and he/she just comes back with two more accounts. THIS IS RIDICULOUS EBAY. Why can't I just choose to block bidders that set their feedback to private? I don't care what the reason is to set feedback private I should have the option to block them. So once again I will have a wasted listing go off in a few hours because of the same person. And there's no point in relisting the auction because they will just continue to do this over and over again. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I had the same problem with a "buyer" from Australia. After I blocked him the first time, he returned as a BIN on the same item, but with 1 number changed on their username. 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I even have the provide proof of payment requirements checked and still not working.

Do you have the Philippines Blocked as a destination?

Have you been opening Unpaid Item Disputes (UID) for each of the unpaid items.

Do you have an automatic Block on bidders with Strikes for UIDs?

The automatic Block is supposed to work against anyone using that online address. We have seen complaints that turn out to be because a family member or  roomate has been Blocked. 

Why can't I just choose to block bidders that set their feedback to private?

If you are using Auctions, you  can  monitor bidders , cancelling and Blocking any you feel unhappy about.

And of course.

You can use Fixed Price/ Immediate Payment Required.

No money, no transaction.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@coloradospaul wrote:

I had the same problem with a "buyer" from Australia. After I blocked him the first time, he returned as a BIN on the same item, but with 1 number changed on their username. 

@coloradospaul 

Just so you know, members can only change their user name once every 30 days.  Likely if it is something they make a habit of doing, hopefully Ebay would catch on to it and investigate why.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

If they were "real bidders" placing "real bids" they would pay for them.
Or maybe they're "real bidders" placing "real bids" but "fake buyers"??

Either way, I'm sure our word salad innovations offered zero solutions to the poor guy.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply