cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use USPS priority mail boxes when shipping with USPS Ground Advantage?

Are you able to ship USPS Ground packages with the free USPS priority mail boxes?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Nope cannot do this.  USPS may reject the package, send you a bill for Priority Mail or may ask the person receiving package to pay the additional amount for Priority Mail.  

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/How-do-I-Use-or-Reuse-Boxes-Properly

Can I Use Priority Mail Express® Service or Priority Mail® Service Envelopes for Other Mail?

If any Priority Mail Express service or Priority Mail service packaging or packaging supplies e.g., Priority Mail tape to seal a USPS Ground Advantage™ package, are used on any other class of mail, the applicable Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail price will be charged.

• Misuse may be a violation of federal law.
  • Turning the packaging inside out to conceal the Priority Mail / Priority Mail Express insignia is specific misuse that is not allowed.

Any matter mailed in these free boxes is charged the appropriate Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail price, regardless of how the packaging is reconfigured (including being turned inside out, cut, shrunk, enlarged, etc.) or how the markings are obliterated.

Mail dropped in a Collection Box receptacle using inappropriate packaging (including, for example, mailing Priority Mail items in an Priority Mail Express box) is either:

• Sent on as insufficient postage mail OR
  • Returned to the sender.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Nope cannot do this.  USPS may reject the package, send you a bill for Priority Mail or may ask the person receiving package to pay the additional amount for Priority Mail.  

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/How-do-I-Use-or-Reuse-Boxes-Properly

Can I Use Priority Mail Express® Service or Priority Mail® Service Envelopes for Other Mail?

If any Priority Mail Express service or Priority Mail service packaging or packaging supplies e.g., Priority Mail tape to seal a USPS Ground Advantage™ package, are used on any other class of mail, the applicable Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail price will be charged.

• Misuse may be a violation of federal law.
  • Turning the packaging inside out to conceal the Priority Mail / Priority Mail Express insignia is specific misuse that is not allowed.

Any matter mailed in these free boxes is charged the appropriate Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail price, regardless of how the packaging is reconfigured (including being turned inside out, cut, shrunk, enlarged, etc.) or how the markings are obliterated.

Mail dropped in a Collection Box receptacle using inappropriate packaging (including, for example, mailing Priority Mail items in an Priority Mail Express box) is either:

• Sent on as insufficient postage mail OR
  • Returned to the sender.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Seller recently shipped me a Ground Advantage Package in a Priority Box. I was charged $2.95 additional postage at the post office upon pickup (difference in price between the postage paid by seller and the appropriate priority label). I then went to the seller for reimbursement.

Do not do this ... you will not get away with it and you will inevitably P-Off your buyers... big time.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Nope.  Those boxes require priority postage on them.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

And they say laws are made to keep the people safe... what About the law that says I have a ton of USPS priority mailboxes that I cannot use with USPS ground.  That's a waste of boxes and a waste of time. Quit categorizing boxes and making dumb federal laws that make the general use of them against the law. No wonder so many people disregard laws - there are too many ridiculous laws made up for no good reason.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@nenn_7395 

Priority boxes are free from USPS to use for Priority shipping.

USPS is not here to give you "free" boxes to use for a less costly service.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@phoenix_kicksaz wrote:

Are you able to ship USPS Ground packages with the free USPS priority mail boxes?

Uh no, they are for Priority Mail only.

if you use them you have to pay for Priority shipping

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

No

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

And, how much did you pay USPS for those boxes? Nothing, right?  That's because they give them to patrons with the understanding/agreement that they will be used only for USPS Priority or other higher cost USPS shipping services to be billed when used. When you order the free ones with free delivery from USPS, you must ascertain that you understand and agree to the conditions of order, acceptance, and use. 

I applaud your interest in seeing that the boxes are properly used and stay out of the landfill, at least until they fulfill at least one shipping use. Your local PO will receive clean condition ones for inventory and redistribution (at least the ones that are not sized and printed for the specific and discontinued Priority Regional Rate A and B uses). It is probably good to keep a few of various sizes on hand, and even the Regional Rate boxes may be used for regular Priority Mail shipping, though at regular rates billed for box size, weight, and destination.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@nenn_7395 wrote:

And they say laws are made to keep the people safe... what About the law that says I have a ton of USPS priority mailboxes that I cannot use with USPS ground.  That's a waste of boxes and a waste of time. 

Hi @nenn_7395 

It’s only a waste of boxes if you keep them.  🙂

Now that you know the boxes were intended to be used only for Priority shipping … aren’t you planning to return them on your next visit to the post office?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

My post office is always glad to take my extras.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

Then problem solved.  😊

I'm not a seller.  I save the packing peanuts I get from buying items in large, lawn bags ... and then take the full ones to my local UPS store, which is happy to recycle them when they pack stuff in the store.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

@krazzykats wrote:

Then problem solved.  😊

Definitely. If you're not going to use the Priority Mail boxes, drop them off at the local PO. There are shelves and racks there for free Priority packaging, so just refill the shelves.

I get so many purchases coming to me with Priority Mail Flat Rate Padded Envelopes used as stuffing inside the box that I let them flatten out again, then periodically stack them up and bring them back to our local PO.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

The USPS Priority Boxes can only be used for the USPS Priority Service level. If you try to use them for Ground Advantage, then either the parcel will be returned to the shipper for additional postage or the USPS will try to collect extra postage from the recipient. 😱

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@714ricki wrote: .... If you try to use them for Ground Advantage, then either the parcel will be returned to the shipper for additional postage or the USPS will try to collect extra postage from the recipient. 

The APV system will automatically charge the sender for the underpaid postage. 

https://link.usps.com/2017/10/05/what-is-apv/

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/ebay-shipping-partners/avoid-extra-postage-costs....

Message 15 of 23
latest reply