cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's refusal to identify specifics with their Firearms Policy

I've sold on eBay, with different accounts, for going on ten years now.  I just had a listing for a group of Winchester 1897 shotgun parts removed for a violation of the Firearms Policy stating that I was listing a receiver.  Here is the list of parts, copied from my description:

Complete (I think?) carrier group

Carrier pin stop screw

Trigger and trigger pin

*Butt plate

Guard bow

Action slide hook

Adjusting sleeve 

Receiver shank

Sear spring

Four misc screws and one spring

Stock bolt and washer

This is everything that was in the listing, literally copied and pasted from my listing.  From what I can tell, nothing in here should violate the policy as nothing is a receiver. 

In talking with a customer service rep I was advised that selling "essential parts" of a firearm is not allowed.  Considering EVERY gun part is pretty darn essential to the safe operation of a firearm, that is left open to a very wide interpretation of what is not allowed.  That being said, of course we can list firearm parts. 

The eBay rep I spoke with either refused outright, or was unable to, tell me what specific part(s) of this listing violated this policy.  I say either refused outright or unable is because I just don't know.  He wasn't NOT telling me because he was rude, I just don't know if he wasn't allowed to or just truly didn't know.  Every time I asked him what specific part violated the policy he wouldn't tell me.  He then read through the list of parts that I listed above and said that all of them combined could be used to build a firearm and that is why my listing was flagged.

The customer service rep said they have a team who reviews listings and ends them if they see a policy violation but there is no way to talk with anyone from that team because they work offline.  When I pressed him about someone, somewhere at eBay knowing how to get ahold of them to discuss this, I was repeatedly told it was not possible.  We were going around in circles, like I knew would end up happening going in to the call, because that is what always happens with their customer service, so we ended the call with, once again, not a single question of mine being answered.

As far as I'm concerned there is not a single piece that I had in this listing that violates their policy.  The rep kept saying that "essential parts", which is what the message from eBay says, are not allowed.  He would not/could not tell me what constitutes an 'essential part'.  Does anyone on here know what eBay considers an 'essential part', aside from a receiver?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

eBay's refusal to identify specifics with their Firearms Policy

Maybe it was the word receiver  that caused the bot to remove the listing.

I know when a listing is removed that you are not allowed to modify the description and relist it. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply