cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On this day in history.....

This is for all of us, and anything goes! We can post historic events, or personal anecdotes or weird weather events, whatever we like! 

And I'll start with today being July 17th. In my personal history, on this day in 1978, I hit a sand patch while on my bike, skidded and broke my right elbow along with road rashing my face badly! It hurt, A LOT! But there's always a silver lining, right? When school started , everybody wanted to carry my books and such because I had a whole 6 minutes between classes to navigate the stairs, lol! 

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Today is celebrated as World Emoji Day and Yellow Pig day. 

runscream.gif

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 2 of 65
latest reply

1895 ~  "Machine Gun" Kelly was born

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 3 of 65
latest reply

I'm going to have a bit of bother with this thread. LOLOL

Here it is the 19th.

On this day I finally found the wooden top of DD's desk - hasn't been touched since 2009. 

Message 4 of 65
latest reply

Woohoo, go Buzz!

Screenshot_20230719-084306_Chrome~2.jpg

Message 5 of 65
latest reply

On this day in 2016, Donald Trump was officially nominated as the Republican candidate for President of the USA.

Message 6 of 65
latest reply

Talk about extremes.

World's lowest-ever natural temperature recorded −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F; 184.0 K) at Soviet Vostok Station, Antarctica

On July 21, 1983

I'm always facinated by the opposites. Dom has Winter when we have Summer.

Message 7 of 65
latest reply

On this day (21 July 2023) el Heron started clearing out 1 office stack of paper.  About 7 pounds of paper was placed in the re-cycle can.  One a those things that we seem to get a roun to seldom.  

Message 8 of 65
latest reply

Six minutes!  Wow.  (One thing Heron always liked about correspondence programs was that there was NO hurrying from one classroom to the other.  Work at a leisurely pace!  (Heron signed for a correspondence course the 1st time in 1952.  It was a course on radio repairing. The school was NRI (no connection with the NRA).  National Radio Institute.  And Heron also had 2 correspondence courses whilst in the USCG. Then when Heron worked for the large corporation he signed up for a company operated correspondence course.  That actually lasted for 5 years)

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

Dirigible crashes through bank skylight killing 13 in Chicago, Illinois ~ 1919

Message 10 of 65
latest reply

Just did a Google for 22nd July - here.

Katharine Lee Bates writes ' America the Beautiful ' - in Colorado.

Message 11 of 65
latest reply

Sorry - forgot to add - 1893.

Message 12 of 65
latest reply

1933 : Wiley Hardeman Post (Wiley Post) becomes the first man to fly solo around the world in his plywood monocoque aircraft, the Winnie Mae. He took 7 days, 19 hours -- 21 hours less than his previous record which he had set in 1931 with a navigator, Harold Gatty. Instead of a navigator he had installed an auto pilot device and a radio compass which were still in development, but which allowed him to make his solo journey.

Around the world in a plywood plane.

Message 13 of 65
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

On this day (21 July 2023) el Heron started clearing out 1 office stack of paper.  About 7 pounds of paper was placed in the re-cycle can.  One a those things that we seem to get a roun to seldom.  

Good for you, maybe you'll inspire me! 

Message 14 of 65
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Six minutes!  Wow.  (One thing Heron always liked about correspondence programs was that there was NO hurrying from one classroom to the other.  Work at a leisurely pace!  (Heron signed for a correspondence course the 1st time in 1952.  It was a course on radio repairing. The school was NRI (no connection with the NRA).  National Radio Institute.  And Heron also had 2 correspondence courses whilst in the USCG. Then when Heron worked for the large corporation he signed up for a company operated correspondence course.  That actually lasted for 5 years)

My school was a big old victorian monstrosity, 3 floors, a good 500 feet long, the classrooms were enormous ! The only stairs were on the ends , and we normally had 3 minutes to get to class. It was awfully nice to not have to RUN for a little while, lol! 

Message 15 of 65
latest reply