cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding & Offers Not Working

Hi all,

Hoping someone may be able to assist me here. I've been with Customer Service and have been waiting for a callback as they promised at last call.

I am having trouble making offers and placing bids and attach a screenshot of the message that I get. Have tried on desktop and on mobile app. Same error message.

Unfortunately, you cannot make offers or place bids due to a history of unpaid items on eBay.
Please go to your Purchases in My eBay to complete any pending payments so you can continue making offers and placing bids.
You may also search for other items with the Buy It Now option and pay to complete your purchase.

Customer Service said that they can't see any outstanding transactions or unpaid items and I too am unsure what these relate to.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Bidding & Offers Not Working

A "history" of unpaid items goes back 12 months, which is farther back than you or the customer service rep can see.  It's not just about pending transactions.

Apparently during the past 12 months at least two sellers have canceled transactions with you, based on "Buyer hasn't paid" and thus you are automatically blocked by sellers who have chosen to set up bidding/buying blocks that are based on a buyer's nonpayment history.  

Some sellers do not set up this block, usually because either they don't know about it or because all of their items are set up to require immediate payment.  You can still purchase from those sellers.  The nonpayment strikes roll off after 12 months so eventually you will be able to purchase from all sellers again if you are careful to pay for all of your purchases.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

That error message seems to be associated with running into your Open Transaction Limits. To get below your limits you need to pay for the outstanding unpaid items that now count towards your limits, but that might not be immediately possible because eBay counts items that you committed to buy but cannot pay for at this time against your limits:

1. At least some active auctions that you have bid on (including the one you are trying to rebid on). Originally only those you were in the lead on counted, but it is very likely that the rules have changed since they were last made public to include your outbid bids on running auctions and also any pending Best Offer. To minimize the effect of these wait until near the end of the auction to bid only one time at your TRUE maximum you are willing to pay for the item, and then pay immediately after it ends, to minimize the time it counts towards your limit. You can't pay until you win, so don't use up your open transactions on bids you can't pay for until hours or days later. Waiting to bid also keeps your options open (once you bid you are committed to that auction and can win and have to pay even if you are outbid during the auction--exception if it is still "Reserve not met" after you bid) so you can safely bid on an auction that ends earlier or jump on a great Buy It Now price that gets listed in the interim.

2. Transactions cancelled at your request (or due to problems with your address). Note that these also can result in lowering the limit, so make sure you are going to buy (and CAN buy, that the item ships to your location) BEFORE you commit to buying.

3. Unpaid Item Strikes. Again, don't bid/commit to buy unless you KNOW you can and will pay for every item.

To get these and other buying limits raised or removed in the long run you need to establish a pattern of reliably paying for what you commit to buy.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@yzk-15,

While the answers you received have correct info in them, you have posted your concern on the U.S. based ebay site's (ebay.com) community.  You should have posted it on the U.K. site's community (link below)  since that is where you live. There are some minor differences between the sites and their policies.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/ 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for all of your very informative information. 

I was aware of this type of block, however I have been unable to trace anything back within the last 12 months that can be attributed to that neither can I think of anything that I have bid on and not paid for.

Is there a way that I can check which items or purchases are causing this block?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hi @yzk-15 

You should be able to see all your unpaid items for the past 12 months in your My eBay.  Have you checked there?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Indeed so. But can't see anything. I've not had very lot of buying activity 

That is why I'm confused 😕 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Unfortunately, you cannot make offers or place bids due to a history of unpaid items on eBay

Please assist how  to fix this problem , as nothing is purchases history !

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

How to fix this problem , nothing in purchases history now 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@mfd2024,

You may not be having the same problem that was originally posted about.  When trying to get answers from the people on these boards, it is always best to start your own discussion.

If you tried to bid on or send an offer but could not. You were given a message, and we need to know what it said.

Your problem may be that you are located in the UAE, and the seller whose item(s) you want to bid on or send an offer to, may not ship to your country, even if they say they ship "worldwide".

On the listing page there is a Shipping, Returns & Payments button. Click on that and on the page that opens will be a list of countries the seller will ship to.  If they ship internationally there will be a box that says "Change Country" with a drop down arrow in it. If you click on it and do not see UAE in that list, that is why you cannot bid on, or send offers to that seller.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

it is not working , countnry  not excluded 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@mfd2024,

If the UAE is not excluded, but is it Included?  You would have to check the Country box list, to find that out?

Are you getting a note with a reason  you cannot bid or send offers?  If you have received one does it say something like;  The seller is not allowing you to bid or make offers on their listings?  

Some sellers will block buyers who have a low feedback number. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@yzk-15 wrote:

Indeed so. But can't see anything. I've not had very lot of buying activity 

That is why I'm confused 😕 

Instead of filtering using the unpaid filter the purchases by cancelled to see if any where cancelled as unpaid.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess,

This topic was 1st posted back in January by yzk-15, but was piggy backed on by mfd2024, very early this morning.  I do not think mfd's issue is the same one the OP had.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply