cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers are not out of luck if they haven't received pre-order merchandise after months

I was dumb and bought a large preorder item with a credit card and trusted the seller to deliver. 

It was supposed to come in a couple of months after I ordered but he kept telling me there were delays so I waited and didn't do anything (my mistake). This seller was US-based and had perfect, glowing feedback. He finally stopped responding to me and wouldn't give me a refund after a YEAR. 

After 30 days, of course, eBay protection runs out. Then, the credit cards tell you 3-4 months and then you can't dispute. If I had used PayPal I would've had 6 months. 

But I recently discovered you actually have up to 540 days after the purchase if you didn't receive your item. Here's the info below and applies at minimum to Visa/Mastercard: 

"Consumers have 540 days from the date the transaction was processed to file a chargeback with the issuing bank if the reason for the chargeback is one of the following:

• Services not provided
  • Merchandise not received, or received not as described, or defective merchandise"

Definitely check the fine print and apply it to your situation but I hope this helps someone who didn't get what they ordered and thought they were out of options.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Buyers are not out of luck if they haven't received pre-order merchandise after months

yes, that's right!

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Re: Buyers are not out of luck if they haven't received pre-order merchandise after months

Yep, their feedback was all for selling and it was glowing. I'm very surprised it went south. Seems the company probably didn't deliver like he expected and then he didn't have the money to refund me. 

Agree that too many chargebacks isn't a good thing but this was a large amount!

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Yes that is true. This just went way beyond that.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply