cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Rejected Counteroffer

Hi,

Have a question about counteroffers.

I had an item on my watchlist. Was $22.95. This morning, the seller sent me an offer for $20. There was a counteroffer option. I generally always use it with within reason. It almost always works.

I countered with $18. Seller declined. Of course, after that, I thought to myself maybe I should not have countered, but...you never know, and it usually works. I guess not this time.

Since the seller said in his original message to me that the item will be delisted next week, and since I like it, do you think it's ok to send the seller a message to ask if they'll still take $20? Or should I just forget about it? 

Thanks for your insights.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Question about Rejected Counteroffer

If you want it, and the seller is good with $20, I'd send a message. I don't know that the seller can send another, but could change the listing to allow OBO... then, you'd offer it. Be humble and good luck.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You appear to be asking if It's ok to pay $ 20 for an item that you have valued as being worth $18 to you

It's your money, your decision

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Can't you send another offer?

Once you made the counteroffer the $20 offer was off the table.  The seller declined your $18 offer so that is also gone.  Frankly, if you want the item you can ask the seller to repeat their $20 offer.  However, if I were the seller I'd probably decline that and stick with the full asking price.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@rebell45 wrote:

Can't you send another offer?

I believe that it would depend upon how many offers had been sent back and forth.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thanks. It's a vintage item, so pricing it exactly isn't that easy. Although $20 is a good price for it.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Apparently not. There is no Make Offer on this item. If there's another way, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Ok, thanks. It's unfortunate the seller didn't respond back with a counter of $20 stating that's the lowest he will go. I've had that happen a couple of times, and I usually ended up buying. If I were the seller, that's what I would do.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

No Make Offer on this item, so that option doesn't appear to be available.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Try contacting the seller through eBay messages. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@jeffrey1866,

"I had an item on my watchlist. Was $22.95. This morning, the seller sent me an offer for $20".

It sounds like you added the item that was a promoted listing. It was ebay who sent the offer for the seller.  Your offer of $18.00 was for about a 22% discount and after ebay's fees about 12% of what the seller receives it doesn't seem like there's much room for the seller to make any money. Especially, if as you said the item was already listed for a good price.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Use the contact seller tab in listing and there is an option to "make an offer " there, send them a message asking if they would accept your $20 offer. If they accept they will send you a new offer,

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@jeffrey1866 wrote:

No Make Offer on this item, so that option doesn't appear to be available.

It wasn't that long ago that the making of an offer when there was no best offer option included in the listing was considered by eBay to be an attempt to work an off site deal and more than one buyer was banned from the site.  

Since the item is vintage and, I assume, somewhat harder to find, your thinking that $20 was a good price makes me wonder why you declined it and countered with $18.  Of course, while the seller obviously thought that $20 was a sufficient price, your rejection of it made it an open question and it appears that your greed has gotten the better of you this time.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

It's not relevant why they buyer declined the offer. I don't understand why someone would try to give the op a hard time about it.  People make decisions for different reasons. The op is being open about what happened and is asking for a solution. Why criticize them for it.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply