Did you mean: 

can someone help me id this

20220202_183635.jpg20220202_183717.jpg20220202_183930.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: can someone help me id this

@bjr10,

I can't tell what they are from your photos, on the one sort of close up it looks like there is a slot on the side of one that allows it to fit over a light fixture of some sort, but the opening on the bottom suggests it fit on top of something.   If you can get better close ups of one of them with something in it to give it some scale (dollar bill, quarter) it might help. Maybe cleaning one up to see if the red and blue things allow light through them.   Patina is not always a good thing.  Was it in with some other things that might give you a clue? 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It is an automobile jeweled dash light used in the 1920 and early 1930s. Sold as an aftermarket item. Cars back then did not have built in lights in the gauges, so a lamp holder was/could be mounted on the dash to illuminate them. The wider opening would have been pointed at the gauge you wanted to see. More often than not, it would have come with the fixture to hold the bulb with built-in switch. Do a search of "jeweled lamp" both on the web and eBay, there are a few listed. Patina is not too bad if it is an original era piece. I don't see any cracks, which is a plus. You could do a little cleaning around the jewels, the backlight wouldn't hurt when you list it. These have been reproduced for many years so would not list it as original, but think it might be. I would just list it as used in eBay motors.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I would add, before listing at some of the pie in the sky prices on eBay, I would check the sold prices. Some of those prices currently shown, are a bit, well maybe more than a bit, out there. 🙂 Also popular for some motorcycle people. This may or may not, have just a little too much patina for that crowd. But hey, you never know if the price is right, they might go for it.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the help !!!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply