cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers getting shafted

I sold an item that was exactly as described. The buyer looked at a stock photo rather than looking at the description and listing. It was a brand new item. Buyer complained and demanded a return because of his error. Normally I would've been happy to help but he was being very abrasive and calling me a liar etc. It was his mistake not mine. He left negative feedback and I couldn't get it removed until the case was solved. He escalated the issue to customer service. When I was notified, I contacted customer service and the rep told me that I did in fact describe the item accurately and the buyer was at fault for abusing the buyer protection policy. She then told me to send the buyer an email stating that if he doesn't withdraw his claim that he would lose his eBay privileges. I have all of this on the transcript of the conversation between me and the rep. Well, I did what they said and I was told after 48 hours I would be permitted to request the feedback be removed since it was not accurate at all. Well, after 48 hours, I get another email from eBay, but this time it says they granted the buyer a return and I would have to pay for the items to be shipped back to me. THIS IS A HUGE CROCK and last month I sold over $13,000 worth of items on eBay and they are getting their 10% from me and I am now going to close my account. This is not a sellers site at all. I had a buyer bid on an item and just didn't pay but I couldn't leave any negative feedback or do anything except relist it. Yet I sell an item and describe it perfectly and I get negative feedback and get to pay to have a person who cussed me up and down for his mistake to ship it back to me. EBay can go to hell as far as I am concerned. Just wanted to let you know who you are dealing with! I have been a member of eBay since 1999 (25 years) and they want to pull this. Its beyond ridiculous!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Sellers getting shafted

@rhc1221 

Are you saying the photo was of something different than the description? 
Why not take your own photos?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@rhc1221 

The buyer did not make a mistake. The picture has to match the description and vice versa. Sellers should not use stock photos unless the item matches the photo EXACTLY.  According to Ebay buyers are able to file a Return Request when the item "does not match description or photos".

I am shocked that an Ebay Rep actually told you  "the buyer was at fault for abusing the buyer protection policy. She then told me to send the buyer an email stating that if he doesn't withdraw his claim that he would lose his eBay privileges." Both statements are completely WRONG.

You should have accepted the Return Request.

Regarding the other buyer that did not pay:

When a buyer does not pay, cancel the transaction after 4 days of non-payment have passed, specify "buyer didn't pay".

1. In Seller Hub, go to Orders.
  2. Find the order you want to cancel, and from More actions, select Cancel order.
  3. Select "buyer didn't pay" as the reason for the cancellation and then select Submit to finish.

https://www.ebay.com/help/ip?topicId=4136&contextid=c3b936df-885a-471e-9f26-550bfb6954cc:1844ecfd4da...

All unpaid items are recorded on a buyer's account. Buyers who have excessive unpaid items, or canceled transactions, may have limits imposed, or lose their buying privileges.

Place the non-paying buyer on your Blocked Buyer List:

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock?

Set your buyer requirements to block buyers who caused cancellations of 2 unpaid purchases within 12 month(s).

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I had several golf clubs that were brand new and identical. I used the manufacturer stock photo and in the description it had the loft on each club listed along with the shaft. In order to see the loft of the stock photo, you would have had to enlarge the photo and it still wouldn't be clear. In the listing details and in the description, had the exact information on what was being auctioned. But that isn't the real issue...the issue is I was told point blank by eBay customer service that the buyer was not able to return the item because he violated the buyer protection policy. I was told I could have his negative feedback removed in 48 hours. Then two days after I get this information, I get an email that says the exact opposite. That would be like going to trial and a judge ruling your favor and then two days later changing his mind for no reason.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@rhc1221 

How is a buyer supposed to know the description is correct or the photo is correct. 

Take your own pictures.

The feedback doesn’t qualify for removal. 
CSRs often say things to get the caller off the phone. Truth takes a back seat. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply