cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Also done. After 22+ years, I’m never selling on eBay again.

Same story here.. sold something for $220 bucks, they rounded up to $243 and charged 13% on that. It’s been 2 weeks and eBay is still holding my money as they please for no reason. Seller has already received their item a week ago. 
They’re clearly trying to make up for losing sales by now controlling the cash flow and holding money hostage. What kind of business just gets to keep your money for whatever timeframe they choose? 
Also, I’ve had my account since 1999, have had 100% positive feedback for over a decade and a half, now there’s remarks showing negative “over 12 months ago” at the top of my seller feedback??? I feel like I’m dealing with the IRS. Maybe they think they’re part of the Federal Gov too?? Well that’s all. Rant off. Later, was fun. 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Also done. After 22+ years, I’m never selling on eBay again.

@bryo_3145 wrote:

I'm just turning 22 years old and I'm just starting to sell. Is there any hope ? 

you'll be fine. You have the advantage of not having a memory of what eBay use to be. Just do your thing, adjust to eBays rules and find items you can sell here low risk with some demand. Know the fees and accept them, only sell items that make you money.

You are well positioned compared to a middle-aged guy like me that's not a fan of all the new technology. 

If you have a presence social media and can sort through eBays tutorials to connect all of that I think you could do well. Most 22yo I meet, that stuff is fun to them, to me it's like banging my head against a wall. 

Good luck to you, hope you don't make others issues yours!

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for your support. It's nice to hear something positive for once. 

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

So you sold it for $220 plus shipping plus possibly state sales tax and it added up to $243? The final value fee that a seller pays to eBay is calculated on the item price, the shipping fee and the state sales tax, if any.  In other words, it's calculated on the total amount the buyer pays the seller.

This fee schedule has been in effect on eBay for more than a few of the 20 plus years you have been here.

It's a little surprising that so many responders believe you have a valid point.  

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

@goldensubaru wrote:

It’s been 2 weeks and eBay is still holding my money as they please for no reason. 

Do you really think that ebay picked you at random and is holding your money for "no reason"?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 19 of 40
latest reply

Looks  like you haven't sold any thing for a long time.

eBay probably views you as a NEW seller.  Also you may not have signed in Managed Payments (MP).  In 22  years eBay has  made some significant changes.  You have to be  signed into MP to get paid.

Read link https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/start-getting-paid-ebay?id=4795&st=12&pos=2&query=Sta...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 20 of 40
latest reply

The selling used to be 10% for eBay fees & 2.9% +30 cents for  Pay Pal.  Now  for the  most part the are 12.9% + 30 cents. Not much diff EH???

This will bring you up to speed.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822&st=12&pos=1&query=Selli...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 21 of 40
latest reply

One more thing-

Au Avoir, Adios, Au Wiedersehen, Sayronara, Au Revior, Aloha, Adjö & Ciao &  Of course, Good-Bye!

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

"Thank you for your support. It's nice to hear something positive for once. "

Keep in mind the board gets filled with complaints and vents, the majority of sales go off without a hitch..average is a million sales a day worldwide.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 23 of 40
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

I'm just turning 22 years old and I'm just starting to sell. Is there any hope ? 

You'll be fine.  You don't waste your time and energy fretting over the way eBay used to be.  You're au courant  with technology.  And if you're like most young people I meet,  you'e pragmatic, flexible, and have good people skills. 

-

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

lol sellers like you are so sad.... you read and accepted the terms and conditions right? So you should know that if you don't sell anything within 90 days that ebay will treat you as a new seller and can hold your funds up to I think 30 days or so. It's eBays platform and it's their rules so get used to it if you want to sell here. eBay is also a business & needs to protect themselves as well. If you need your money instantly and don't feel like taking time to read terms & conditions then sell in person, cash in hand. Otherwise stop complaining and read the terms and conditions next time instead of just accepting willy nilly so you know EXACTLY what your getting into when selling on this platform. Also eBay doesn't "round up your payment" lol, where are you getting that from? So now your going to make false statements making it sound like eBay steals from people? That's defamation. Read the terms and conditions please and maybe learn something about the platform before you go and make false statements.

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

Things change.      Ebay and it's fee structure are no different than any of the other sites.    I pay higher fees on other sites than I do here.

Ebay is a business.    You need to look at selling as a business.     Selling fees are part of the cost of business,  just like the rent on my shop.

The trick is to understand the platform and risks.     My price on one site are a bit higher because of the fact I get more returns and claims of INR.

I don't sell certain fabrics on another site because I know that they will not move.

I started out on ebay selling fabric from estates about 15 years ago.     I now have an 1600 square foot shop.

Learn and adjust

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

No problem, and lastly DEVERSIFY!!!! Do not EVER depend on ONE source to SELL if at all possible!!! 

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

"The only thing I could think of why they might be doing this is if you haven't sold an item in awhile, like months."

That is the correct answer.  

Also, it is correct that no actual person sits at a screen and reviews sales minute by minute. 
The computer program is written that way, so that eBay does not have to pay real people to do that job.  
I wouldn't want to guess what the Final Value Fees would have to be if real people did all that work.  

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

@bryo_3145:

Yes, there's plenty of hope here for you, if you READ all the Terms of Use and understand and accept them.

There are a couple other things that are vert important to point out to you, especially as a new seller:

There's a scammer's target on our back, and the scammers are a lot smarter and devious than you can imagine. Read down a few hundred posts on this forum and the other eBay community forums, to educate yourself on the many different online scams going on and how to avoid them. If something seems funny or wrong, come here and post your concern before acting on what could very well be a scam against a you as a new seller.

Finally, NEVER, EVER  sell, and especially ship, any higher-value item anywhere online, that you and your business model cannot afford to lose, in addition to the double insult of losing your payment for it on a forced buyer refund that makes no sense. Higher-value items are better destined for cash  on Craigslist, an auction house, local classifieds, a yard sale, or other trustworthy venue. Anything sold online, in which a buyer uses a credit card, is susceptible to being refunded on a cc chargeback even many months down the road after you think the sale is complete and in the bag. You could end up losing both  the item and your payment for it.

With online selling, what is needed is a combination of common sense, good customer service, prompt shipping when eBay says it's time to ship, and wisdom of knowing how to spot a scam and be able to avoid it.

Welcome aboard, and good luck!

Cheers, Duffy

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@duffy4444 wrote:

Higher-value items are better destined for cash  on Craigslist, an auction house, local classifieds, a yard sale, or other trustworthy venue. 

^This.

I sell ALL my scam target items on craigslist, face to face.

Message 30 of 40
latest reply