cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's suggested Promo rates

I had to laugh when I just created a new listing, and ebay suggested a promo rate of 15.5%

Decided to run an experiment by jacking up the price accordingly and going with their suggestion.

I'm pretty sure it'll end in disaster, but I'll let it run through the weekend and see how it goes.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Ebay makes suggestions / recommendations on all kinds of things, all the time.  I simply ignore them and I go with what I know or think is best for me and my listings.  Ebay will recommend starting prices too and in my experience they are rarely accurate.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Doing listings over the last couple weeks I’ve noticed eBay has suggested outrageous rates. Had to actually laugh myself. There is no way I’d just say “okay eBay, let’s do an extra 18.1 %” on top of my fees of 13.5% for a pair of everyday jeans?!? 

Yes I promote, as I’m in a very saturated category, but never will I go with insane suggestions. Do what works for you! eBay has already shown many of us, that a higher rate just lines eBay’s pockets, NOT the sellers.

Hope your experiment works, but I wouldn’t hold your breath!

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

They funny thing is most sellers don't realize they are paying way above 13.5% profit to Ebay when you total up 13.5%(or 14.5%) of Price + Shipping + Tax. It can be 25...40...60%. Heavy item to ship will always bite you in the end. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@kickin.assets 

@mam98031

You're both right, and I understand all.
Just for fun -- I'm just interested in seeing how many more views it gets me, if any, compared to a similar non-promoted item.

It's an item I can afford to play around with. 

I'll report back. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I totally understand that -- it's nuts.

Just running an experiment to compare views with a similar item.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@vitameatavegamom 

👍 

Tried a few different promoted percentages (since it became a thing) and have found higher did not mean anything, but it sure doesn’t hurt to try something new.

Hope it works in your favor!! 😁

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I posted an item and promoted it 15 % and it sold in about 3 hours and did not get charged the promoted rate.

I don't know when it kicks in...but it was a win for me for something around $100.+.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps That's fantastic! I think it's worth experimenting...

I've done it before for a hard-to-sell item that I just wanted to get rid of, with great results. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@vitameatavegamom wrote:

@12345jamesstamps That's fantastic! I think it's worth experimenting...

I've done it before for a hard-to-sell item that I just wanted to get rid of, with great results. 

Items like that I donate and take the tax write off instead of paying Ebay so much in fees I'm lucky to break even.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

How long ago did that item sell?  Sometimes it takes a while for ad fees to show up, but it's possible you just got an organic sale and it didn't go through the promotion.  Edit: I think when things sell quickly like that, it's because people have alerts via saved searches, so they're not seeing promoted listings in their search, they're getting a message that a new item has been listed for their saved search and they go right to it.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Good option for people who itemize instead of taking the standard deduction.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@kickin.assets 

Thx -- Well, I've had the same results as you.

After 4 days, with two pretty similar items:

13% promoted item -- 2 views and 1 watch

Non-promoted item -- More views, more watches >> SALE

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

At this rate eBay's business model is to just hope their remaining sellers are stupid enough to donate money to their dying enterprise. Doubt it serves any considerable returns in sales. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply