cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not the post office.

Sometimes things get stuck in the system.

But why do buyers think I personally work for USPS, FedEx or UPS?

I shipped something on the 1st of May, and it did the classic cross country tour.

But tracking HAS been updating, it's not stuck or sitting somewhere. It's only 2 days past the expected delivery date.

Buyer doesn't even message me, just opens an Item Not Received case.

Really annoys me, what do they expect me to do? Call Louis DeJoy? Personally drive to the sorting facility and give them a stern talking to?

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: I'm not the post office.

@toysaver wrote:

You can make the buyer feel better about the situation by showing you care.  Tell them the exact time you mailed the package.  Let them know the most common scans your packages get and if this package has them- you know the first hub gets to and when.  Let them know you are watching the tracking.  Let them know if the package has been recently scanned.  Let them know you if you have or will open a find my missing mail case if appropriate.  Emphasis how every USPS facility has a help wanted sign hanging on the door.  There are things you can do as a seller.  Buyers don't know all the shipping intricacies you do.  

Well said.

The fact that a buyer has been here 16 years does not mean they understand how eBay works.

Heck, based on some of the posts I read around here ... there are some sellers who have been here 16 years who have no idea how eBay works 🤣

Message 16 of 98
latest reply

Hi,  I think that some of the problem is -- (bear with me) -- I have noticed over sometime that if you happen to ship a purchase that only goes across town it may be delivered the next day.  Now, if you ship an item that goes across the country the Bots will often use the cross town shipment delivery time when estimating the arrival time for the cross country shipment.  I hope that makes sence.

Message 17 of 98
latest reply

The customer buys his item from YOU, he expects YOU to get it to him in time.

If he's unhappy, he's going to be mad at YOU. He's going to complain to YOU.

Although the delay may no be your fault, it is your responsibility.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 18 of 98
latest reply

usps are making excuses for the weather and blaming the wheather for the delays, that is **bleep** from united state postal and there is no wheather issue at all in USA, I have packages ship from miami to miami and it take 1 week for them to deliver and they blame the wheather when i can see wheather here in miami is clear sky all the time, but still it get delays, i use UPS for some product and i do not see problem for delays with UPS, if wheather was the issue as USPS said , UPS packages would be affected as well, why UPS has no problem for delivery? Postal Service have internal issue and all employee working inside Postal service have problem, I take my packages to the same local postal service for the pass 10 years no problem, but for the past 2 months they keep my packages in the particular office for days without sending it to the distribution center, can i say that was the wheater?

Message 19 of 98
latest reply

Here is a prime example of eBay setting unreasonable buyer expectations for estimated arrival date.

I state a 2 -day handling time in my listings to have a little cushion, yet if I would happen to use the whole amount of time due to unforeseen circumstances, eBay's estimated delivery date shown to the buyer would be before I am even required to ship it. Since I normally ship same or next day, eBay disregards my handling time when giving the buyer the estimated arrival date, even though they tell me it has to be within my 2 day handling time. Luckily, I am in the middle of the country and normal GA deliveries take 3-4 days. I feel sorry for those sellers shipping coast to coast.Screenshot 2024-05-09 145511.png

Message 20 of 98
latest reply

Wonder if anything will be noted about the Fed Ex buildings in Michigan destroyed by a tornado yesterday will be noted by eBay.

And yes...I suspect some buyers expect their package delivered even during or after a tornado.

Message 21 of 98
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@toysaver wrote:

You can make the buyer feel better about the situation by showing you care.  Tell them the exact time you mailed the package.  Let them know the most common scans your packages get and if this package has them- you know the first hub gets to and when.  Let them know you are watching the tracking.  Let them know if the package has been recently scanned.  Let them know you if you have or will open a find my missing mail case if appropriate.  Emphasis how every USPS facility has a help wanted sign hanging on the door.  There are things you can do as a seller.  Buyers don't know all the shipping intricacies you do.  

Well said.

The fact that a buyer has been here 16 years does not mean they understand how eBay works.

Perhaps the buyer is tired of not receiving their items at all and they know how to file INR. 

Heck, based on some of the posts I read around here ... there are some sellers who have been here 16 years who have no idea how eBay works 🤣

We have sellers come thru here that have been here 26 years and don't know how eBay works

Posting ID
Message 22 of 98
latest reply

My personal opinion is that the buyer who complains is probably an Amazon shopper.

Disregarding the estimated delivery date he sees in the listing, he places his order, pays and then starts checking hourly for the arrival of his package.      

Message 23 of 98
latest reply

I feel your pain.  Try using the Ebay Standard Envelope and have it not scan or scan "delivered" and get an angry message immediately from the buyer when they "didn't get the package".  

Helicopter buyers who constantly check tracking are ridiculous.  I rarely look at tracking info.  But I'm from Gen X and we had to wait 6-8 weeks for something without tracking back in the day.

Message 24 of 98
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

Well said.

Perhaps the buyer is tired of not receiving their items at all and they know how to file INR. 

We have sellers come thru here that have been here 26 years and don't know how eBay works

Coincidentally I've been here 26 years... it's complex, I don't know how everything works, especially if I've never used it before (ie markdowns). Also some things don't work as they should (sending offers, and making immediate payment required - pay individually).

I also probably don't know what to do with every scam that happens, and thankfully being here 26 years means I don't see all the juvenile scams the new members see when they try to sell something.

But I read the forum a lot (way more than I actually post) to try and learn stuff.

C.

Message 25 of 98
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Well said.

Message 26 of 98
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Well said.

Heck, based on some of the posts I read around here ... there are some sellers who have been here 16 years who have no idea how eBay works 

steady2304_0-1715289795285.png

We have sellers come thru here that have been here 26 years and don't know how eBay wor

@luckythewinner

Actually, that should read "We have sellers that have been here 26 years and know exactly how eBay works. We just know when something isn't right and aren't afraid to speak up unlike some other posters here. We don't just sit back and take it."

Message 27 of 98
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubles wrote:

Buyer doesn't even message me, just opens an Item Not Received case.

I have had a couple buyers who did the same thing and opened an INR. Turns out, some buyers literally open the INR to "notify" the seller. It literally says on eBay's pages that:

"you can let the seller know by reporting that you didn't receive it"

I wish buyers knew they could literally just message you to "notify" you. Some of these buyers apologized to me and didn't realize they could just message me and agreed to do that in the future. Sometimes a little buyer education goes a long way.

They don't realize an INR is harmful to us. Literally can be solved with a harmless message.

Love the buyers who file INRs when the item is literally about to be delivered the next day, I've seen buyers who literally can't read tracking info or choose not to.

Message 28 of 98
latest reply

Sadly, you get a regular on these boards instructing buyers to file one day after the estimated delivery date.  

Message 29 of 98
latest reply

Unless they are a Chinese seller. Then they give them all the time they want. I purchsed a couple small circuits froma Chinese seller on April 22nd. Normally I won't buy from China sellers but these are small items that only cost a few bucks and I am in no hurry for them and waiting 30 days no biggie. After I purchased them I get the estimated arrival date of.... July 10th! (that's over 11 weeks, 79 days)

I didn't even think you could have a delivery date of more than 30 days. Apparently Chinese don't have to play by the same rules.

Message 30 of 98
latest reply