cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Mercari and Others Eating Ebay’s Lunch?

How can Ebay continue to raise fees for sellers while traffic and sales decline and so much competition is out there?

Example For Sellers:

Mercari sellers pay 0% fees.  Cash out fees:  $2.00 per direct deposit or $3.00 per instant pay transfer.

Ebay sellers pay $0.35 after free insertion fees and in most categories minimum 13.25% - 15% FVF plus store fees, promotion ad fees, and other upgrade fees.

Example For Buyers:

Mercuri buyers pay 2.9% + 0.50 payment processing fee.

Ebay buyers pay 0% fees.

Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

Re: Is Mercari and Others Eating Ebay’s Lunch?

Not to mention that an auction house that traditionally charges purchase fees and Mercari buy/sell marketplace are two different animals.

ETA: So now my stuff just sits there. Thanks, Mercari.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 110
latest reply

Yeah, with an established auction house at least it feels like the fees are going to a particular purpose, i.e. keeping the auction house running smoothly and professionally. But Mercari?

Message 17 of 110
latest reply

Then add sales tax on top of that! 

Message 18 of 110
latest reply

There's also a discrepancy:

Example For Sellers:

Mercari sellers pay 0% fees.  Cash out fees:  $2.00 per direct deposit or $3.00 per instant pay transfer.

Ebay sellers pay $0.35 after free insertion fees and in most categories minimum 13.25% - 15% FVF plus store fees, promotion ad fees, and other upgrade fees.  No cash-out fee except for instant transfer.

None of the highlighted items are essential.  Also, Mercari does have a promotional program. Like Poshmark's, it's expensive and doesn't work very well.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 19 of 110
latest reply

@american-photography wrote:

How can Ebay continue to raise fees for sellers while traffic and sales decline and so much competition is out there?

Example For Sellers:

Ebay sellers pay $0.35 after free insertion fees and in most categories minimum 13.25% - 15% FVF plus store fees, promotion ad fees, and other upgrade fees.

Example For Buyers:

Ebay buyers pay 0% fees.

Mercari does have fees, who ever told you they have 0% fee needs to stop smoking whatever they are smoking! 
But as to are they eating Ebay's lunch - no where nears! Sites like Mercari seem to be this great place, but then you quickly learn how sales are only few and far between from your ebay activity, fees aren't any break and majority of buyers there want everything free and mail you 20 times about price. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 20 of 110
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

Example For Sellers:

Example For Buyers:

Ebay buyers pay 0% fees.

Mercari does have fees, who ever told you they have 0% fee needs to stop smoking whatever they are smoking! 
But as to are they eating Ebay's lunch - no where nears! Sites like Mercari seem to be this great place, but then you quickly learn how sales are only few and far between from your ebay activity, fees aren't any break and majority of buyers there want everything free and mail you 20 times about price. 

They transferred seller fees onto buyers in the last few weeks.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 21 of 110
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

Example For Sellers:

Example For Buyers:

Ebay buyers pay 0% fees.

They transferred seller fees onto buyers in the last few weeks.

i haven't been there in sometime, a year maybe...account still there just never go. In any case, transfer to buyer whatever, still fee, and selling there is horrid. In 30 days I had 62 ebay orders, 1 Mercari, as example, I'll stick here. 

Message 22 of 110
latest reply

Mercari is not desperate, not even close. Their financials don't lie, they have seen quarter after quarter of consecutive growth, literally year over year; while ebay has seen year after year of decline.

Message 23 of 110
latest reply

I think you need to look at those financials again.

Message 24 of 110
latest reply

There are no fees for sellers on Mercari other than a $2 fee to cash out, or if you havent updated your listings from before March 27th. You can simply edit and add a line of text, its updated, no fees.

I have not been charged a red cent in fees for any of my recent sales there.

Message 25 of 110
latest reply

Yeah, I have looked at them, and their financials show solid growth literally year over year! ebay cannot say the same. According to financial analysts, ebay has lost billions of dollars in sales over the past 2 years alone, as well as millions of buyers and sellers.

That's fine that you hate Mercari, but seriously stop lying.

Message 26 of 110
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

There are no fees for sellers on Mercari other than a $2 fee to cash out, or if you havent updated your listings from before March 27th. You can simply edit and add a line of text, its updated, no fees.

I have not been charged a red cent in fees for any of my recent sales there.

yeah, was told already above, though no fee seller but buyer is still a fee, and items costing buyers more money is never good. There are some items / categories that do well on Mercari, I sold quite a few collectible gaming related items there, not my primary business though here is and after 2 or 3 years there there is no comparison, thousands more orders/dollars made here, hands down, in my case, Mercari is waste of time. 

Message 27 of 110
latest reply

ebay can do whatever they want, but at the end of the day they are going to lose to Mercari!

Logic would say zero fees is a better bet for anyone in the e-commerce realm.

I'm sick and tired of giving ebay all my profits, they take 25% of the sale on average, leaving me with little to nothing once everything is said and done. The store subscription isnt worth it anymore either.

Mercari was smart enough to realize its the products being offered that translate to potential sales and growth.

Despite the ebay cheerleaders incessant lying, Mercari has plenty of traffic and I am getting plenty of sales there. In fact, my traffic on Mercari is easily 5X the traffic I get on ebay.

Half of my listings on ebay havent had a view in months, some no views at all, dont have this issue with Mercari.

Message 28 of 110
latest reply

When I was involved with the auction houses here, the buyers paid a premium and the consignor also paid a fee.
The house was getting money from both parties.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 29 of 110
latest reply

It is my opinion that this is a temporary maneuver by Mercari.

I sell video games, I have one thousand unique Super Famicom games listed on eBay right now.  That is more unique games than Mercari has in total on Super Famicom.  I am not unique on eBay, nor the largest yet.

eBay has the strength of true diversity of product and items.  Mercari has leftovers that cannot fetch the same prices as eBay.

I believe that this move by Mercari is to get many many sellers and new items, and in two years they will begin to make policies that favor the buyer instead once they have a captive seller audience.

Message 30 of 110
latest reply