cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential buyer is asking me to send them an offer?

I have an item that has a best offer option.  I have a potential buyer who contacted me through ebay messages.  They asked me if I'd accept their offer.  I said I would.  They then asked me to send them an offer.  I told them I don't understand the issue, they can just make offer on my item and we'd do the deal.  I've never heard of a seller providing an offer to a buyer.  Buyer has only been on ebay since March, 2024 and has 100% positive reviews, but only 12 of them.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Potential buyer is asking me to send them an offer?

You can send an offer through messages if the buyer has messaged you first.  To me, it sounds like they are looking for more time to pay.  An offer through messages is not immediate payment required and they have 4 days to pay once accepted by you.  Making a best offer means they have to pay up front.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

perhaps the problem is about understanding accepting an offer.While you might agree to actually allow an offer to be made, the potential buyer might construe that to mean you accept the amount they offer. There isa big difference

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

They then asked me to send them an offer.  

@edrumer 

You have your "Buyer requirements" set to require a buyer to put up a payment source in order to make an offer in the first place.  You probably don't know that eBay placed this on your account with the default set to YES.  

You can see it here: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

What that means to the buyer:  

Their payment options would be limited.  They are not able to use Google Pay, Apple Pay, Spendable funds, PayPal Pay in 4, or PayPal credit. etc. etc.   Since the only item you have w/ Best Offer is rather expensive, that may be the reason why they are asking.   Under this scenario, the buyer's payment source (if they choose one that is left after all the ones eBay will disallow) will be billed automatically. 

However,  anyway if YOU SEND AN OFFER.  eBay has been rolling out their "new" feature where all SELLER GENERATED (sent by you) offers will be immediate payment required.  At least the buyer will be able to choose the way they want to pay.  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Since the only item you have w/ Best Offer is rather expensive, that may be the reason why they are asking.

@edrumer : A $500 pair of sunglasses by a seller with feedback of 228 and no sales within the past 12 months is going to be a scammer magnet, so proceed carefully.

As you have Make Offer on the listing and you have already accepted this guy's offer in principle, I would just knock the price down to the accepted amount, remove the Make Offer option, and set the Immediate Payment Required checkbox (if it's not already checked). That way he cannot take your item off the market without actually paying you for it first, and he can pay promptly with whatever payment method you offer. If he ghosts you after that, someone else may buy it instead.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

That way he cannot take your item off the market without actually paying you for it first...

@a_c_green 

Very good points.  Thank you! 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

I would just knock the price down to the accepted amount, remove the Make Offer option, and set the Immediate Payment Required checkbox (if it's not already checked). That way he cannot take your item off the market without actually paying you for it first, and he can pay promptly with whatever payment method you offer. If he ghosts you after that, someone else may buy it instead.

This is always what I do.  I tell the person that I'll make the price $x for him or for anyone else, and that the price will go back to the original price in 24-48 hours.

If he doesn't buy it in that time, I won't lower it again for that buyer ...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply