cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund issue

Hey everyone,

How do I go about denying a refund? Customer bought a product from me and  they want a refund because the package isn't perfect. I showed the imperfections in the photos. I don't think they deserve a refund. The money is already spent. Maybe I'm wrong but I think I should be able to deny it.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Refund issue

@pacoo-9161   If u deny the refund, ebay will both refund and allow the buyer to keep the item and then charge your account for the refund.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@pacoo-9161 wrote:

How do I go about denying a refund? Customer bought a product from me and  they want a refund because the package isn't perfect. I showed the imperfections in the photos. I don't think they deserve a refund. The money is already spent. Maybe I'm wrong but I think I should be able to deny it.

Generally you cannot deny it (see the details of the Money Back Guarantee) but if the buyer has filed a Not As Described claim you can at least ask for the item to be returned before sending the refund. Send the buyer a return label through the claim process and see if they use it. If they miss their deadline to ship it back to you then you will not have to refund.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

They said it arrived damaged. Can I still get my item back?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

@pacoo-9161 wrote:

If you want it back - sure. For the prices you have been getting for those Hot Wheels cars I would say you should definitely get the item back. Did the buyer send any photos of the damage? How was it mailed? (Box or padded envelope?)

Unfortunately as a zero-feedback seller with high-value high-scam items you will probably have these claims again in future. Scam buyers may return an empty box or a different car or a trinket mailed to a different address within your Zip code (so they have 'proof' that something was returned even though you did not actually get it.) Do not start on Ebay by selling items that you cannot afford to lose completely. Hopefully you have an honest buyer who will return the item they bought from you. Good luck.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

If the buyer has filed an INAD, you can't deny a refund, but it's up to you if you want the item returned before you refund.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@pacoo-9161 wrote:

@pacoo-9161  yes, but if it was insured, u should make an insurance claim first.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Thank you for the response. I'm so upset I didn't know this prior to selling on ebay. I'm helping my aunt sell my late uncles collection. This absolutely kills me cause I can't cover the costs. Hopefully the buyers are honest otherwise I'm absolutely in trouble. Thank you 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@pacoo-9161 wrote:

You can but you have to pay to get it back and then give them all their money back.

So decide if it is worth giving them 100% of their money back and also paying for the return shipping.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@pacoo-9161 wrote:

Thank you for the response. I'm so upset I didn't know this prior to selling on ebay. I'm helping my aunt sell my late uncles collection. This absolutely kills me cause I can't cover the costs. Hopefully the buyers are honest otherwise I'm absolutely in trouble. Thank you 

Yes - definitely stop listing high-value collectibles until you at least have a visible record as a seasoned seller. Even then there are some items that are better sold as Local Pickup Only.

So getting back to this particular claim: have you seen any photos? What is the buyer claiming has happened? Was this for the $1000+ sale? (I hope not)

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Yes they sent a picture of the package having some imperfections but the same imperfections I showed in the picture. No it's not the 1000+ but I'm nervous now. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@pacoo-9161 wrote:

Yes they sent a picture of the package having some imperfections but the same imperfections I showed in the picture. No it's not the 1000+ but I'm nervous now. 

Okay...

"Dear buyer - I am sorry you are not satisfied with the item. You may return it for a full refund."

Repeat if necessary if the buyer is argumentative or demands a partial refund. You COULD offer a partial refund and let the buyer keep the item but you are not required to haggle a partial refund if you do not want to. You CAN require that the item be returned to you first after sending them a return label. At minimum it will be several days before the package will reach you so you have some time to get refund money together.

PS - There are some buyers who will try this strategy with every purchase - especially against new sellers - so be aware of your right to request a return before refunding and do not be bullied (if it comes to that).

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your advice 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

When you sell online, the money isn't safe for at least 6 months.

If buyers pay using their credit card, they can file a claim 6 months later and some even longer.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Did you add signature confirmation onto the one that sold for over $1000?

Message 15 of 26
latest reply