cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong returns sent to wrong sellers

I returned two items I bought from two different sellers, but when I sent out the returns, they each went to the wrong seller. 
How do I make this right?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Wrong returns sent to wrong sellers

Did you just put the wrong shipping label on each one, or did the shipping label itself get printed wrong for each one?

This really belongs on the Buying board, btw, and will probably be moved there by the mods.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You should try to intercept both packages from USPS and have them sent back to you.

https://www.usps.com/manage/package-intercept.htm

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

You would have to send each of those sellers money to return those items to you, then reship to the correct seller out of your pocket. Since this was your error, looks like whatever refund you were looking to get will be all spent on shipping back and forth.  
To avoid this issue in the future, package and label one return at a time. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

You should contact both sellers and let them know what happened.

If it's not to late, see if you can have the packages intercepted and returned so you can return them to the right seller.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

It's probably karma for having 2 eBay items to return at the same time.   I've only had one item to return in 25 years of shopping.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It happens and it can be frustrating. It happened to me a while back and did not know until the customers contacted me. I bent over backwards to make sure they were not mad and luckily both buyers were understanding. Both suggested they would forward the package to the correct address (buyers had to mail it) and i would just refund the price of shipping from their purchase. They provided me tracking numbers which i checked daily and messaged them daily so they felt good. Very stressful and i learned a great lesson of making sure i take my time when shipping out orders.

The other option was to have them do a return and start from scratch once you get the items back. Both ended up giving me positive feedback which was great as well.

Your best bet is to communicate to each buyer so they feel good and confident that you will take care of them.  I think most people out there understand mistakes happen.

-Good Luck

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

After contacting each seller with an explanation, if the USPS intercept doesn't work (there is a cost involved) you might ask each seller to write Refused Return To Sender on the package and drop it at their local post office. Eventually you would receive one or both back and you can make things right. You will probably have to pay for new labels to return them to their rightful seller.

I assume you opened return cases against each seller, correct? 

Should you decide paying for shipping labels is more than you want to spend to get a refund you can always close the return cases, keep the items and sell them yourself. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Should you decide paying for shipping labels is more than you want to spend to get a refund you can always close the return cases, keep the items and sell them yourself. 

^^^ This is the best solution. The sellers are already out the money for return shipping labels as well as going through the hassle of the returns. If you @pepto.dismal take the losses, it's an inexpensive education to the school of hard knocks and a mistake you aren't likely to make again.

BTW, love that ID @pepto.dismal !

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

It's unfair to say someone is getting bad karma for having two returns at the same time when you don't know what they received or the situation... and you are not them... so your 1 return in 25 years doesn't mean anything... but since you brought it up...

I've been buying for 21 years and had around 6 returns, but should have had at least 30 something by now due to sellers who passed the vetting process but still turned out to be lying cheats. I keep my numbers low by picking my battles and keeping garbage that really deserves to be returned.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

The OP is the buyer and accidentally swapped two returns and sent them back to two different sellers.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

You would have to send each of those sellers money to return those items to you, then reship to the correct seller out of your pocket. Since this was your error, looks like whatever refund you were looking to get will be all spent on shipping back and forth.  
To avoid this issue in the future, package and label one return at a time. 

Ideally this should be the correct answer. Ask me what will actually happen in eBay once the incorrectly addressed packages gets delivered to the two sellers, especially if whatever resolution you plan takes longer than 2 days. 😑

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

After contacting each seller with an explanation, if the USPS intercept doesn't work (there is a cost involved) you might ask each seller to write Refused Return To Sender on the package and drop it at their local post office. Eventually you would receive one or both back and you can make things right. You will probably have to pay for new labels to return them to their rightful seller.

I assume you opened return cases against each seller, correct? 

This would also be a correct answer in an ideal world. Ask me what will actually happen in eBay once those packages arrive to the two sellers 2 days afterwards, regardless if they end up refusing (return to sender) or not.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@pepto.dismal wrote:

How do I make this right?

#1) You do whatever you have to do to get the right item back to the right seller regardless of the cost.

#2) You learn from this and try not to let it happen again.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@pepto.dismal 

Thinking about your ordeal a bit more. If the sellers received the wrong items, they might decide to give you a partial refund since what you sent wasn't what you bought. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply