cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay France Error When Trying To Sell Guerlain Perfume In US

Hi All,

I'm getting this error when I try to list a new, unopened bottle of Guerlain Shalimar perfume:

error.jpg

I've contacted eBay customer service multiple times and was told it's a bug, as I'm not offering international shipping and am not on the eBay France website at all. I've changed multiple things in the listing to avoid mentioning France or Paris, all to no avail. I'm still waiting on a response to the "escalation" that was sent to the eBay IT team by customer service (though I'm not sure that it won't get lost amongst a million other escalations). 

Has anybody ever come across this problem? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: eBay France Error When Trying To Sell Guerlain Perfume In US

Also, many other sellers are selling this same perfume successfully. The only way I can post it is to not include either Guerlain or Shalimar anywhere in the listing, but this makes no sense as to why others are able to sell it on eBay 😞

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

What exactly does the warning say?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

How are you shipping it?  Perfume is flammable and has special requirements for US shipping.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@gtmstores wrote:

Also, many other sellers are selling this same perfume successfully.

Have you tried going to one of those other sellers' listings and clicking the "sell one like this" link under their listing photos?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

What exactly does the warning say?

The warning thinks the seller is listing on .fr however the seller said they are on the .com site.

I looked at a few of your listings  @gtmstores and it appears you are not enrolled in eBay International Shipping, however you do offer direct international shipping on some items. But you said you excluded all international shipping from this listing, correct? And you're definitely on the .com site?

Unfortunately, you will not be able to continue with your ad. Due to legal restrictions, certain brands of perfumes and cosmetics cannot be offered on eBay.fr. Please contact the rights holder for more information about the restrictions applied to your item.
We wish you much success on eBay.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

It looks like you figured out the problem as I now see you have the item listed. Was it because you were on the France site other than the .com site. That would be the only reason I could think of that the warning would be in French rather than English. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1714627710091.png

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

They used a symbol for the S in Shalimar and the G in Guerlain to get around the restriction @dbfolks166mt .

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

They used a symbol for the S in Shalimar and the G in Guerlain to get around the restriction 

?? Not understanding your response. The title still reads Guerlain Shalimar on the active listing. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Yes, but the G is not a G and the S is not an S. They are text characters. Like these: ẞÜƬƬƐɌ

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

They used a symbol for the S in Shalimar and the G in Guerlain to get around the restriction 

?? Not understanding your response. The title still reads Guerlain Shalimar on the active listing. 

When I first saw that listing yesterday, the title read "6uerlain $halimar". Since then they have revised it so that the G and the S are different fonts from the rest of the title. If you look close you can see that the S in Shalimar is different from the S in Spray. The G in Guerlain is also a different font, but it's harder to see.

lacemaker3_1-1714654694841.png

Around 15 - 20 years ago, this block (with the error message in French) would happen if the seller's computer settings were set up to include the French language. I haven't heard about this happening for years. I don't even remember where to look for this in settings (this was many operating systems ago), but I remember it was the user's computer that had to be changed, not anything in their eBay account.

@gtmstores, you should look into that and see if you can find some language setting to tweak on your computer or mobile device.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Going be hard to find with search...

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Actually, the listing shows up in a search for Shalimar when I type it in:

lacemaker3_0-1714665359123.png

But not for "guerlain" or "Guerlain" if I type them in. I'm not sure what is going on with that "G".

If I copy and paste the word "ԍuerlain" from the search results or the listing page, then it works ... you can see the weird small-capital letter in the search box:

lacemaker3_2-1714665937180.png

Message 13 of 13
latest reply