cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New policy? What does this mean?

We’re reaching out to let you know that, starting May 15, your listings that display calculated shipping will default to showing eBay Labels discounted shipping rates. The new default rates will apply to all of your active and future listings that offer calculated shipping; listings with free or flat rate shipping won’t be affected.

We’re making this change to help your listings attract more buyers by offering a lower shipping cost. To get the discounted rate that will be displayed on your listing, make sure to purchase your shipping labels through eBay Labels.

---------------

I don't use 'calculated shipping', I do a fixed cost for my small light shipments.

This won't have any effect on me ... right?

So, for you sellers that DO use calculated shipping, they're taking the extra bump out of shipping which, I assume helps to cover the cost of shipping supplies, and your time.  That's gone too, now?

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: New policy? What does this mean?

@lp9999au wrote:

If Ebay didn't offer First Class Postage, then why was First Class Postage an available option when I listed my item????

@lp9999au 

Because many sellers use First Class envelope and don't worry about not having a tracking number they just put stamps on it and send it off. That is why you can use it on the listing page. eBay only supplies labels that have tracking. That is why you can't purchase a First Class envelope label. 

Message 46 of 52
latest reply

Is there an actual link that was in that email? I haven't gotten it yet but would like to opt out ASAP.

Message 47 of 52
latest reply

Message 48 of 52
latest reply

I use pirate ship too.  I have noticed some differences in pricing --sometimes on an item ebay is cheaper sometimes pirate ship so I just choose the cheaper one.  But they are usually the same.

Message 49 of 52
latest reply

Ahhh, Ebay is not going to lose money. Right now they make roughly 15% on shipping (final value fee on shipping and transaction fee on shipping). But if you are shipping through Ebay, they are making money on that shipping....a lot of money on it.

High volume shippers get really good negotiated rates with UPS/FedEx. An item with a lot of DIM weight might cost 10% -15% of retail rates. And with Ebay's volume, they are probably getting an even better rate. Especially when they can negotiate UPS against FedEx.

So giving us a 50% discount, they are still making 35% +.

This is just the beginning.

Not to mention that you are paying the shipping up front. Not a week or month later. The more money they hold, the more interest they accrue. i also suspect, but don't know for sure, the more money they have in reserve the more they can lend...look up fractional reserve lending.

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

Makes no sense to offer a service you can't use.

Message 51 of 52
latest reply

THANK YOU.  I've been using USPS Ground Advantage and it has the best calculated rates so far.  Very happy to offer better discounted rates information on my listings. Thank you very much.

Message 52 of 52
latest reply