cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about International Shipping

jaslyns_vintage_finds_n_more_0-1712305552584.png

If you see above, I am trying to use the new Ebay International shipping program. I am already opted in on my account settings as I have checked. I usually don't allow international shipping but am for one item so I'm making a shipping policy for it. And it's going to Japan. So in my excluded locations, you don't see Japan. My issue is..when I go to my item when I use this policy, it's still only showing shipping to the US.  Do I also have to add other international shipping services in the image above?  I wanted to make sure that only the ebay international shipping program was used so I can ship to the hub and I would not have to deal with any customs paperwork. That is why I didn't select the other international shipping services.  Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Question about International Shipping

The policy is fine.

1. What's the item number? It might not qualify for other reasons.

2. On this shipping preferences page, under exclude shipping locations, do you see a number next to 'international' off to the right? https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

The policy is fine.

1. What's the item number? It might not qualify for other reasons.

2. On this shipping preferences page, under exclude shipping locations, do you see a number next to 'international' off to the right? https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hello.....

#1- Item  number is 196285862527

#2- Yes, 218.   Which I believe is the number of excluded countries. Which is the reason I was making a separate policy to allow somebody from Japan to buy this.  

Thanks for your help!!! 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Hi @jaslyns_vintage_finds_n_more . Regarding point 1 - I can see Asia is excluded on that listing, which means Japan is excluded under the Asia umbrella.

Assuming you applied the new biz policy to that listing, the one that does not exclude Japan/Asia, then ...

Regarding point 2 - that number 218 refers to account-level exclusions which will override any biz policy level exclusions. If Japan is excluded at your account level that's what's causing the problem.

Unfortunately eBay removed the ability to edit exclusions at the account level once someone has opted in to biz policies. It's created a lot of issues like the one you're experiencing.

You can opt out of biz policies, remove all account-level exclusions, then re-opt in to biz policies and manage exclusions at the biz policy level.

Honestly, I've never opted out of biz policies so I don't know if doing that will force you to start from scratch when you opt in again, or if your old policies will be there waiting. Unfortunately I suspect it's the former.

I've helped a lot of sellers opt in to and set up their biz policies the past year. The first step I tell them before they opt in is to remove all account-level exclusions. Then opt in and manage exclusions on each biz policy.

I really hate that eBay has created this problem for us. We used to be able to edit account-level exclusions while using biz policies, but eBay changed it 2-3 years ago.

GLORIOUS!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Point 1 - got it. I have the separate policy that I didn't apply yet which is the reason you are still seeing Asia as an exclusion. 

Point 2- Wow, so I will suggest to this buyer that he possibly find a forwarding service in the USA to ship this to Japan. As I have used a lot of forwarding services in the past and never had an issue. If that doesn't work, I am probably going to just tell the buyer that I can't ship to Japan.

Any other suggestions?    

Thanks so much for your help by the way.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

First apply the new biz policy you created. See if Asia is still excluded on the listing. If Asia is not part of your account level exclusions (unfortunately you won't even have visibility to what's excluded so this type of trial and error is the only way to find out short of what I mentioned in my last post), then applying the new biz policy will open up the listing to eIS for buyers in Asia.

If Asia is still excluded after applying the new policy, and you don't want to go through the hassle of opting out and re-setting up your biz policies, then my only other suggestion would have been the step you already reached on your own, which is to suggest the buyer uses a freight forwarder.

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

So I just applied the new policy, you will in the listing that every country in Asia is excluded, except the country of Japan. But something still doesn't look right which is why I feel what you have indicated (Asia not part of my account level exclusions) is happening.

Please take a look at my listing when you get a chance and let me know how you feel?  Thanks.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I've been able to sell to buyers in countries to which I don't ship by adding the buyer to my buyer exemption list: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/ExemptBuyers

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Excellent @albertabrightalberta , I forgot about that. Try adding your buyer to the exemption list @jaslyns_vintage_finds_n_more .

I'm not sure if it will solve the problem though because that listing still does not offer international shipping anywhere. I'm worried if the buyer is exempt they will won't see eIS but will instead run into a message they have to contact the seller for shipping, and if the seller is not willing to ship direct that puts them back at square 1.

I'd give it 24 hours to see if eIS appears - sometimes opting in can take a day to go into effect.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Thanks, I see that. Would the Ebay International Shipping (EIS) rules still apply then?  Forward to a hub?  Ebay then takes care of the rest? 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@jaslyns_vintage_finds_n_more wrote:

Thanks, I see that. Would the Ebay International Shipping (EIS) rules still apply then?  Forward to a hub?  Ebay then takes care of the rest? 

I haven't done it since EIS was implemented so I don't know how it would work. 

I'm a bit confused though. 

What I don't understand is why your Japanese buyer isn't able to buy from you since the item wouldn't be international shipping (for you) but would be handled by ebay. Even if YOU excluded buyers' countries because you don't ship internationally, the buyer would get the item through EIS and wouldn't be circumventing your desire not to ship internationally. 

Unless you are wanting to ship directly to him/her in Japan (rather than EIS), I can't see a reason for changing your shipping policy or for adding him to your exemption list. 

Am I missing something? 

albertabrightalberta

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Thank you both for your help. I took the policy off. I could see something weird happening with somebody else from Japan buying this and then the EIS isn't applied and I have to pay for all the shipping fees to the country.  I am just going to suggest to the buyer that if he wants, I would more than gladly offer the freight forwarding. And if he doesn't, I will just wait from somebody from the US to buy it. 

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

Even if YOU excluded buyers' countries because you don't ship internationally, the buyer would get the item through EIS and wouldn't be circumventing your desire not to ship internationally. Am I missing something? 

A seller's exclusions override eIS @albertabrightalberta . If you block Japan, buyers with a shipping address in Japan cannot purchase your item through eIS or otherwise.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@jaslyns_vintage_finds_n_more wrote:

I could see something weird happening with somebody else from Japan buying this and then the EIS isn't applied and I have to pay for all the shipping fees to the country. 

I meant to bring that up but got carried away by the EIS thing! 

Yes, by allowing shipping to Japan, any Japanese buyer would be able to purchase your items.

albertabrightalberta

Message 14 of 14
latest reply