cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller mixed up my order with another buyer’s order.

I purchased a pair of Cole Haan sneakers from a seller. When the package came in, it was not a pair of sneakers, but a pair of jeans. I quickly contacted the seller and asked what had happened. He said he mixed up me and another buyer’s order, and that the other buyer was going to ship me my package. I agreed to do the same and ship the other buyer his/her package. However, the other buyer has not yet shipped my package after two weeks. How can I resolve this? I’ve contacted the seller, but have not gotten a response.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Seller mixed up my order with another buyer’s order.

Did you ship it??

You should have filed and item not as described case and got a return label to the seller and then the refund.

You should never mail a received item to some one else but the seller.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

This does happen, and is always tricky because even if the seller pays for forwarding, there are three people in the relationship and as Princess Diana remarked, that gets crowded.

You have 30 days from Delivery to open an Item Not As Described dispute and get a refund.

This is going to require cooperation from the seller, since normally in a NAD the unwanted item is returned to the seller.

He has to in this case:

• understand that you have shipped to the other buyer
  • hope that the shipment has arrived, at a time when all shipping is slowed by the pandemic
  • accept that whether the jeans buyer reships the sneakers, the seller still owes you either your shoes or your money

And eBay is not really set up to help with this.

He should ethically, be refunding you whether the shoes are shipped by Jeans Buyer or not.

And if/when the shoes turn up, you should be returning the refund to the seller.

Good faith is needed all around.

Remember that you also have 180 days from Payment to dispute the transaction through Paypal.

But.

PP required the buyer to return the unwanted item to the Seller, on the buyer's dime, and not to another address. 

The seller again would have to state in a PP dispute that he did not want the return (since you can't return what you don't have).

You are also covered by the chargeback policy of the credit card I hope you use to back your PP account.

At this point, all is dependent on Jeans Buyer.

And there are deadlines involved.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@chris-closet - That's very kind of you to want to help the seller but it's also not your responsibility and will most likely complicate matters more than help. You also stand to lose your original purchase. Sometimes are mistakes cost us a little but that ensures that we learn a valuable lesson and prevent it from occurring again. This will never happen to this seller again now. 

The best idea is for you to simply open a return for item not as described. The seller will then send you a return label, follow the instructions completely by returning the item using the prepaid label. You will be refunded in total and can then either purchase the correct sneakers from the same seller to help them out or just purchase them from another seller. There is a time restriction for returns so good to get on that right away. Best of luck to you....

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Buyers should never mail the item to the other buyer, they need to mail it back to the buyer and the buyer needs to reship the item to the correct buyer. 

Open a dispute and ask for a refund because you never received your item and open a item not as descried dispute. The seller is not protected because he voided it by having his buyer ship the item to you and he never did. He should have had you both mail the items back to him for him to reship. And another worse thing, you may have voided the item not as described dispute because you can't return the item anymore so I don't know what ebay is going to do when you ask them to step in. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Seller wants you to cover for their mistake and they were wrong to want you to fix it for them. Lazy seller, imo.

" I agreed to do the same and ship the other buyer his/her package."

If you already did that, I cannot see a good outcome, except for the other "buyer"

-------------
Posting ID
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@chris-closet 

Never agree to fix a sellers problem by shipping a wrong item to another buyer.

If you already shipped the item, there isn't much you can do if the other buyer doesn't ship your item or the seller refunds you.

You can't file an INR, because tracking shows you did receive something.

You can't file an INAD now because you have nothing to send back.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 7
latest reply